[SOLVED] 3060 or 3070?

ClapTrapper

Reputable
May 25, 2020
Apparently there will be more 3060s than any other 30SKU (since they are "easier" to make) and I really like the 12 Gig of VRam,so I am leaning towards shooting for the 3060. But will I have a good experience (smooth FPS) playing RDR2,GTAV,and maybe some newish FPSers? I know I can play older games just fine.

I want to take advantage of my Viewsonic XG2760 27" WQHD 165Hz HDMI DP G-Sync Ultra Low Motion Blur LED Gaming Monitor in 1440.

Will a 3060 suffice?

I like the 3060 even though it is a tier down from the 3070 because I am eyeballing that sweet 12 Gig VRam for Blender,vid ed,and stuff that likes lots of VRAM regardless of the speed. Quantity beats quality here.

And I'm doing MSRP Newegg Shuffle only. Its not the money, its the principle.

Solution
The 12GB of VRAM on the 3060 is for the ethereum miners.
If you are really do benefit significantly with 12gb of vram over 8gb and still want to game I guess it comes down to what you spend more time doing. If you game 8:2 vs using blender I would get the 3070. If its closer to 5:5 I would get the 3060.

Lutfij

Titan
It's already established that the 12GB of VRAM is just marketing trying to to sell you sand, where you are an Arab at this point...or if you want another analogy, they're trying to sell you icecream where you're an eskimo(living in the arctic). It's also established that the 3060 is more of a direct replacement for the 2060 before it.

If you will go for the RTX3070, i.e, IF you can find one in stock.

D

Deleted member 2720853

3070 is way better regardless of VRAM. Has a higher bus width and is overall faster. 3060 is not worth buying imho.

I have a 3070 and my VRAM was maxed out during CoD Warzone, and it started using about 2 gb of shared GPU memory. 1440p144hz Highest settings including RT. But there was no performance drop at all and no difference.

RagedAPE

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2014
My 3070 is destroying cyberpunk maxed out on 1080p I only ever feel lag in the main dead center most busiest area and that's only because it lowers a few frames so it's like dip lag, but hardly noticeable at all and because it's a powerful card it's right back up, for like 99% of the game I notice zero lag, only buttery smooth frames and that is like I say with ray tracing on psycho mode, DLSS on quality and everything else maxed.

So knowing how the 3070 performs I'd buy it again. I think if you do turn to the 3060 to save some money it will most definitely play every single game out at 60 FPS minimum , but you would only turn down graphical settings for the really new games like cyberpunk and when you did, I doubt you would notice the difference in quality.

Reactions: ClapTrapper

Adam0ne

Proper
Feb 9, 2021
IMO, both GPUs are good. Get the newer model or the best one "now"; vice-versa. I think your decision will be driven based on availability.

Today's model is old news tomorrow. They change models so fast, so it doesn't make sense to wait for a better one.

Reactions: ClapTrapper

ClapTrapper

Reputable
May 25, 2020
My 3070 is destroying cyberpunk maxed out on 1080p I only ever feel lag in the main dead center most busiest area and that's only because it lowers a few frames so it's like dip lag, but hardly noticeable at all and because it's a powerful card it's right back up, for like 99% of the game I notice zero lag, only buttery smooth frames and that is like I say with ray tracing on psycho mode, DLSS on quality and everything else maxed.

So knowing how the 3070 performs I'd buy it again. I think if you do turn to the 3060 to save some money it will most definitely play every single game out at 60 FPS minimum , but you would only turn down graphical settings for the really new games like cyberpunk and when you did, I doubt you would notice the difference in quality.
" but you would only turn down graphical settings for the really new games like cyberpunk and when you did, I doubt you would notice the difference in quality. "
OK. That decides it for me. IF I can get a 3060,I think I go with that.
WHEN I play games (not often these days) we are talking Warzone 2100,Unreal Tournament 2004,and Destroy All Humans. Not exactly cutting edge,but just because they are old it doesn't mean they are not fun.

"3060 to save some money it will most definitely play every single game out at 60 FPS minimum"

I'm convinced! There are a lot of games in between my crusty old games to CyberPunk. If I can get 60fps and it looks decent,I'll be happy. Especially since I'll be using the extra VRam on compiles,Blender,vid eds,etc.

Thanks for the advice!

ClapTrapper

Reputable
May 25, 2020
If you are really do benefit significantly with 12gb of vram over 8gb and still want to game I guess it comes down to what you spend more time doing. If you game 8:2 vs using blender I would get the 3070. If its closer to 5:5 I would get the 3060.
Looks like 3060 because it is closer to 9:1

Humm,I have a feeling you don't just "play games"....Gotta love a guy (or gal) that responds in ratios!!
;>

Reactions: helper800

RagedAPE

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2014
The first day I purchased my new pc I played populous the beginning so I feel you on that one lol. But I just realzed you have a 1440p monitor and I suggest the 3060ti or 3070 for that monitor mate, 3060 is good for 1080p monitors, sorry for misreading.

Ash95

Great
Dec 25, 2020
I had a 5700XT (which i believe outperforms the 3060 with ease) and the difference between that and the 3070 is considerable. If VRAM is what you need, perhaps consider AMD’s offerings?