[SOLVED] 300 watts good enough?

Mar 9, 2020
Hello! i wanted to know if my 300 watt PSU would be enough for a CPU upgrade, i got a Memphis S motherboard with 16Gb ram (2x8gb) with a i3 4130 (54 watts) and a gtx 1650 (75 watt version) and a 7200 hard drive and a DVD drive, i want to know if it would be safe to upgrade to a i7 4770 (84 watt) with my current PSU or would it be dangerous to the hardware? thanks for all answers and if you have more questions i would gladly answer them!

Solution
Okay. You have a few potential problems.

First off, the power supply will definitely NOT be a performance power supply. I would get a new one.

Second, many OEM cases use custom size power supplies. If it doesn't fit the ATX standard, you'll need to find one that does fit that specific case.

Third, verify that the cooling that comes with that PC can support the i7 you want. The i7 has a much higher potential TDP compared to your i3. You may have to install a different heatsink/fan and will need to verify space requirements and motherboard headers available for the fans.

Fourth, possible BIOS or power delivery issues with the motherboard if that computer model was never designed to support that CPU.

Basically, frankensteining an...
Okay. You have a few potential problems.

First off, the power supply will definitely NOT be a performance power supply. I would get a new one.

Second, many OEM cases use custom size power supplies. If it doesn't fit the ATX standard, you'll need to find one that does fit that specific case.

Third, verify that the cooling that comes with that PC can support the i7 you want. The i7 has a much higher potential TDP compared to your i3. You may have to install a different heatsink/fan and will need to verify space requirements and motherboard headers available for the fans.

Fourth, possible BIOS or power delivery issues with the motherboard if that computer model was never designed to support that CPU.

Basically, frankensteining an OEM case/computer is usually not the best option. If the power supply is standard size and the CPU cooling in place is sufficient you'll be lucky. Maybe check to see what CPU options came with that computer when it was sold retail?

Solution
Mar 9, 2020
ok so first the i7 4770 is compatible with the motherboard (says so on the website) second if i where to upgrade The PSU i would probably need exact measurements and how many watts would you recommend for that setup?

IMO, getting a good power supply isn't worth it unless you buy a 600W or higher.
Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, and BeQuiet all make good ones. Look for a few that are available to you and we can steer you in the right direction.

But first, see if your current PS is a custom size or standard ATX size. Can you take some pics of it from at least three sides, including the back screw holes and post links to those pics here?

Also, just because that i7 is compatible with that motherboard doesn't mean they put in sufficient cooling for an i7.

not 100% sure it came with my pc, this is my pc, all i have done is add 8gb ram and a 1650: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04058832
ok so first the i7 4770 is compatible with the motherboard (says so on the website) second if i where to upgrade The PSU i would probably need exact measurements and how many watts would you recommend for that setup?

Lucky for you, the HP Pavilion 500 series uses a standard ATX power supply with standard ATX connectors. So anything from a Corsair CX450 to a beQuiet Systemp Power U9, etc. would fit and work perfectly.

Reactions: alceryes