Question 3070 not working with PCIE riser

bumblebee953

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
I've got an ASUS ROG x570 Crosshair Dark Hero mobo, with Seasonic Prime TX-850

I have an RTX 3070 that I've been using until my RTX 3090 arrived. The 3090 goes in the main x16 slot. I wanted to farm some crypto with 3070 so I got one of these risers .

Plugging the riser into the x1 never worked - no display signal.
Then I tried the x16 slot closest to the top slot occupied by the 3090 - display is fine but Device Manager doesn't list the 3070 and nothing on GPU-Z or HWInfo (only shows 3090).

Tried the bottom x16 slot. The frist time it showed up on Device Manager. But on HWInfo it shows as GPU #0: [FAKE}: RTX 3070. Not sure what the FAKE is supposed to be but either way the miner wasn't picking up the 3070 anyway.
Then I tried re-slotting the riser into the same slot and now it's not showing up anywhere.

I thought these risers are more or less plug and play so I'm not sure if there was some config that I needed to do? Is the riser just DOA?

Any help appreciated!

Lutfij

Titan
Those risers are an absolute mess, you should be investing in reliably built cables and since you're going to be mining, you don't need x16 lanes, an x1 PCIe riser will do. Make sure you're on the latest BIOS version for your motherboard. It's possible that the riser you have is DOA. FYI, the riser you've linked is the same sort of riser used by laptop's that need to drop in a discrete GPU for gaming, not mining.

bumblebee953

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
Those risers are an absolute mess, you should be investing in reliably built cables and since you're going to be mining, you don't need x16 lanes, an x1 PCIe riser will do. Make sure you're on the latest BIOS version for your motherboard. It's possible that the riser you have is DOA. FYI, the riser you've linked is the same sort of riser used by laptop's that need to drop in a discrete GPU for gaming, not mining.

Thanks for the response! I will try to update my BIOS. The risers are known to have poor quality SATA cables that it comes with and are recommended to use your own high quality PCIE power cables, which I do.
Interesting thing is when I tried the x1 slot and got no display signal (ie. monitor detected no signal from my 3090), the Q-Code on my mobo said 94 - PCI Bus Enumeration. Not sure what that meant but wondering if it's some configuration that I need?

And about the riser usage, if you look at the product description and the comments, it's evident these are created and also actively bought and used for mining. I will try the BIOS update but yeah it's likely it's DOA.

bumblebee953

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
One thing I also realized is that since I have a Ryzen 5800X, all the PCIE slots on my mobo are PCIE4.0. I know if I use one of those regular risers with those fat cables, there are gen 3 and 4 compatibility considerations. But I wonder if it matters for these kind of risers.