[SOLVED] 3060 ot 3060ti

ruanwagenaar27

Honorable
Sep 5, 2017
Hi all need some info.

Planning to upgrade

What is better the 3060 or the 3060ti

I know the 3060ti is a better performer but in the long run wont the 3060 be better for the 12gb it have?

Solution
No. A vast majority of VRAM is used to store texture data. And while you could go "but I could load up ultra max 16K texture packs!", unless you're rendering at a higher resolution as well, you're not going to see much of a benefit. And if you're rendering at a higher resolution, you're going to lose a lot of performance quickly.

The other stuff that significantly impacts VRAM usage also impacts in-game performance as it requires a more powerful GPU. Things like:
  • Rendering at a higher resolution
  • Rendering with some sort of spatial AA like MSAA
  • Higher quality shadows. Shadows basically re-render the scene.
  • Ray tracing. Higher quality ray tracing requires may require more VRAM for the acceleration structures, but it also...
Hi all need some info.

Planning to upgrade

What is better the 3060 or the 3060ti

I know the 3060ti is a better performer but in the long run wont the 3060 be better for the 12gb it have?
The 12gb is a marketing tactic, I cannot see the 3060 ever being powerful enough to fully utilise it.

Buy a you based on facts, the facts you have are todays benchmarks, guessing about what might happen in the future is more likely to lead to a wrong choice.

No. A vast majority of VRAM is used to store texture data. And while you could go "but I could load up ultra max 16K texture packs!", unless you're rendering at a higher resolution as well, you're not going to see much of a benefit. And if you're rendering at a higher resolution, you're going to lose a lot of performance quickly.

The other stuff that significantly impacts VRAM usage also impacts in-game performance as it requires a more powerful GPU. Things like:
  • Rendering at a higher resolution
  • Rendering with some sort of spatial AA like MSAA
  • Higher quality shadows. Shadows basically re-render the scene.
  • Ray tracing. Higher quality ray tracing requires may require more VRAM for the acceleration structures, but it also costs a lot to do compute wise.
Besides that, storing more textures and such may be a moot point in the future if DirectStorage becomes a thing.

Solution

ruanwagenaar27

Honorable
Sep 5, 2017
For me it is only for gaming im happy with 1080p not too much concerned about 1440p and so on im planning to buy a 144hz 1080p monitor allso with upgrade just want to make sure if i must go for 3060 or ti version. Have read that the 3000 series specs have leaked for the super versions now im curious if i must wait till year end or ratjer go for the 3060ti🤷

For me it is only for gaming im happy with 1080p not too much concerned about 1440p and so on im planning to buy a 144hz 1080p monitor allso with upgrade just want to make sure if i must go for 3060 or ti version. Have read that the 3000 series specs have leaked for the super versions now im curious if i must wait till year end or ratjer go for the 3060ti🤷
The 3060 Ti will last you longer.

Regarding the 3060 Super, the specs put it at 15% better than the 3060 Ti, assuming similar clock speeds. So a more conservative estimate would be 20%. But it also depends on the price and availability whether or not its worthwhile.