Question 3060Ti Galax installation and Registration

dimebag11

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2014
I just bought a GALAX Nvidia 3060 Ti 8gb. I have two monitors. The main one is connected via a DISPLAY PORT to HDMI cable and the second monitor is connected via a HDMI to HDMI cable. My OS is Windows 8.1. ASUS ROG Rampage IV black edition .

Here are my issues :
  • Only the main monitor shows up. The second monitor is not recognized. Generic non PNP monitor driver is installed.
  • The graphics card is not even recognized. Display driver only shows microsoft basic.
  • No registration page for GALAX and I need this to register for warranty
  • When I try to search for NVIDIA drivers no drivers show up at all.

Can anyone please help. Thank you.

dimebag11

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2014
Tried it. It gives the reply :

NVIDIA installer cannot continue.
The nvidia graphics driver is not compatible with this version of windows
The graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware
when you donwload that nvidia installer, it gets extracted first in c:\nvidia folder before setup launches, launcher wont work for obvious reasons
so either launch it first so files gets extracted, or use winrar to extract it
then go to device manager, locate you basic display adapter and click update driver, then browse my computer for drivers, here let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer, then click have disk, tthen browse to this location: C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\471.41\Win8_Win7_64\International\Display.Driver\
then click OK
if it says it doesnt contains any compatible drivers, then u will need to turn off driver signature
https://www.manula.com/manuals/trid...signature-enforcement-under-windows-8-and-8-1

dimebag11

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2014
when you donwload that nvidia installer, it gets extracted first in c:\nvidia folder before setup launches, launcher wont work for obvious reasons
so either launch it first so files gets extracted, or use winrar to extract it
then go to device manager, locate you basic display adapter and click update driver, then browse my computer for drivers, here let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer, then click have disk, tthen browse to this location: C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\471.41\Win8_Win7_64\International\Display.Driver\
then click OK
if it says it doesnt contains any compatible drivers, then u will need to turn off driver signature
https://www.manula.com/manuals/trid...signature-enforcement-under-windows-8-and-8-1

There are a lot of fixes showing how to fix this issue. But all of them are for Windows 10. Also My C: contains no NVIDIA folder.

dimebag11

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2014
run that driver installer, and dont close it, once it says not compatible os

Tried an older version 378.66. In my device manager only Microsoft Display is listed. Ran the 378.66 installer. It said graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware.
I clicked on update driver for the Microsoft basic display and manually went to the folder you suggested but it just says everything is upto date.

I'd say go ahead and bump to Windows 10. Even though Microsoft says you can't do the free upgrade anymore, to be honest, when I've tried it in the last year or so on Windows 7 systems it still works. So I'd suggest download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool, tell it you want to upgrade your PC and keep everything(make sure you have a good backup in case though). Then allow it to update. In my opinion, Windows 10 is a much better OS than Windows 8/8.1. I tried to use those OS's but still didn't care for them.

dimebag11

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2014
I'd say go ahead and bump to Windows 10. Even though Microsoft says you can't do the free upgrade anymore, to be honest, when I've tried it in the last year or so on Windows 7 systems it still works. So I'd suggest download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool, tell it you want to upgrade your PC and keep everything(make sure you have a good backup in case though). Then allow it to update. In my opinion, Windows 10 is a much better OS than Windows 8/8.1. I tried to use those OS's but still didn't care for them.

Windows 8.1 has been fantastic to me. Zero issues in all the years I have used it. The only thing about upgrading to windows 10 is I have a ASUS Rampage IV Black edition. It says not compatible with windows 10 or atleast less support. Any thoughts on that?

Oh you mean the motherboard. I'm not 100% sure, but honestly, drivers for Windows 7 or 8 usually work fine. For example, I've got an old close to 10 year old Dell Optiplex at home with an Intel i7 3770 that is in my wife's home office. I upgraded it to 16gb of ram and an ssd, and it's been happily running Windows 10 the past couple of years or so. But for a ddr3 board, honestly, you probably don't have a lot of support on that board, as in if it breaks down, I would imagine Asus would be more than happy to sell you a new board to along with a new AMD or Intel cpu.

dimebag11

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2014
Oh you mean the motherboard. I'm not 100% sure, but honestly, drivers for Windows 7 or 8 usually work fine. For example, I've got an old close to 10 year old Dell Optiplex at home with an Intel i7 3770 that is in my wife's home office. I upgraded it to 16gb of ram and an ssd, and it's been happily running Windows 10 the past couple of years or so. But for a ddr3 board, honestly, you probably don't have a lot of support on that board, as in if it breaks down, I would imagine Asus would be more than happy to sell you a new board to along with a new AMD or Intel cpu.

Yeah a friend of mine said that he installed windows 10 on his 13 year old laptop with no issues. But this is my one and only rig for my work. If this compromises my mobo then I have to cough up more cash for that motherboard as well. The only reason I bought the 3060ti in the first place was because my old 780 ended up giving problems.

I have 64gb of ram and a i7-4930k . I am not sure I see any other option apart from switching to windows 10 and taking that chance though.

I will say that I've seen one or two systems act up, but that being said, I've worked on quite a few systems, and most of them seem to handle it quite happily. Windows 10 is a lot like Windows 8 was, except it's more laid out for a desktop style of computing in my opinion, although they did have a tablet mode. So more of a one size fits all. But you'd probably find that Windows 8 drivers would likely work if needed. Though typically Windows 10 seems to be pretty good about seeing devices connected to the system if they are more than a year or two old and making them work.

dimebag11

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2014
I will say that I've seen one or two systems act up, but that being said, I've worked on quite a few systems, and most of them seem to handle it quite happily. Windows 10 is a lot like Windows 8 was, except it's more laid out for a desktop style of computing in my opinion, although they did have a tablet mode. So more of a one size fits all. But you'd probably find that Windows 8 drivers would likely work if needed. Though typically Windows 10 seems to be pretty good about seeing devices connected to the system if they are more than a year or two old and making them work.

Thank you for your reply. I will try it out and report back here with updates.

Thank you for your reply. I will try it out and report back here with updates.

I had Windows 10 installed on my Asus P8B75M with a Core i5 3570 with a GTX 1060 and then RTX 2070 without issues.

Have you check Asus website to see if theres drivers for your mobo for Windows 10 (most likely Windows 10 will install all of them by default but just in case)?

Do you have a Windows 8.1 installation drive? I mean you could try Windows 10, if it does not work go back to Windows 8.1.

Last edited:

dimebag11

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2014
I had Windows 10 installed on my Asus P8B75M with a Core i5 3570 with a GTX 1060 and then RTX 2070 without issues.

Have you check Asus website to see if theres drivers for your mobo for Windows 10 (most likely Windows 10 will install all of them by default but just in case)?

Do you have a Windows 8.1 installation drive? I mean you could try Windows 10, if it does not work go back to Windows 8.1.

I actually have windows 8.1 installed on a 256gb ssd. I also have a 1TB SSD free for use( it currently has some files but Im sure I can move it).

There are some drivers listed for the ASUS Rampage IV on a drivers website : https://drivers.eu/Mainboards/ASUS/RAMPAGE IV BLACK EDITION

There are also some listed on a thread : https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?72562-Windows-10-WHQL-RIVBE-driver-pack

I am looking at these forums and trying to come up with a solution. I really dont want my purchase of the 3060Ti to have been in vain and am already dreading plonking down more for a new mobo just to accommodate windows 10.

Would love any and all help.

You bascially have 2 problems.

1. Your system is old, Im sure is working perfectly, but it has some ages on it.
  2. You got the most moder GPU out there.

I would really look for drivers at Asus, not some third party website.

And if you have a spare SSD, all you need to do is unplug the smaller one (to keep it safe, you can also do a abckup just in case), and install Windows 10 on the big one. Windows 10 download tool can be found here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10.

dimebag11

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2014
Ok so I got the drivers from the ASUS website. Any chance you know if I am required to flash my BIOS? .... Or should I just load a copy of windows 10 onto a USB and do a fresh install on the 1tb SSD

dimebag11

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2014
If you want to do that to be safe just install to the 1tb, and leave the 256gb unplugged. Personally though, I have a 256gb nvme, so that's my OS drive with Windows 10. Then I have a 1tb ssd that I use for games/storage and 2 1tb hdd drives for anything else.

I'll just use the new SSD to install . So no need to flash then right?

dimebag11

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2014
As far as bios? You usually don’t need to flash the bios unless there’s some issues you are having or some feature you need. But theoretically you should be able to unplug your small ssd, have your windows 10 installer on a usb drive, then boot from the usb.

Alright. Thanks for that. Let me just get everything in order and try it out.

TRENDING THREADS