300 mbps Download Speed Dropped to 70 mbps Download Speed Out of Nowhere (Wired Connection)

Oct 1, 2018
Hello,

Previously, I was getting download speeds of 300-400 mbps but now I am only getting download speeds of 70-75 mbps.

I've come to the conclusion that the cable (cat 6) is definitely not the issue because I've connected it to multiple devices and they've had the appropriate speeds and I don't believe it's the router (Sagecom 5620) because other devices that are connected to the router are getting the appropriate speeds.

However, I have noticed that I am getting the appropriate speed when I connect directly into my modem.

I think the problem lies in my computer or my computer's interaction with the router. For reference, I have uninstalled/reinstalled all network drivers, updated them, changed speed & duplex settings, and I've also gone into my router's setting and reserved an IP address.

Please help! I'm at my wit's end.

First try a new ethernet cable. Cables fail in very strange ways. They can work on some device and not others. Some device tolerate poor cable better than others. It is a very cheap thing to try.

You have already done most the recommended things. You want to always leave your speed on auto. If should negotiate to gigabit speeds by itself. If it does not there is some issue..again likely a cable.

What you might try is to load a old program called IPERF on a couple of your machines. This is a very simplistic test program that is not affected by browser versions or memory or cpu etc. You should see in the 900mbps range for traffic between machines in your house.

If this works you would then suspect some other than network. If it also has issue you are back to things like drivers or firewall settings. Be very sure you do not have any of that stupid "gamer" network accelerator crap installed or running.