[SOLVED] 3060 best option for current hardware?

slyguy28

Commendable
Jun 25, 2020
Hey community,

Just been waiting through the storm to update my GPU and figured now would be the time to start the process. Looking to upgrade just for an overall better casual experience, but want to have the ability to play decent games in quality and possibly go down the VR path. I have limited problems running the 970 I have now, but need to upgrade another PC for CnC machine so I am going to steal it from current PC.

3 things I am most concerned about:
  1. temperature/cooling - I am not looking to OC and need to add a bunch of additional cooling features (unless it is necessary)
  2. compatibility with current CPU and Motherboard
  3. future proof. - probably use this for a while
I ran my hardware through parts picker and got a lot of options regarding GPU options, but prefer to stay in the Nvidia camp, but open to it if absolutely better option. I just want to make sure I am not ABUSING my parts and that nothing I am running will jeopardize the functionality of my overall PC.

side note I am running 2 27" monitors

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor

MSI GeForce GTX 970 4 GB GAMING 100ME Video Card
Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case

lot of recommendations on PC Picker, just need more insight for there are a lot of differences amongst these. Price is dependent, but not deciding factor. looking for a great experience to make playing any game I want and enjoy the experience. If upgrading CPU would help, I would be open to it. ***

Thanks, and sorry if this is repetitive on this page.

SlyGuy

Solution
3070 is a faster card. First 2 numbers are the series, then last 2 denote the model. The higher the last 2 numbers the faster the card.

But another reason I suggest at least looking at the amd cards. The 6750xt is pretty close to the 3070. There might be a few things where the 3060ti beats it. Ray tracing on the nvidia cards is better for sure, but is your decision if you’ll use that feature or not.

As I said I’ve got a 3080, but I previously had a 6700xt and at 1440p it was a decent card imo. Basically I just wanted a little extra power and got Christmas money, got a good deal on the 3080 and was able to resell my 6700xt. Just saying if there’s a significant price difference it’s worth considering.

As far as brands some...
For 1440p I’d want more than a 3060. I’d want at least a 3060ti or a 6700xt that class of card or higher. Personally I’ve got an rtx 3080. I play at 1440p but figure that should hold a while.

Another idea that would bump up fps a like would be do a bios update and get a 5600x or better. That should let your system do better. But if you don’t care about ray tracing look at the 6700xt or 6750xt. Those cars should be not much more than a 3060 but should perform somewhere between a 3060ti and 3070.

slyguy28

Commendable
Jun 25, 2020
thanks for feedback. Couple other questions:

With no consideration to budget, would you have a preference? should I be considering something with more than 8GB memory? I am also a little limited on size of card with my current case, doubt I can push much over 300mm.

If I can get a 3060ti, or a 3070/3080 would I bet better off? If these can work with my current parameters and don't have any significant downsides, I would definitely consider it. Remember I am only running stock fans, minus 3 extra case fans. Just curious if I should just bump up and be done with it?

Also LHR any issue from your perspective? Just curious if there is any reason to avoid it?

Again, my current specs can only handle so much, so I am looking for the best fit that will allow be minimal issues and maybe in a few years bump up again.

Lot of options with my motherboard, just trying to wean out some of the obvious "NO GO".
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/?compatible_with=3Mxbt6#c=497,513,494,508,492,507,516

Thanks for response,

SlyGuy

Personally I’m running a 3080 and am happy with it. But at the prices some of those go for now you might as well look at the 4070ti. I just recommend to go as high as you can afford since games typically will get more advanced and the new cards coming out are usually faster. So if you go for a previous generation card especially my opinion is get as fast a card as you can afford.

Can’t speak to LHR specifically I’m inclined to say I wouldn’t worry there but you may just do a bit of searching. But as I said my opinion get the best you can comfortably afford. I figure my 3080 should be good for 1440p for a couple years or so.

Reactions: GarrettL

slyguy28

Commendable
Jun 25, 2020
Personally I’m running a 3080 and am happy with it. But at the prices some of those go for now you might as well look at the 4070ti. I just recommend to go as high as you can afford since games typically will get more advanced and the new cards coming out are usually faster. So if you go for a previous generation card especially my opinion is get as fast a card as you can afford.

Can’t speak to LHR specifically I’m inclined to say I wouldn’t worry there but you may just do a bit of searching. But as I said my opinion get the best you can comfortably afford. I figure my 3080 should be good for 1440p for a couple years or so.

Just looking through this list, it isn't too bad to go with a 3060 TI, then quite a bump to 3070/3080. Most of which are 8GB memory. Not sure if there is any brand advantage (i have been told doesn't matter), but been using MSI and this 970 has been carrying me for almost a decade.

Just more curious if a $500 dollar 3060TI is better than a 3070 @ $650 or if I will notice.

Thanks again,

SlyGuy

3070 is a faster card. First 2 numbers are the series, then last 2 denote the model. The higher the last 2 numbers the faster the card.

But another reason I suggest at least looking at the amd cards. The 6750xt is pretty close to the 3070. There might be a few things where the 3060ti beats it. Ray tracing on the nvidia cards is better for sure, but is your decision if you’ll use that feature or not.

As I said I’ve got a 3080, but I previously had a 6700xt and at 1440p it was a decent card imo. Basically I just wanted a little extra power and got Christmas money, got a good deal on the 3080 and was able to resell my 6700xt. Just saying if there’s a significant price difference it’s worth considering.

As far as brands some have their preferences. EVGA was a big player before they stopped making gpus. Most brands like asus, gigabyte, sapphire etc the bigger known brands are going to be fine. I’d mainly look at the reviews, to see what has the best cooler, the best price and best warranty.

Solution

slyguy28

Commendable
Jun 25, 2020
Thanks for all your help on this. I am thinking I will purchase the EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 10GB and run with it. Looks like my specs can handle it according to PCpartpicker. Also, good reviews and 750W can handle it, along with my case should hold it. I appreciate the help and hopefully just plug and play from here.

Thanks,

SlyGuy