Question 3060 Ti FE worth it at this moment?

Pextaxmx

Reputable
Jun 15, 2020
So my teenager is begging for an upgrade from his GTX1060 3GB.... And I see 3060 Ti FE is available for grap at MSRP.
Should I go for it?
Should I wait for 4060 ???
Please help me deciding it before this weekend (bestbuy trip)

Thank you

Pextaxmx

Reputable
Jun 15, 2020
Even a 3050 would be a huge improvement at 1080p over a 1060 3GB.

Though with a 300hz monitor if he is going for super low settings to maximize FPS, then the CPU may actually be the limiting factor.
do you recommend going for 3050 and CPU upgrade? maybe 11600K without overclocking?? (the board is B560M unfortunately)

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Considering the pricing on the FE models at BB, the 3060ti that is due to be in stock in a couple of days is a decent buy. To me, the step up in performance for 'only' $75 more from the 3050 to the 3060ti is totally worthwhile. (based on Newegg's lowest priced 3050 MSI Ventus)

Reactions: Pextaxmx

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
do you recommend going for 3050 and CPU upgrade? maybe 11600K without overclocking?? (the board is B560M unfortunately)

I recently updated my 11600K to an 11900K due to a really good offer/price. I attempted to sell the 11600K, but no one was biting, so I opted to update my HTPC with it and the least expensive B560 board on the market. In testing I have noticed that the cheap mobo is doing fine with the 11600K both in temps and well as boost clocks. I do have a cooler (that was left over) on that was more expensive than the motherboard, but.... ;)

The 3060ti is a huge jump in graphics capability.
Kudos for buying a top end psu up front.
You will have no problem with power.

Trust your son to know what he needs.
I say go for it.

Yes, new stuff is coming, and likely will bring about a 15% bump in price performance. But, new cards will be launched first at the highest(expensive) performance levels and will be in short supply.
Possibly, intel discrete graphics cards will compete.
If you wait for the next best thing, you will wait forever.

The 11400 processor is a capable gamer.
But, one thing you might do is to run this simple test:

Run HIS games, but lower their resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

So my teenager is begging for an upgrade from his GTX1060 3GB.... And I see 3060 Ti FE is available for grap at MSRP.
Should I go for it?
Should I wait for 4060 ???
Please help me deciding it before this weekend (bestbuy trip)

Thank you
It depends on how long you can wait, the rumour is the 4090 will release in October, they tend to do one card at a time so your probably looking at least a 4 month wait and possibly more. You should be aware that the 40 series is expected to be significantly faster. However a 3060 Ti would do a good job of Halo Infinite, you won't get 300hz on it though but it should do 120hz at 1080p just fine.