~30 seconds of high ping at the start of games

Orflek

Commendable
Apr 17, 2016
I have extreme bursts of high ping/lag at the start of games shortly after connecting to servers for about 30-60 seconds. From there on my ping drops to the expected level, and usually stays that way for as long as I play without changing. During the time that I'm lagging it's basically impossible to play as latency is regularly over a second.
It seemingly occurs across all games, not related to steam, trillian, skype, or other interactions. The only time I have pinpointed is 37 seconds at the beginning of every match in rocket league, but I don't know that that matters.
Has anyone come across any any fixes for this/Does anyone have recommendations for possible solutions?
Thanks.

[relevant specs?]
Router: TP-LINK TL-WDR3600
Modem: ARRIS SURFboard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 [which from my understanding ARRIS is just a repackaging of Motorola]

Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z87Killer
Power supply: B800M maxbron
Driver: Killer e2200 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller version 9.0.0.37

Edit:
I'm using comcast but others in my apartment complex also using comcast don't face the same problem.

Solution
Disable any of the killer so called game accelerators features. You may also try the driver from the killer site that does not have this feature. You see massive number of people complaining about very strange occurrences when they are running these killer apps.

You also want to run a continuous ping in background cmd window to your router ip. This will show if you have a actual network issue or if it might be the game. The ping numbers you see in a game include all kinds of overhead including stuff like video settings. It could be some setting in the game itself rather than a actual network issue.
Disable any of the killer so called game accelerators features. You may also try the driver from the killer site that does not have this feature. You see massive number of people complaining about very strange occurrences when they are running these killer apps.

You also want to run a continuous ping in background cmd window to your router ip. This will show if you have a actual network issue or if it might be the game. The ping numbers you see in a game include all kinds of overhead including stuff like video settings. It could be some setting in the game itself rather than a actual network issue.

Solution