Question 3 years old Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH performance drop

Jun 26, 2023
Hi guys!

A couple of days ago my laptop fans suddenly went quiet (didn't turn off, it was just really silent) and my performance in game dropped to 30fps (usually around 180). I updated all drivers and BIOS but the performance was still bad, and the fans weren't loud like they usually are while playing. I took my laptop apart and cleaned the fans, which seemingly solved the issue, I had no problem with non-demanding games. However I still have problems running more demanding games that used to run decently. I did a 3DMark test (Time Spy) and it performed way below average. I will take it to a professional to have a look at it, but I wanted to ask if there's anything I can do before that.
Specs: Intel Core i7-9750H, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 16GB RAM

Here's a link to the benchmark results: http://www.3dmark.com/spy/39612687
I scored 1814 and the average is 5639. I didn't run a benchmark before the issues I've discribed.

Any help is appreciated!

Looks like your gpu is having a problem. The memory specifically. Instead of running at its rated 1500mhz it is running at 242mhz. T5hat would account for the large drop in performance along with quieting of the cooling fans on the gpu. You can use Msi Afterburner to see if you can manually bump up the memory, but I think it will probably have to be looked.

Jun 26, 2023
Looks like your gpu is having a problem. The memory specifically. Instead of running at its rated 1500mhz it is running at 242mhz. T5hat would account for the large drop in performance along with quieting of the cooling fans on the gpu. You can use Msi Afterburner to see if you can manually bump up the memory, but I think it will probably have to be looked.
Do you think it will be repairable, or do I just have to get a new one?

Jun 26, 2023
I couldn't say. What would be cheaper paying a tech to look at it - money, then offer a repair or replacement- money, then installation - money - or just buying a new laptop?
It is fixed, my laptop was overheating (my temps seemed normal but I guess not), but your input on the memory frequency helped a lot, so thank you again!