30 fps but lagging

mufaddal

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
i have got burnout paradise.. installed n my rig is
AMD Phenom II x2 550 BE
MSi hd 4850 , 2gb RAM

i play burnout at 8xAA max settings.. generally i get 60 FPS cap
but when alot of cars are in the screen and smoke the FPS sometimes drops to 40 range FPS ...
although 40 FPS is not laggy .. it seems like its stuttering.. in these moments when FPS drops from 50s to 40s or sometimes 30s ....
why is that ?? and shouldnt my gfx card becapable of giving constant FPS in this game....
peak temperatures during burnout are 57 C
while running other games temp peaks at 64 C

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
Particle effects (smoke) and large amount of on screen textures (other cars) drop a lot of load onto the Graphics, and FPS drops during these times is completely normal. General stuttering could be a result of your 2gb of system ram (especially if you are running Vista), background processes stealing CPU time, or even possible heat build up in your case.

Your issues (FPS and stutter) may not be directly related.

hallowed_dragon

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008

Constant FPS :ouch: That is not going to happen with any card in any game. FPS will drop when there is something complicated to be drawn. The problem is how much the FPS drops and that depends on the power of the card. I agree that game is not so demanding but 8xAA is a lot and you are running the game with 2GB or RAM only. You failed to specify the resolution you are running at and the RAM quantity of the 4850. If you are running the game at 1920x1200 or something similar than 512 MB or RAM on the card with the added 8xAA in heavy scenes explain the drops in FPS.
So please tell us your resolution and, hmm... what is your OS, because that can eat a lot of your 2GB of RAM and the FPS drops might be explained by that also.

its really simple and quite common too. If say for example your getting 60 FPS for awhile and then suddenly your FPS drops to 40 in a single second your going to notice it, thats what the stuttering is. Even though 40 FPS is still playable, its the drop in FPS that is noticable

I would do 2 things, 1) enable V-sync 2) turn off AA

mufaddal

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009

i have WInddows XP SP 3 OS .. and RAM speed is 400 mhz

mufaddal

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009

resolution 1440 x 900.
OS win xp sp3
RAm speed 400 mhz

hallowed_dragon

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008

The RAM might be limiting you for some parts, but as the other posters said it is a natural thing. Take in what omgitzfatal suggested and enable V-Sync and lower the AA levels. I don't think you need all 8xAA.