30 second freeze

This is so annoying and so difficult to resolve. I can get a 30 second
temporary freeze at any time. After about 30 seconds the computer carries on
as if nothing has happened. It is so random as well as I can go 2/3 nights
without a problem and then twice in one night. It can happen whilst on the
web or when I click on the "Start" icon as I have to wait for 30 seconds
occasionally for the menu to open. Any ideas please? Bob

See my article on Security at http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm

Sound like malware to me. You at least need to rule it out (as much as such
a thing can be ruled out.)

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

"Bob B" <bob@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> This is so annoying and so difficult to resolve. I can get a 30 second
> temporary freeze at any time. After about 30 seconds the computer carries
> on
> as if nothing has happened. It is so random as well as I can go 2/3 nights
> without a problem and then twice in one night. It can happen whilst on the
> web or when I click on the "Start" icon as I have to wait for 30 seconds
> occasionally for the menu to open. Any ideas please? Bob

To Gary
Before writing my few lines about this annoying problem I had in fact
carried out the "clean boot" as suggested and described in your article and
normally found under your signature. I have also used all of the virus and
spyware tools you suggest. I will though have a go with your other
suggestions. Bob

> See my article on Security at
>
> Sound like malware to me. You at least need to rule it out (as much as
such
> a thing can be ruled out.)
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS-MVP Shell/User
>
> "Bob B" <bob@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > This is so annoying and so difficult to resolve. I can get a 30 second
> > temporary freeze at any time. After about 30 seconds the computer
carries
> > on
> > as if nothing has happened. It is so random as well as I can go 2/3
nights
> > without a problem and then twice in one night. It can happen whilst on
the
> > web or when I click on the "Start" icon as I have to wait for 30 seconds
> > occasionally for the menu to open. Any ideas please? Bob

I kinda suspected you were familiar with those pages, but I always have to
start at step one, <s>.

From a review of your initial post, I have to think it's an invader, not a
background app, due to the intermittent nature. Could be hardware, too.
Since you're familiar with MSCONFIG, I'm guessing that you already know how
to use it to track down possible problems with background apps.

On the other hand, this kind of freezing can sometimes be due to a low
Resources condition. If your resources levels are nominally minimal (just
over 15%) and you start a Resource intensive operation (database operations
that are done on a large database, involving lots of calculations are
notorious for this), you Resources may immediately crash to Zero and stay
there until the procedure has completed. I've seen this on several
occasions, and even played with it for a while.

Still, with the symptoms you list, first thing I'd look at is hardware,
particularly video. Maybe failing? Maybe overheating? After that, it's a
matter of intelligent deduction and experimentation. You have to identify
the common conditions that exist whenever the freeze occurs. Until then,
there's no knowing.

--

> To Gary
> Before writing my few lines about this annoying problem I had in fact
> carried out the "clean boot" as suggested and described in your article
> and
> normally found under your signature. I have also used all of the virus
> and
> spyware tools you suggest. I will though have a go with your other
> suggestions. Bob

I think you are IE6 SP1, Bob B, which is afflicted. The START button is
part of Explorer & will be affected by the sluggishness of any click
that is Explorer related-- AFTER you have done a massive copy or delete
using Explorer. You know that? Then, a reboot would get you back to
normal, unless something in the Startup Group is doing such a thing.
(But you did try Terhune's clean-boot procedure.)

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"Bob B" <bob@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| This is so annoying and so difficult to resolve. I can get a 30 second
| temporary freeze at any time. After about 30 seconds the computer
carries on
| as if nothing has happened. It is so random as well as I can go 2/3
nights
| without a problem and then twice in one night. It can happen whilst on
the
| web or when I click on the "Start" icon as I have to wait for 30
seconds
| occasionally for the menu to open. Any ideas please? Bob

budgie

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 18:52:22 GMT, "Bob B" <bob@hotmail.com> wrote:

>This is so annoying and so difficult to resolve. I can get a 30 second
>temporary freeze at any time. After about 30 seconds the computer carries on
>as if nothing has happened. It is so random as well as I can go 2/3 nights
>without a problem and then twice in one night. It can happen whilst on the
>web or when I click on the "Start" icon as I have to wait for 30 seconds
>occasionally for the menu to open. Any ideas please? Bob

How close to 30 seconds is the delay, and how repeatable is that time?

Apart from the direction Gary is suggesting, if it is a very repeatable time
delay you may want to try something entirely different.

Network...

Sure would like to see the rest of the below, <s>.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

"budgie" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 18:52:22 GMT, "Bob B" <bob@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>This is so annoying and so difficult to resolve. I can get a 30 second
>>temporary freeze at any time. After about 30 seconds the computer carries
>>on
>>as if nothing has happened. It is so random as well as I can go 2/3 nights
>>without a problem and then twice in one night. It can happen whilst on the
>>web or when I click on the "Start" icon as I have to wait for 30 seconds
>>occasionally for the menu to open. Any ideas please? Bob
>
> How close to 30 seconds is the delay, and how repeatable is that time?
>
> Apart from the direction Gary is suggesting, if it is a very repeatable
> time
> delay you may want to try something entirely different.
>
> Network...

I have a feeling you are on the right line. I do get a warning sometimes
that my resources are low and to close some applications down. With regards
to the hardware I know it is not the processor or graphics card as I have
had the same fault with different units. On the other hand it could be a dry
joint on the motherboard as it is now 6 years old and has been well used.
The only common fault that I can think of is that it occurs when I am being
a bit quick on clicking different buttons which I would do when closing
programs and turning off the computer. Bob.

> I kinda suspected you were familiar with those pages, but I always have to
> start at step one, <s>.
>
> From a review of your initial post, I have to think it's an invader, not a
> background app, due to the intermittent nature. Could be hardware, too.
> Since you're familiar with MSCONFIG, I'm guessing that you already know
how
> to use it to track down possible problems with background apps.
>
> On the other hand, this kind of freezing can sometimes be due to a low
> Resources condition. If your resources levels are nominally minimal (just
> over 15%) and you start a Resource intensive operation (database
operations
> that are done on a large database, involving lots of calculations are
> notorious for this), you Resources may immediately crash to Zero and stay
> there until the procedure has completed. I've seen this on several
> occasions, and even played with it for a while.
>
> Still, with the symptoms you list, first thing I'd look at is hardware,
> particularly video. Maybe failing? Maybe overheating? After that, it's a
> matter of intelligent deduction and experimentation. You have to identify
> the common conditions that exist whenever the freeze occurs. Until then,
> there's no knowing.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS-MVP Shell/User
>

> "Bob B" <bob@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > To Gary
> > Before writing my few lines about this annoying problem I had in fact
> > carried out the "clean boot" as suggested and described in your article
> > and
> > normally found under your signature. I have also used all of the virus
> > and
> > spyware tools you suggest. I will though have a go with your other
> > suggestions. Bob

budgie

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 09:02:04 -0700, "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org>
wrote:

>Sure would like to see the rest of the below, <s>.

Network exploration timeout.

Have seen it cause this sort of delay which can sometimes be mistaken for an
issue elsewhere. Easy to disable network and see what (if anything) changes.