Reputable
Jul 28, 2020
Hi,

So my current specs are -

I7 8700k
GTX MSI 1070 8gb
32GB 4 X 8GB Corsair vengence LPX 2400mhz ram
600watt PSU

I play in 1080p with 2 x 144hz monitors, i have just brought (GeForce RTX™ 3060 Ti GAMING X 8G LHR) and my concern is that my ram speed is not fast enough i see most use 3200mhz or more will this have a big effect playing in 1080? Thanks.

Solution
Rocket league is the only one i don't play on ultra i play it on low settings for best performance but i like to play all other games on ultra settings but not RL. Mainly shooters like escape from tarkov, insurgency sandstorm, cod cold war and probably pick up the new battlefield etc.
Well, with your setup being this balanced you are missing out by not playing with all the settings on high. As for the ram speed, this could be a concern, intel performance doesn't usually differ that much depending on ram speed.

Here is a test using similar architecture cpu.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VElMNPXJtuA&ab_channel=HardwareUnboxed

It seems to be worth it strictly for gaming. Maybe dump...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Depends on what you play. It varies, unfortunately, as it's not a guaranteed all-around substantial upgrade... except if already cpu limited in specific applications.
When that happens, ram speed and timings do matter a little more - it's not just about the frequency. Higher frequency, lower timings - finding a balance of the 2.
T'is one of those scenarios where it's better to already have a faster ram kit, and going to buy one later can be a waste.

If you're into more of the single player stuff, or prefer to play with some of the eye candy turned up, I don't think you're going to miss it.
If you're into the high fps or eSports stuff, where you're often turning down all the eye candy, thus forcing more work on the cpu, well... I suppose it's a bit more worthwhile.

SMS85

Reputable
Jul 28, 2020
Depends on what you play. It varies, unfortunately, as it's not a guaranteed all-around substantial upgrade... except if already cpu limited in specific applications.
When that happens, ram speed and timings do matter a little more - it's not just about the frequency. Higher frequency, lower timings - finding a balance of the 2.
T'is one of those scenarios where it's better to already have a faster ram kit, and going to buy one later can be a waste.

If you're into more of the single player stuff, or prefer to play with some of the eye candy turned up, I don't think you're going to miss it.
If you're into the high fps or eSports stuff, where you're often turning down all the eye candy, thus forcing more work on the cpu, well... I suppose it's a bit more worthwhile.
Thanks for the reply. Yes i am more about the ultra graphic settings on every game apart from Rocket league.

SMS85

Reputable
Jul 28, 2020
Yeah, I don't believe you're going to miss much if Rocket League is the only ultra high fps title.
Rocket league is the only one i don't play on ultra i play it on low settings for best performance but i like to play all other games on ultra settings but not RL. Mainly shooters like escape from tarkov, insurgency sandstorm, cod cold war and probably pick up the new battlefield etc.

Well, with your setup being this balanced you are missing out by not playing with all the settings on high. As for the ram speed, this could be a concern, intel performance doesn't usually differ that much depending on ram speed.

It seems to be worth it strictly for gaming. Maybe dump what you have and settle for a 16GB kit? 3200Mhz to 3733Mhz seems to be the price range and performance level you might want to look at.

Reactions: SMS85
Solution

SMS85

Reputable
Jul 28, 2020

It seems to be worth it strictly for gaming. Maybe dump what you have and settle for a 16GB kit? 3200Mhz to 3733Mhz seems to be the price range and performance level you might want to look at.
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to get the ram but 2x8gb
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07RM39V5F/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1
At 3600mhz. I'll be selling the gtx 1070 and the 32gb of 2400mhz corsair vengeance which will claw back some of the money being spent.

Cheers.

Reactions: spentshells
Reactions: SMS85