[SOLVED] 3000Mhz RAM but only work at 2666Mhz

Jan 29, 2019
I have next rig:

CPU: i5 9600k
Motherboard: ASUS Z370-P II
RAM: 2x Corsair 8GB LPX 3000Mhz CL16 - Not dual kit (Product code: CMK8GX4M1D3000C16)
GPU: RTX 2060
Power Supply: Seasonic Focus 650W

My problem is with the ram. If i set the ram to boost with XMP at 3000Mhz is booting but when i run stress tests (Prime95, OCCT, Aida64 or Memtest) is saying hardware failure. I can play games, watch movies and is not showing any BSOD. My problem is only the stress tests.

I try to set the timings manually but nothing changed. The RAM is not listed on my motherboard QVL.

But i succeded to run stable at 2666Mhz with 16-18-18-35 at 1.2v.

I run next stress tests:
Prime95:
  • Blend for 3 hours - passed
  • Small FFT for 2 hours - passed

OCCT:
  • Small data 1 hour - passed
  • Large data - 1 hour - passed

Aida64:
3 hours with the first 4 selected - passed

HCI memtest:
- 415% - passed

What do you think boys? To stick at 2666Mhz? or to send the RAM to RMA?

Solution
If the sticks didn't come in a kit then they are not guaranteed to work together.
Run memory stress test on each stick separately at 3000Mhz (at XMP setting) to see if they are at least stable at advertised speed and voltage. If either fails that - RMA it.

shknawe

Respectable
Oct 22, 2016
If your memory is not a matched set, sometimes problems arise in reading them as a proper set. If you can run your games, programs, etc. without any bsod then I would go with the 3000mhz setting and be done with it. All these stress tests are overrated. If your computer works, it works in my book.

If the sticks didn't come in a kit then they are not guaranteed to work together.
Run memory stress test on each stick separately at 3000Mhz (at XMP setting) to see if they are at least stable at advertised speed and voltage. If either fails that - RMA it.

Solution
When combining modules sold as Singles, often the memory can no longer operate at rated specifications. You may need to lower the memory clock speed to get them working together.

Tested Latency
16-20-20-38

Tested voltage
1.35V

Tested Speed
3000MHz

It also looks like your DRAM voltage setting is too low.