[SOLVED] 3070 not found after changing cpu cooler

LouisVDW

Reputable
Jun 28, 2017
Hello

Today I swapped my old CPU cooler for a new one. In the process I had to unplug my GPU and RAM, this has resulted in several issues.
The main issue is that my 3070, doesn't output any signal anymore (just yesterday it worked fine), however the lights and fans still work.

I can get signal if I connect a monitor to the motherboard IO, but not directly on the GPU.
After booting up (with a monitor connected to the MB) my system does not find my GPU.

Relevant specs:
Inno3D GeForce RTX 3070 Twin X2 OC
MSI B150M night elf motherboard
I7 6700
corsair-RM550X power supply
currently using 1x8GB of RAM (that's the other issue, might just have to clean the second stick/slot)

All these specs used to work together until I swapped the cooler. Power shouldn't be the issue because I swapped from a pump+fan to just a fan.
The motherboard does have "EZ debugging LEDS", but all of them are off while running.

What I've tried so far:
-Reseating the GPU (yes, the socket clicked into place)
-Unplugging and replugging the PSU to GPU cables on both ends.
-Holding a screw driver against the JBAT1 pins to clear the BIOS.
-POST test. It showed that the PC can do a full startup, even with the GPU installed, and that I can only get signal through MB IO.

Thank you for reading, any help is appreciated.

Solution
For everyone hooting and hollering about his PSU not being enough, with his other parts I would say 550w is fine. The 6700 pulls like 150w max, add another 100w for the rest of the system and that leaves 300w for the GPU which will use less than 240w at peak. That PSU is a very high quality one as well. He does not need to rush out and get a new PSU.

Also make sure to try the GPU at least once more time in the top slot on the motherboard before you write it off as dead. You may have not properly seated the card when you reinstalled it again after putting in the cooler. The cooler could also be touching the heatsink fan for the CPU causing a short.

LouisVDW

Reputable
Jun 28, 2017
How on Earth did you manage to power that GPU with that PSU? You're under the power requirement for the GPU, by 100 watts, even more if your PSU isn't brand new.

Well, somehow it worked. I didn't really question it. I've been using this setup for over a year now without issues.
I will follow your advice and get a bigger PSU. Though I'm not completely convinced that will solve the issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fatblabs

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Well, maybe you've over-tightened the cpu cooler and/ bent a pin? The top PCIe slot is connected to the cpu, and the secondary is usually through the mobo chipset.
Take the cooler and cpu off and take a look at the pins in the socket - might be a little hard without a magnifying glass or such. If you don't find anything unusual, then remount the cooler, but apply a little less pressure.
When the screw stops, you stop - do not go any further.

Fatblabs

Commendable
Jun 29, 2021
Well, somehow it worked. I didn't really question it. I've been using this setup for over a year now without issues.
I will follow your advice and get a bigger PSU. Though I'm not completely convinced that will solve the issue.
Well you really should upgrade your psu with a higher wattage, as this is beneficial for your pc and yourself.

For everyone hooting and hollering about his PSU not being enough, with his other parts I would say 550w is fine. The 6700 pulls like 150w max, add another 100w for the rest of the system and that leaves 300w for the GPU which will use less than 240w at peak. That PSU is a very high quality one as well. He does not need to rush out and get a new PSU.

Also make sure to try the GPU at least once more time in the top slot on the motherboard before you write it off as dead. You may have not properly seated the card when you reinstalled it again after putting in the cooler. The cooler could also be touching the heatsink fan for the CPU causing a short.

Last edited:
Solution

Also make sure to try the GPU at least once more in the top motherboard slot before you write it off as dead. You may have not properly seated the card when you reinstalled it again after putting in the cooler. The cooler could also be touching the heatsink fan for the CPU causing a short.

I'd agree with this. It's an RM, it'll have some headroom over its rated wattage. But the OP now has a 750w unit, what brand and model is that by the way?

I think @Phaaze88 is on the right track, you need to remove the cooler and check pins.

LouisVDW

Reputable
Jun 28, 2017
Well, maybe you've over-tightened the cpu cooler and/ bent a pin? The top PCIe slot is connected to the cpu, and the secondary is usually through the mobo chipset.
Take the cooler and cpu off and take a look at the pins in the socket - might be a little hard without a magnifying glass or such. If you don't find anything unusual, then remount the cooler, but apply a little less pressure.
When the screw stops, you stop - do not go any further.
It's hard to tell for sure but I don't see any bent pins.
I remounted the cooler, stopping when I feel significant resistance (which I think I did previously as well), but no signs of improvement so far.

LouisVDW

Reputable
Jun 28, 2017
So what cooler you use now? Maybe heatsink touches anything it should not?
Scythe mugen 5 rev.B.
The heatsink is pretty far off the board, and visually I can't spot it touching anything other than cables.
Though I don't know how much of a concern that is when the cpu can output to a monitor and work fine in its current state.

LouisVDW

Reputable
Jun 28, 2017
To post a short (but probably meaningless) update:
Got a new motherboard today: Asus PRIME B365M-K.
I power the PC on with the most basic setup (just ram+cpu and all required PSU cables). It shuts down after half a second by itself...
Considering the same thing works on my old motherboard there's a good chance somethings wrong with it, at least I can return it within 14 days...

TRENDING THREADS