Question 3070 GPU Not Being Registered In Device Manager

Feb 16, 2023
I recently installed an EVGA RTX 3070 in my computer. It has worked perfectly with the Windows on a slow, older generation hdd (pushing 9 years now?).

However, a new SSD with Windows 10 Pro (several fresh installs) cannot seem to register it. Updating Windows does not help. I can't even install drivers from NVIDIA because it says the driver is not compatible.

I can switch back and forth and the HDD always registers the 3070, so I know it's hooked in right. I assume there's no BIOS issue.

Additional Information: Windows 10 installs are from the same install file.

To me, this rules out the common problems I find all over the internet: 1) The drive is seated right. 2) It's not even registering the 3070 in device manager, so it's probably not the drives. 3) It shouldn't be in the BIOS since it works on the HDD.

Does anyone have any insight into what could be going on? How can 2 hard drives with the same OS differ in the devices they're seeing?

Thanks!

It's not even registering the 3070 in device manager

Does it display the CODE 43 ERROR in device manager, and there is a yellow exclamation mark with a triangle (underneath "Display Adapter" with a yellow mark) ? Or, there is some other error message displayed ?

Do you have the latest BIOS installed on your system ? Kindly provide full PC specs as well. Also, make sure the PCI-e power cables are also properly connected and plugged into the GPU, from the PSU (6 or 8-PIN PCIE/PEG connectors as applicable for your GPU model) .

Maebius

Splendid
Feb 17, 2017
Make sure the new drive has the latest motherboard (chipset) drivers installed.
Also, not registering means that you're viewing windows with the processor GPU or are you on the 3070 in "compatibility" mode?

Feb 16, 2023
Thanks for the prompt responses everyone! And apologies for my severely delayed one.

Does it display the CODE 43 ERROR in device manager, and there is a yellow exclamation mark with a triangle (underneath "Display Adapter" with a yellow mark) ? Or, there is some other error message displayed ?

Do you have the latest BIOS installed on your system ? Kindly provide full PC specs as well. Also, make sure the PCI-e power cables are also properly connected and plugged into the GPU, from the PSU (6 or 8-PIN PCIE/PEG connectors as applicable for your GPU model) .

-There's no code or symbol in the device manager, it just displays the basic adapter without acknowledging the existence.
-I think I have the latest BIOS. If I didn't, wouldn't that affect the correctly functioning system as well?
-Computer Specs:
Processor: i7-6700K
Mobo: AS Rock Z170 Gaming K4 -- Operating in Legacy
Memory: GZSkill Trident Z 2x8 GB
GPU: EVGA GEOFORCE RTX 3070
PSU: Thermaltake ToughPower GF1 750W

Correctly Functioning HD: Seagate Baracuda XT 2 TB -- OS: Window 10 Home
Incorrectly Functioning HD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB -- OS: Tried both Windows 10 Home + Pro, Currently have Pro installed.

Cables appear to be tightly secured, but even if they weren't, that would also affect the correctly function system?

Make sure the new drive has the latest motherboard (chipset) drivers installed.
Also, not registering means that you're viewing windows with the processor GPU or are you on the 3070 in "compatibility" mode?

-I had never thought about chipset drivers. I would look up something like that on the ASRock website?
-My monitor is hooked up to the 3070, but it still goes through the processor GPU. My second monitor does not display at all.

You said you have 10 Pro on SSD. What's on HDD then? Same?
What kind of SSD it is? SATA or PCIe? Installed where? What motherboard? Which slot GPU is installed?

-Both have had 10 Home and HDD currently has it, SSD currently has 10 Pro. Same installation files.
-SSD above. I'm using SATA cables, so I don't think it's PCIe.
-SSD is going into SATA_1, HDD is going into SATA_3
-GPU is installed in PCI Slot 1 (PCI bus 1).

Thanks again!! I will look into the Chipsets and update if I find anything.

Maebius

Splendid
Feb 17, 2017
-I had never thought about chipset drivers. I would look up something like that on the ASRock website?
-My monitor is hooked up to the 3070, but it still goes through the processor GPU. My second monitor does not display at all.
Thanks again!! I will look into the Chipsets and update if I find anything.
Your motherboard drivers seem to be around there https://www.asrock.com/mb/intel/Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4/#Download

Your reply about the monitor confused me. When the card works do you unplug the SSDs or just choose to boot from HDD from the BIOS?

If you only have a cable from the 3070 to one monitor (without connecting the processor GPU at all), is there picture? Can you view the BIOS and all?