[SOLVED] 3060ti, 9900K running on a 650w PSU and a z370 board.

Jul 24, 2021
So I have 2 queries, I'm using an ASUS Prime z370-a ii board. As I understand the ii model has a different vrm to the base a model, more suited to the 9th gen CPUs, I'm wondering if anyone has experience running this board with this CPU and if it can handle it. I'm not looking for a 5ghz OC, just stock boost to about 4.7ghz, maybe even tick it up to 4.8 but no higher. My second query is about my PSU, is 650w enough to power a stock 9900k and a 3060ti or am I in the danger area of having random shutdowns under load. I used a few calculators online and most reported back that under load id expect about 550w. I'm basically looking for clarification before I fry my pc, my PSU is an RM650 80+ gold.

Solution
As for your first query, you can look here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/overclocking-i9-9900k-with-asus-prime-z370-a-ii.3538210/

They are basically suggesting that either you upgrade to a Z390 for better overclocking capabilities and better VRM. If you do still want to keep your Z370 Prime A II, just leave it at stock and you will be good to go.

As for your second query, it never hurts to have more wattage headroom but of course not to the point that it needs to be overkill. If you plan on keeping your system for the years to come with GPU upgrades in mind, I would suggest at least an 850 watts power supply. Otherwise, I would recommend 750 watts for PSU. Please do check the latest PSU tier list as well for top...

Cem Goker

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2013
As for your first query, you can look here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/overclocking-i9-9900k-with-asus-prime-z370-a-ii.3538210/

They are basically suggesting that either you upgrade to a Z390 for better overclocking capabilities and better VRM. If you do still want to keep your Z370 Prime A II, just leave it at stock and you will be good to go.

As for your second query, it never hurts to have more wattage headroom but of course not to the point that it needs to be overkill. If you plan on keeping your system for the years to come with GPU upgrades in mind, I would suggest at least an 850 watts power supply. Otherwise, I would recommend 750 watts for PSU. Please do check the latest PSU tier list as well for top quality PSU.

Solution

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
So I have 2 queries, I'm using an ASUS Prime z370-a ii board. As I understand the ii model has a different vrm to the base a model, more suited to the 9th gen CPUs, I'm wondering if anyone has experience running this board with this CPU and if it can handle it. I'm not looking for a 5ghz OC, just stock boost to about 4.7ghz, maybe even tick it up to 4.8 but no higher. My second query is about my PSU, is 650w enough to power a stock 9900k and a 3060ti or am I in the danger area of having random shutdowns under load. I used a few calculators online and most reported back that under load id expect about 550w. I'm basically looking for clarification before I fry my pc, my PSU is an RM650 80+ gold.
First almost al PSU calculators are just garbage they over estimate the watts to make up for a person that buys a junk PSU.

The first question I'm not going to look up the Vram/power delivery on the board you should of done that before you bought it.
The 2nd question the RM 650 should be fine for that system.
200 Watt card, 200 watt CPU for a short burst under load about 60 watts for the rest 460 watts. The new drivers are supposed to take care of the card power spikes.

Jul 24, 2021

As for your second query, it never hurts to have more wattage headroom but of course not to the point that it needs to be overkill. If you plan on keeping your system for the years to come with GPU upgrades in mind, I would suggest at least an 850 watts power supply. Otherwise, I would recommend 750 watts for PSU. Please do check the latest PSU tier list as well for top quality PSU.
Thanks, I'll keep this motherboard since it will be fine at stock from what I've read, I don't need to overclock past the 4.7ghz boost anyway.

First almost al PSU calculators are just garbage they over estimate the watts to make up for a person that buys a junk PSU.

The first question I'm not going to look up the Vram/power delivery on the board you should of done that before you bought it.
The 2nd question the RM 650 should be fine for that system.
200 Watt card, 200 watt CPU for a short burst under load about 60 watts for the rest 460 watts. The new drivers are supposed to take care of the card power spikes.
I mean if I just bought this motherboard then yes I should have checked the vrm but I've had it for 2 years and never intended to put a 9th gen cpu in it so the vrm would have been fine no matter what.

g-unit1111

Titan
I mean if I just bought this motherboard then yes I should have checked the vrm but I've had it for 2 years and never intended to put a 9th gen cpu in it so the vrm would have been fine no matter what.

Not exactly. The 9900K isn't a typical mainstream CPU - it's geared towards enthusiasts and extreme over clockers. You can't just use any motherboard with it and expect for it to be OK. You have to use a much higher end motherboard and cooling setup with it, and you have to get a much higher end power supply.

Jul 24, 2021
Not exactly. The 9900K isn't a typical mainstream CPU - it's geared towards enthusiasts and extreme over clockers. You can't just use any motherboard with it and expect for it to be OK. You have to use a much higher end motherboard and cooling setup with it, and you have to get a much higher end power supply.
This conflicts with everything else I've been told or read. My board supports the chip and according to Asus the vrm is better than the first model, cooling isn't an issue I have a dark rock pro 4 and I don't intend to overclock straight away. Also why would I need a higher end psu? I understand I don't have much headroom but t's not really possible for my system to pull more than 550w unless I'm really pushing the CPU clocks.

g-unit1111

Titan
This conflicts with everything else I've been told or read. My board supports the chip and according to Asus the vrm is better than the first model, cooling isn't an issue I have a dark rock pro 4 and I don't intend to overclock straight away. Also why would I need a higher end psu? I understand I don't have much headroom but t's not really possible for my system to pull more than 550w unless I'm really pushing the CPU clocks.

The Prime you probably shouldn't have any problems with but I wouldn't trust anything lower than that. And yeah your cooler is one of the better coolers on the market.

Forget what I said about PSU, yours is pretty decent. You could always get better sure, but for your uses I wouldn't worry too much about it, at least for the time being.

Last edited: