[SOLVED] 3000mhz ram showing as 1066mhz after enabling xmp

Aug 9, 2020
Specs:
cpu: ryzen 5 2600
ram: corsair vengance lpx ddr4 3000mhz 16gb 2x8gb sticks
motherboard: msi tomahawk b450
psu: evga 500w bronze+

I read some other threads about enabling the xmp profile to make ram run at the listed speed (my motherboard doesn't show a xmp or docp option only a-xmp profile which I enabled) and tried doing so to unlock it from 2133mhz but now it's showing up as 1067mhz,
I manually went to the oc to try to change it and it wouldn't allow me even in advanced mode but the b450 tomahawk had a try it! option so I selected the 3200mhz pre-tested overclock since this ram is advertised for overclocking and has the integrated heat spreaders on it and it's showing only 1066/1067mhz, am I just stupid and making a really obvious mistake? any help would be greatly appreciated! (screenshots: View: https://imgur.com/a/SgEcckd
)

Solution
No not dumb. Just unaware about Ryzen 400 series boards not officially supporting 3000MHz ram or CL 15 (odd timings). Even timings such as CL 14, 16, or 18 is recommended and at speeds other than 3000. 3000 ram will run at 2933 and can see the mobo has changed CL timings to 16 to be compatible.

Regarding the naming of XMP, it's all the same. Asus brand's their own XMP as DOCP because they don't pay Intel royalties to call it XMP.

Your ram is running fine. Cpuz reads the true clock speed (not double data rate) which you'd times it by two.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
No not dumb. Just unaware about Ryzen 400 series boards not officially supporting 3000MHz ram or CL 15 (odd timings). Even timings such as CL 14, 16, or 18 is recommended and at speeds other than 3000. 3000 ram will run at 2933 and can see the mobo has changed CL timings to 16 to be compatible.

Regarding the naming of XMP, it's all the same. Asus brand's their own XMP as DOCP because they don't pay Intel royalties to call it XMP.

Your ram is running fine. Cpuz reads the true clock speed (not double data rate) which you'd times it by two.

Reactions: Embracefate
Solution
Aug 9, 2020

Thanks so much, I was not aware of that and figured either I was mistaken on something and It was fine or messed something up with the a-xmp profile while trying to fix it. Thanks again for clearing that up and the help!

Reactions: boju