[SOLVED] 300w PSU upgrade for Lenovo question

Apr 23, 2021
I have a 510A-15ICB Desktop (ideacentre) - Type 90HV and a compatible GTX1050Ti@4G/D5/H/DP/DVI. But I need a 300w PSU. I need help finding one. I know the pin count is different on the motherboard, but I also see there adapters available. No one has been able to help me. Thanks

Solution
The hardest part about anything that's not atx or sfx standard psus is fitment. The only question is if it will physically fit in the space you have now, and still have airflow through the fan.

Otherwise it's the exact same 12v, 5v+,5vVsb, 3.3v rails etc. The pinout is meaningless. You can lookup, or just look at the 10pin connector, and swap it with some of the matching wires from the 20+4. They are the same thing, there's just more of them.

So the adapter is fine for that use, just don't get the cheapest one, I'd recommend you go with a better brand, they'll use higher grade pins, thicker gage wire etc. The cheapo's tend to cut corners.
Apr 23, 2021
THIS would probably work out, might need a little modifying, but you'd have to check your dimensions.

Thanks for replying.

This exact one was suggested by someone else and I ordered it but than others gave me doubt that it would work, mainly because of the motherboard in this Lenovo., so i canceled.

This is what my motherboard looks like: https://download.lenovo.com/Images/Parts/01LM344/01LM344_A.jpg. I see there is no 24 pin input, just a 10 pin, but I also found this: https://www.amazon.com/COMeap-Adapter-Braided-Sleeved-Servers/dp/B06WV9Z9QT. Do you think this will work if I can fit the PSU in?

I don't know anything about PSUs and motherboards, obviously. I see there is another 4 pin input for the PSU as well. Do standard PSU cables split to this 4 pin input? And what does it do, out of curiosity.

Thanks,
Kevin

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The hardest part about anything that's not atx or sfx standard psus is fitment. The only question is if it will physically fit in the space you have now, and still have airflow through the fan.

Otherwise it's the exact same 12v, 5v+,5vVsb, 3.3v rails etc. The pinout is meaningless. You can lookup, or just look at the 10pin connector, and swap it with some of the matching wires from the 20+4. They are the same thing, there's just more of them.

So the adapter is fine for that use, just don't get the cheapest one, I'd recommend you go with a better brand, they'll use higher grade pins, thicker gage wire etc. The cheapo's tend to cut corners.

Last edited:
Solution
Why do you need a 300w psu?
Presumably it is so you can run a GTX1050ti.
That card runs on slot power only which is a max of 75w.
Similarly the 8100 processor is a 65w tdp unit.

Certainly a better psu would be good, but I think there is a reasonable chance of it all working with the included 180w psu.
Alternatively, a GT1030 card will still be a good upgrade over integrated graphics and it is only a 20/30w card.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Hmm, totally missed that, havent seen one of those in quite a while.

@--SID-- is totally correct, 99% of power supply used around the world as an ATX standard layout use a 5vSB (StandBy) rail. With the 12v main, you get side-rails of 3.3v and 5v, and they are all linked in a main power path. The 12vSB/5vSB are seperate, have their own power path. As such, 5vSB can't be modified to 12vSB without some serious additional circuitry added to buck-boost the voltage.

When you shutdown windows, it's the 5vSB that remains active, which is why usb ports can be used to charge cellphones or as mouse/kb timers to wake a pc etc.

I missed that, was looking for something to actually fit the dimensions, but --SID-- seems to habe found a much better, drop-in. The only thing I could find was the 210w version which came stock with the 1050 and didn't have the 6pin pcie.

@--SID-- good catch. 👍

Apr 23, 2021
Yes. It is to power the card. I haven't tried it yet with my 180w. I figured it couldn't run it at all. I'll pop it in today and see how it runs. Thanks.

Apr 23, 2021
Yeah it seems that the only safe option is to get the 210w and see if it works. The card is listed as compatible with this system, on the Lenono site, so if that is so, I would think they would offer something to power it correctly.