Question 3060 Ti is artifacting. Is it the PSU?

Jan 11, 2023
Hello everybody. I've been having a bit of PC trouble and I was hoping someone here could point me in the correct direction.
Last November I purchased this pre-built from Newegg. A couple weeks ago I started noticing some graphical glitches in certain games. I figured it was just buggy games, but after fiddling around a bit it definitely seems to be actual artifacts. Flickering ground in Anno 1800, flashing colored lights and reflections in Hunt: Showdown, long jagged black triangles in Outward, and red pixels occasionally on the desktop or in programs. Some of these get better when I turn down graphics. Hunt only has problems when I raise my refresh rate above 60hz.
I have used DDU to completely uninstall and reinstall my drivers, dusted everything out, and tested different monitors. I have not overclocked anything, and if I underclock it doesn't fix anything. Kombustor picks up hundreds of artifacts that you can clearly see. After running a bunch of tests on OCCT, it looks like the VRAM test causes the pixels to start to appear.

I am not the most tech-savvy person around. From what I've read, despite it being 600W, I have a trash PSU from ThermalTake that could have contributed to damaging my GPU. With all this said, here are my questions:

Is my PSU bad? What is a better one for the system I have?
If I replace the PSU, will I have to replace/repair the GPU?
If I RMA the GPU, do I have to go through ASUS, NVIDIA, or another company?

Thank you everybody for all your help!

Windows 10
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10400F CPU 2.90GHz - CPU
ASUS TUF RTX 3060 Ti V2 GAMING OC - GPU
16 GB RAM
Gigabyte B560 DS3H AC-Y1 - MoBo
ThermalTake Smart 600W - PSU
Sceptre Curved 27" 165hz Gaming Monitor

4745454b

Titan
You said you had a prebuilt. So while probably not the greatest PSU, whoever made it (hopefully) did testing and decided that was the most cost effective unit for that system. If it's a prebuilt it should have a warranty, and I suggest using it. It could also be a dying GPU. Inform them of the issue and let them decide what to do.

Jan 11, 2023
Thank you guys so much this is crazy helpful to me!
One weird follow up - Not long after getting this computer, one of the rgb fans stopped lighting up. It works just fine otherwise, I just cannot get it to light up no matter what. After opening it all up the other day I see it's also a ThermalTake fan, and the only one like it in the computer. Could the PSU also be the culprit as to why this won't light up anymore, or maybe the brand name just doesn't make the best fans either?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Thank you guys so much this is crazy helpful to me!
One weird follow up - Not long after getting this computer, one of the rgb fans stopped lighting up. It works just fine otherwise, I just cannot get it to light up no matter what. After opening it all up the other day I see it's also a ThermalTake fan, and the only one like it in the computer. Could the PSU also be the culprit as to why this won't light up anymore, or maybe the brand name just doesn't make the best fans either?

Probably just cheap fans. Unless you go to the true boutique builders like Falcon Northwest or Puget Systems, the PCs come with an array of the cheapest parts available, from motherboard to RAM to power supply to case to fan, unless you pay for upgrades to good aftermarket parts, which places are usually happy to do for only double the MSRP.

TRENDING THREADS