Question 30 gb writes to disk in 2 hours with all apps closed [Windows 10] ?

May 5, 2021
First of all I do have searched this forum and other with no satisfying solution.
Yesterday I had 30gb writes in about 2 hours with all apps closed except explorer
today I disabled the following:
indexing service,
antivirus/defender,
telemetry (only required)
privacy settings off
temp folders moved to another disk
cortana disabled
one drive
hibernation off
chrome cache folder moved to another drive(although it was closed)
I have also run debloating scripts to turn off all unwanted services
====================
after all these I still get 6Gb in 2 hours, that is about 3GB/hour

The biggest processes that write to disk are
Explorer.exe
Systrem (4)

Before that it was MsMpEng.exe which is the defender/antivirus

Writes have been confirmed with crystal disk info and anothe program.
So what is all that about? Don't tell me not to worry about ssd life. We don't have all 1tb ssds. Mine is only 240gb.

May 5, 2021
no it's not a new install, but i replaced 128ssd with a 240 after i cloned it with AOMEI.
Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19042.1586]
so the new tbw after i installed it it was 80gb which was what the copy was and in two days it has gone 131gb with only 2-3 hours usage per day

First of all I do have searched this forum and other with no satisfying solution.
Yesterday I had 30gb writes in about hours with all apps closed except explorer
today I disabled the following:
indexing service,
antivirus/defender,
telemetry (only required)
privacy settings off
temp folders moved to another disk
cortana disabled
one drive
hibernation off
chrome cache folder moved to another drive(although it was closed)
I have also run debloating scripts to turn off all unwanted services
====================
after all these I still get 6Gb in 2 hours, that is about 3GB/hour

The biggest processes that write to disk are
Explorer.exe
Systrem (4)

Before that it was MsMpEng.exe which is the defender/antivirus

Writes have been confirmed with crystal disk info and anothe program.
So what is all that about? Don't tell me not to worry about ssd life. We don't have all 1tb ssds. Mine is only 240gb.
Disable the sysmain service....test.

One can't examine usage just the first few hours or any few hour period and really determine anything, as there might be a batch of OS and/or application updates, etc., that could skew results. (Some folks think watching streaming videos or even Youtube is just magic and should not produce any writes at all as long as they are not 'downloading/saving' them..!)

My own writes total 40 TB in 5 years, or, about 8 TB per year, 666 GB per month, about 22 GB per day.... but, naturally, on certain days, like a Windows 10 version update, etc., there could be lots of extra writes over any 2-10 hour period.

Check your writes in a week, then a month, before 'panicking'. (Or, just nuke and pave now which will spare you needless wondering if any malware is causing excessive writes....but, just realize, writes will be high the first week.)

Reactions: Lafong
May 5, 2021
ok i forgot to say that pagefile is not used (i got 16gb of memory) and as I said, this is not a new installation I cloned a drive that already had the latest updates. All the apps were closed. (i know chrome writes a lot of data too)

However I will keep watching to see how it goes.

Nevertheless 22gb per day as the previous person said, only for the OS without you doing anything else I think it's a lot.