Randi Poling

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2014
So I managed to acquire an Asus ROG Strix 3060 OC 12GB for 529 from Microcenter. I have it paired with a 4790(non k, it's on an Alienware board from an x51, which has been dumped into a Nzxt h210 with a hyper 212 evo, and an EVGA 500w psu)

I plan on building a new machine next year once ddr5 starts rolling, would that card be worth holding onto and using for now, and dropping into a new system next year?

I noticed via task manager that the gpu never really pegs out at 100%, mostly floats around 50ish% (sans flight simulator) and it's my cpu that's usually pegged at 100%. I'd be upgrading from a 760ti that's dell oem in that machine, and a 770sc (paired with an i7-860) in my main machine.

Solution
Best to see how the 3060 works in the new games.
Some will be cpu limited, and some will be graphics limited.
You can then better tell if a graphics upgrade will be worth it for you.
You can try this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.
As of now, I think the cpu is your main limiter.

With Intel entering the market, we may finally see some more normal graphics card pricing.

Randi Poling

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2014
Yes, keep it and use it in your next upgrade. Even with the CPU bottleneck, your performance should still be better, than what you have now.
Cool, I was going to plan on getting a 3080 super or just a 3080 my next build, but with all the rumors about chip shortage and supply of GPUs....

And yeah, I can see the performance, I was able to go from playing doom eternal at lowest settings at 1080 at like, 2/3 fps, to ultra nightmare, 1440p at 90 to 120fps... With RTX enabled.

Randi Poling

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2014
Thanks for the responses. I may just stick with it since I cant really find a Series X anywhere and kinda want to play HALO, AoE4, BF2042, ill just call it an early XMAS gift and a REALLY EARLY bday gift to myself, haha.

More opinions are welcome though!

Last edited:
Best to see how the 3060 works in the new games.
Some will be cpu limited, and some will be graphics limited.
You can then better tell if a graphics upgrade will be worth it for you.
You can try this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.
As of now, I think the cpu is your main limiter.

With Intel entering the market, we may finally see some more normal graphics card pricing.

Solution
Dec 2, 2021
Always in motion is the future. The bird in hand may turn out to be the only one to be had even in the bushes.

Hopefully not but the way things have been the past year, I'd hold on to it until I have an upgrade.

TRENDING THREADS