300 Foxconn Workers Threaten Mass Suicide Over Raise

Status
Not open for further replies.

rawful

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
I feel like Microsoft does not care about working conditions whatsoever, nor does Apple, nor any other company using the cheap asian labor. If they did "monitor working conditions closely" as they claim, this would have been noticed many years ago. Foxconn employees committing suicide over their horrible working conditions isn't new news.

toastninja17

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
[citation][nom]rawful[/nom]I feel like Microsoft does not care about working conditions whatsoever, nor does Apple, nor any other company using the cheap asian labor. If they did "monitor working conditions closely" as they claim, this would have been noticed many years ago. Foxconn employees committing suicide over their horrible working conditions isn't new news.[/citation]

Yep, just good ol' PR

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
If you have 900,000 employees all sorts of unpleasant things will happen and if you publish a 'report' on those selected incidents you can make a company look worse than they may be.

This is not to say that the working conditions in 3rd world countries are often well below our 'current' standards !
But think about what we did 100 years ago (kids working in mines) or even as little as 50 years ago.
Unthinkable today for us. These countries are simply going thru the same motions that we did.

We should not forget that we had 'separate bathrooms' as recent as the 1960s... i.e. the "Jim Crow laws" !

intelliclint

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
Foxconn is one of the largest manufactures of electronics components. Even companies like LG and Whirlpool have used their parts. You will have a hard time avoiding them, in fact you are unlikely to even know, after all they re-brand their parts. So why are we asking MS to watch a company when China government policies is just as much to blame.

Course an Xbox all US manufacture == cost $800 but at least you know the folks building it got more than $1000 a year, and didn't have to live in the company dorms, eat at their mess hall, and work 12 to 16 hours a day.

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
@rawful
Of course they don't care. This is just a PR stunt.

Hmm. I wonder if I could get enough of my co-workers to try this. Just a bluff of course. No raises in the last 3 years while the big wigs get tons of money and bonuses. HR tries to keep us content with trinkets and crap such as pins congratulating us on our good work. I'd rather they bought me a soda than give me some stupid trinket.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]rawful[/nom]I feel like Microsoft does not care about working conditions whatsoever, nor does Apple, nor any other company using the cheap asian labor. If they did "monitor working conditions closely" as they claim, this would have been noticed many years ago. Foxconn employees committing suicide over their horrible working conditions isn't new news.[/citation]
If they'd really care about workers, they'd build their products in the USA. Outsourcing is cheap, but it still comes with a price...

JasonAkkerman

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
And people complain about the greed of American companies (I'm not saying it doesn't exist, it obviously does)?

At least we don't get exploited like that.
I really feel bad for those workers.

tmshdw

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
In the early 1900's the USA was not very different with its clothing mills, low pay, long hours, lots of child labor. But that labor force led to unions and eventually became the middle class. Sorry that China also may have to take this slow road to getting worker rights. Though humanity might have learned, but upper class greed is no different now then back then.

NightLight

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2004
why is this suddenly MS 's fault? You can't be responsible for a subcontractor!!
this is foxconn's fault, exploiting their workers, no one elses.

[citation][nom]Netherscourge[/nom]300 Foxconn workers against 100,000 PersiansFOR CHINAAAAAAA!!!!![/citation] sounded more like: FOR CARDASSIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]wiyosaya[/nom]Seems like I should avoid buying Foxconn products or products from companies that use foxconn as their manufacturer.[/citation]
Good luck with that. Foxconn manufactures for a disproportionately huge part of the tech industry.

digiex

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
If only US companies are no greedy for profit, employment should not be a problem right now in the US if all US products are manufactured in the US.

China might still be a third world country.

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
[citation][nom]wiyosaya[/nom]Seems like I should avoid buying Foxconn products or products from companies that use foxconn as their manufacturer.[/citation]

fat chance of that...they make everything.

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009

microsoft does not own foxconn. It's none of MS's business what goes on there so long as they meet their contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.