[SOLVED] 3060 GPU - - - - fans spin but no signal ?

Sep 15, 2022
Hi
I have an issue with my newly acquired gpu
Specs:
Gainward 3060 RTX
EVGA BR 600W bronze
BenQ Zowie 24 144hz
Older card 1060 6gb
Context:
Bought the GPU from Amazon yesterday, tested with Furmark for 25+ minutes, played a game and turned off with no issues whatsoever.
Today I boot normally, play for a bit, then an error message sound played and screen went black!
I restart, GPU fans spin normally but it doesn't start, or provide a signal.
Troubleshooting Attempts:
1- removed card, tested my old GPU (1060 6gb) > everything works! so it's not a monitor / PSU issue.
2- reset bios by removing battery for 5 minutes > same issue!
3- updated bios to latest version > nothing!
4- tried it on an entirely different PC (700W PSU) > still doesn't boot.
Is it dead? Or is there anything else I can do?
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Solution
So if it doesn't boot any more I have little more idea than anyone else of what caused the rtx to simply not work any more the unit is presumably new off the shelf from Amazon. You simply installed it in your pc and it stopped working spontaneously could happen to any customer. It's up to you if you want to send it back and try again or try to get a refund, however running it on a weak psu simply isn't recommended.

There are a few unknowns in the way it was installed, if you used the correct power cable and the first thing anyone's going to look at is the power supply for it. Presumably the industry is prepared for a range of eventualities. People can build their own rigs or buy them pre-assembled. Anyone could potentially...
Sep 15, 2022
It still may be a PSU issue, since the 3060 has a higher power demand than the 1060 and your PSU has just a 3 year warranty. But, since you just received the 3060 yesterday, you should be able to exchange it. I'd try that first.
Thanks, Ill try that.
The PSU is brand new as well, I just bought it a week ago... And now after trying again, even my old card doesn't provide a signal either (despite doing so in first attempt).
Should I replace the PSU too?

Thanks, Ill try that.
The PSU is brand new as well, I just bought it a week ago... And now after trying again, even my old card doesn't provide a signal either (despite doing so in first attempt).
Should I replace the PSU too?
While switching cards between the 1060 and the 3060, it probably is a good idea to do a clear CMOS in between to make sure your motherboard recognizes the current card. As for replacing the PSU, that's a tough call. I'd probably keep the PSU for now, test with the replacement GPU (assuming the replacement is new, not refurbished or a returned item), and if it doesn't work, exchange the PSU (assuming you're still able to).

On the other hand, it's possible it's a motherboard issue. Good luck!

Reactions: ospider

DavidM012

Distinguished
here's an old similar one that was solved:

here's the user action just copy and pasted
User Action
  • Update the BIOS and the drivers for the motherboard chipset.
  • Update all the hardware drivers, if updates are available from your manufacturer.
  • Check the temperature inside the computer to make sure your processor and related peripherals are not overheating.
  • Check the fan on your CPU to make sure it is properly attached to the CPU.
  • If you have overclocked your CPU, reset your settings to the default settings.
  • Make sure you power supply fan is working correctly
So the difference is they had an 850w psu so maybe you should watch

The brewing problem with gpu power design from Gamer's Nexus. The transient power spike from the 3000 series rtx might be stressing your psu too.

So there's several problems going on. One is the outdated drivers another is possible overheating: Check your cpu cooler is adequate and monitor temps.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2022
here's an old similar one that was solved:

So there's several problems going on. One is the outdated drivers another is possible overheating: Check your cpu cooler is adequate and monitor temps.
Thanks a lot for these tips
My mobo alongsinde the CPU are probably old (H81M-K + i7 4790)
I'm using an evo 212 to cool my CPU
In your opinion could that be the cause (or one of the causes at least)?

DavidM012

Distinguished
To me It's all looking like several contributing factors. I wouldn't consider an evo 212 an overkill cooler. The mobo might have croaked like installing the 3060 is like dropping a brick on it with the 600w psu or perhaps bomb or lightning strike because the transient power spike is quite high (if there was one) and the power draw is greater.

The PSU is new so you could rule out any age related degradation and so it must be insufficient for the 3060.

So trying to clarify, the initial bug might've only been the drivers not being updated but as time wore on, power problems and the heat could also have contributed.

Since it won't switch on any more with the 1060 I'd presume the mobo dead.

Sep 15, 2022
To me It's all looking like several contributing factors. I wouldn't consider an evo 212 an overkill cooler. The mobo might have croaked like installing the 3060 is like dropping a brick on it with the 600w psu or perhaps bomb or lightning strike because the transient power spike is quite high (if there was one) and the power draw is greater.

The PSU is new so you could rule out any age related degradation and so it must be insufficient for the 3060.

So trying to clarify, the initial bug might've only been the drivers not being updated but as time wore on, power problems and the heat could also have contributed.

Since it won't switch on any more with the 1060 I'd presume the mobo dead.

Actually I want to clarify a few things on my part as well:
  • I got the PSU a week ago, tested it on my rig, and it worked like a charm. this was still using 1060 6gb
  • just the day before yesterday I got the GPU, so the increased power spike wasn't sudden, it took about 3 days to be exact.
  • The mobo works with the 1060 now, what I did earlier was an error on my part, as I had installed the 1060 wrongly on the PCI at the time. I thought I might've done the same error with the 3060, so I made sure it's seated properly, to no avail :(
Still, I'm grateful for all the suggestions, it's really helpful to test and discard the various possible causes for this super weird issue.

DavidM012

Distinguished
Not sure what you mean by installed the 1060 wrongly on the pci. You mean it wasn't fully seated?

Well if the mobo is alive you can try to update the bios and drivers for it from the manufacturer however I would've thought that try'na fix it might make things worse because the 3060 has a power draw of 170w vs the 1060's 130w and the bronze unit so it's 170+the transient spike under load is going over the psu's rated capacity and then you have the cpu power draw as well.

The cpu can push the new gpu with the higher power draw for longer.

It might also just be power dips since the psu isn't overkill for it, it's only a bronze unit not gold or among those known to cope with power spikes well. eg. the corsair tx650m is used often on builds on this forum.

The 3060 doesn't need to run for long to get the power spike though it needs to be under a load to produce I think the video says so if you weren't doing anything with a heavy load it's questionable what happened there's a range of possible scenarios.

So update your BIOS and install the mobo drivers from the website and it would be recommended and preferable to use a stronger power supply unit long term. Which you should obtain as soon as possible ideally if you can get the 3060 to work.

What happens if you don't is running the risk of another eventuality. If it were my rig I'd also prefer a larger cooler too a six pipe rather than 4 or a 280aio if it was a decent brand with a 5 year warranty.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2022
Not sure what you mean by installed the 1060 wrongly on the pci. You mean it wasn't fully seated?

Well if the mobo is alive you can try to update the bios and drivers for it from the manufacturer however I would've thought that try'na fix it might make things worse because the 3060 has a power draw of 170w vs the 1060's 130w and the bronze unit so it's 170+the transient spike under load is going over the psu's rated capacity and then you have the cpu power draw as well.

The cpu can push the new gpu with the higher power draw for longer.

It might also just be power dips since the psu isn't overkill for it, it's only a bronze unit not gold or among those known to cope with power spikes well. eg. the corsair tx650m is used often on builds on this forum.

The 3060 doesn't need to run for long to get the power spike though it needs to be under a load to produce I think the video says so if you weren't doing anything with a heavy load it's questionable what happened there's a range of possible scenarios.

So update your BIOS and install the mobo drivers from the website and it would be recommended and preferable to use a stronger power supply unit long term. Which you should obtain as soon as possible ideally if you can get the 3060 to work.

What happens if you don't is running the risk of another eventuality. If it were my rig I'd also prefer a larger cooler too a six pipe rather than 4 or a 280aio if it was a decent brand with a 5 year warranty.

1. Yes, after removing the 1060 to test the 3060, and then installing it back I didn't fully seat it, and I wrongly thought that it was the same issue from before with the 3060, but turns out I was just an idiot 🙂(currently writing this from my original PC with the 1060 card) .
  2. I fully updated the Bios as well to no avail, also I tested it on an entirely new PC with higher specs than mine (mainly 700W EVGA PSU) , and it still doesn't boot!
  3. I appreciate the cooler suggestion, but it's super expensive for me, where I live it costs $200+ which equates an entire month's wage, and I can't afford that. I know that these specs require some spending to do, but I was just trying to achieve a dream of mine, of having an rtx card to play on! looks like I simply can't, and I fully accept that.

DavidM012

Distinguished
So if it doesn't boot any more I have little more idea than anyone else of what caused the rtx to simply not work any more the unit is presumably new off the shelf from Amazon. You simply installed it in your pc and it stopped working spontaneously could happen to any customer. It's up to you if you want to send it back and try again or try to get a refund, however running it on a weak psu simply isn't recommended.

There are a few unknowns in the way it was installed, if you used the correct power cable and the first thing anyone's going to look at is the power supply for it. Presumably the industry is prepared for a range of eventualities. People can build their own rigs or buy them pre-assembled. Anyone could potentially install the card incorrectly or use it as a doorstop if they wanted to. Or they have a few doa's.

Searching a previous 'solved' similar version of the event didn't produce a result in this case but at least you tried something before declaring the card not working.

Beyond that, how people afford hi tech or any range of consumer items isn't mine to reason. It is merely that with PC's you do need to adhere to recommendations such as the PSU tier list in the power supplies section of the forum.

If you want it to actually work.

Last edited:
Solution
Sep 15, 2022

There are a few unknowns in the way it was installed, if you used the correct power cable and the first thing anyone's going to look at is the power supply for it. Presumably the industry is prepared for a range of eventualities. People can build their own rigs or buy them pre-assembled. Anyone could potentially install the card incorrectly or use it as a doorstop if they wanted to. Or they have a few doa's.

Searching a previous 'solved' similar version of the event didn't produce a result in this case but at least you tried something before declaring the card not working.

Beyond that, how people afford hi tech or any range of consumer items isn't mine to reason. It is merely that with PC's you do need to adhere to recommendations such as the PSU tier list in the power supplies section of the forum.

If you want it to actually work.
You're correct, my case is a bit unique, as I've never ever heard of something similar before! but the fact that it happened proves that it's not that unusual to happen.
Thanks for that tier list, the best of what I could afford outside of the "avoid" section was the EVGA BR PSU, as it's not easy to acquire brand new hardware in our market, so are you saying it's not adequate for the 3060? because if so, I might get a 2060 instead, does that sound plausible?
Well I requested a replacement from Amazon, but what's weirding me out is that this is my first ever experience with online shopping! and I'm super worried of even touching the upcoming replacement (with testing etc) out of fear of repeating what happened!
What can I do to try to prevent that issue from re-occurring? any tips to help lessen my worries?

DavidM012

Distinguished
Well the power draw of the 2060 is equal if not a drop more to the 3060 so no. The EVGa Br is for cheap lo and mid systems and what you need to be looking at is the quality rather than the quantity of watts. My preference would be a evga supernova ga gold 850w so the capacity is always greater than the transient power spike. Or something similar.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-supernova-750-ga-power-supply-review

The 2060 I believe also suffers from transient power spikes that's the main hurdle to get around. You need to think about the peak demand of the system rather than your peak usage. If you have a decent power supply you can have some peace of mind with it too. If you build for the worst case scenario it will then be good for anything less so you could buy any gpu on the market. Well currently since pending releases will change things to lower or higher power requirements eventually. With a decent PSU you will have a 5 year guarantee anyway but to really leverage several generations of GPU you could buy

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-supernova-1000-g7-power-supply-review

Something like this that has a ten year warranty so in five years if you were to rebuild your system again, you wouldn't have to buy another power supply again for a different gpu. You kind of save a bit here and there long term if you invest in it now. Rather than face all the hassle of gpu power demands. Hoping that the technology will become more power efficient in future. Well it's more probable that there will be high end cards occupying the high power demand tier for some time if I were to guesstimate.

I would recommend that you simply wait until you can purchase another power supply to try it with. After all if the situation becomes 'every GPU you buy dies' I would imagine Amazon wouldn't be thrilled.

I don't really know how Amazon handles rma's. I should think they would have someone look at it to agree or disagree if it's a doa.

jeremy0118

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2016
okay so your 3060 is in fact probably defective

I have had 2 cases myself of gpus surviving an hour stress test absolutely fine, then when you play a game of choice (not even nessecarely at 100%) in my case csgo. the gpu will just crash every 5 to 10 min. black screen followed by fans spinning at max speed , forcing a hard reset of the pc. as to why it survives a stress test without issues i coudnt tell you. i dont think your psu is a contributing factor. maybe this will clear some of your confusion.

Last edited:

DavidM012

Distinguished
He hasn't mentioned what PSU he has or if he's even still running an rtx 3000 on it. Circumstances unknown. Since your PSU is of dubious quality my thought is to eliminate that as a factor with a more quality psu so you can have more confidence when you buy a gpu that the PSU is not fritzing and causing problems.

If a lot of rtx 3000 series are going out of the factory defective that's a matter of interest for nVidia and retailers. Hopefully.

DavidM012

Distinguished
How many electricians does it take to change a gpu? There are other potential problems. in purchasing say, an rx 6700xt from amd. The same power supply problem because the power draw of that is about 230w so even higher and some people have stuttering and frame drops unless they disable some amd software. The higher end of the market is none too user friendly. That could be PSU and mobo. In some cases.

Sep 15, 2022
Well the power draw of the 2060 is equal if not a drop more to the 3060 so no. The EVGa Br is for cheap lo and mid systems and what you need to be looking at is the quality rather than the quantity of watts. My preference would be a evga supernova ga gold 850w so the capacity is always greater than the transient power spike. Or something similar.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-supernova-750-ga-power-supply-review

The 2060 I believe also suffers from transient power spikes that's the main hurdle to get around. You need to think about the peak demand of the system rather than your peak usage. If you have a decent power supply you can have some peace of mind with it too. If you build for the worst case scenario it will then be good for anything less so you could buy any gpu on the market. Well currently since pending releases will change things to lower or higher power requirements eventually. With a decent PSU you will have a 5 year guarantee anyway but to really leverage several generations of GPU you could buy

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-supernova-1000-g7-power-supply-review

Something like this that has a ten year warranty so in five years if you were to rebuild your system again, you wouldn't have to buy another power supply again for a different gpu. You kind of save a bit here and there long term if you invest in it now. Rather than face all the hassle of gpu power demands. Hoping that the technology will become more power efficient in future. Well it's more probable that there will be high end cards occupying the high power demand tier for some time if I were to guesstimate.

I would recommend that you simply wait until you can purchase another power supply to try it with. After all if the situation becomes 'every GPU you buy dies' I would imagine Amazon wouldn't be thrilled.

I don't really know how Amazon handles rma's. I should think they would have someone look at it to agree or disagree if it's a doa.

Ah, that's what I was afraid of. I'm sorry, I don't wanna sound entitled or the like, but both of those options aren't available in my country, in fact, if we're talking from a price perspective, the 600W BR was really the only choice I could get, based on the PSU tier list!
So changing my PSU isn't an option for me at the moment :(
With that said, is there a middle ground somewhere, between getting the RTX dream and avoiding such a problem?
or should I just give up on the RTX series as a whole, considering my financial (and geographical) situation?

Sep 15, 2022
based on your story, it's highly possible that your GPU is defective. I recommend you to just go and claim the warranty
I filed for a replacement, but I'm extra worried that it might happen again. as DavidM012 said, Amazon wouldn't take such issues lightly ... I know I wouldn't :(

DavidM012

Distinguished
Dunno. I still run my games sub hd so it's up to you. Basically there is mid range somewhere like a ryzen igpu like the 5600g or something. Your rig simply isn't well built without a decent psu that's generally a message on this forum.

So instead of buy discrete gpu buy a cpu with integrated graphics. As to how multinationals penetrate various global markets that's their business, not mine.

JayGau

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2016
So instead of buy discrete gpu buy a cpu with integrated graphics. As to how multinationals penetrate various global markets that's their business, not mine.
He already has a GTX 1060. I have a RYZEN 5600g and a 1060 in another computer and the GTX is way more powerful than the RYZEN integrated GPU. Graphically speaking what you suggest would be a downgrade.

DavidM012

Distinguished
I think it's 50/50. There have been instances of 3060's griefing customers but only their customer service agents will really have the experience to know how many gpu's are dying out in the wild. It may be a trend or it might be a % and I don't know if nVidia refurbs doa's or what the large scale economy is and how they manage it really.

Well I don't know if there's any intel iGPu's that are better and the op hasn't said what his mobo is or whether that's a new socket and therefore new mobo anyway and then that means read the reviews and benchmarks of any product that you plan to buy.

The problem seems to be having enough money to buy a high end rig and Jim can't fix it because he's deceased.

TRENDING THREADS