[SOLVED] 3070 Low FPS. Intel Core i9-9900K

Mar 26, 2022
This has been bothering me for over a year now. I have no idea what to do or how to fix it. After I upgraded and bought a whole new machine, I feel my performance is worse or if not the same. I had a 1060 before... wtf is going on?

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51508547

I'm convinced the GPU I bought on release is a dud. I spoke to Nvidia customer support ten times with no resolve.

Naturally, a 9900K will not match a 12600K or even a 5600X, but, it's still more than adequate.

Let's first (install both if needed) run and take a look at HWmonitor and CPU-z, and on the latter, run 'bench'/stress CPU for about 15 minutes, observing HWMonitor for clock speeds and temps at the 5, 10, and 15 minute points. (4700 MHz sustained would be normal for most Z390 boards, but, temps approaching 100C and lowered clock speeds would indicate throttling, so, let's see if there is any evidence of that first...)

(If you mainboard has MCE enabled, the BOS might shoot for 5 GHz acoss all cores, which could easily lead to overheating, so you might want t begin your testing with MCE disabled, if appllcable)

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
-First off , definitely take Userbenchmark with a grain of salt. You can run that test 5 times back to back and get 5 different results.

-My first question would be what kind of temps are you getting? Could you be thermal throttling? If you don't already have it download HWinfo64 and play a game, and look at your temps and clock speeds.

-Something to consider is that your GPU and CPU are both in the green, despite being far from the best. Userbenchmark is based off of USERS, so anyone and everyone using it that has an overclocked system is going to be extending that "best possible performance" line out further ahead of you. And I would guess a LOT of 9900k's and 3070's are OC'd. So being in the 17th percentile might just mean 83 percent of the other cards tested were OC'd.

-Having ANY data on a drive will lower its score on UBM.

What are your actual FPS before and after the upgrade? You are also playing at 1080p which could potentially bottleneck your CPU before your GPU, so if you are playing games like overwatch or cod where its normal to get in the 100-200s+ fps then you might be hitting that ceiling because of the CPU. Thats still a beast CPU, but its something to consider.

Last edited:
Naturally, a 9900K will not match a 12600K or even a 5600X, but, it's still more than adequate.

Let's first (install both if needed) run and take a look at HWmonitor and CPU-z, and on the latter, run 'bench'/stress CPU for about 15 minutes, observing HWMonitor for clock speeds and temps at the 5, 10, and 15 minute points. (4700 MHz sustained would be normal for most Z390 boards, but, temps approaching 100C and lowered clock speeds would indicate throttling, so, let's see if there is any evidence of that first...)

(If you mainboard has MCE enabled, the BOS might shoot for 5 GHz acoss all cores, which could easily lead to overheating, so you might want t begin your testing with MCE disabled, if appllcable)

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS