[SOLVED] 3070 on monitor 1440p or 1080p?

Michalgnor

Reputable
Sep 7, 2019
Good evening, I am finally enjoying this expensive shopping in full.
My build satisfies me even if comparing peacefully here with you I could have bet on an i7 10700
rather than on the 9700k but it does nothing, I am fully satisfied.
All this because at the complete build instead of a 2060 I decided to make an effort and give myself a greater gift: the 3070.
You have no idea or maybe yes indeed better than me, I play very smoothly. I had never seen such a thing after years of console. On cod I do over 200 fps even though I don't actually see them
because the monitor I use reaches 60hz but I am really surprised. I'm happy to have joined this family of PCs better than consoles.
As you understand, I miss the icing, the monitor.
Now with the 3070 you have all indicated me a 2k monitor but in my experience I have a fear maybe even seeing fps from youtube videos.
But are you sure that with a 2k I do not lose the fluidity that I am witnessing with a full hd? because it is something wonderful. And I wouldn't want to miss all of this.
Asked the first question so I hope you can give me an answer.
When choosing the monitor I had already discussed with you here but the prices have changed so I'm undecided on these two:
1) https://www.amazon.it/LG-UltraGear-...05cf9979b5f14&language=it_IT&ref_=as_li_ss_tl
2)https://www.amazon.it/Acer-VG240YPb...o+VG240YPbiip&qid=1613569392&s=pc&sr=1-1&th=1

or do you think that for the future it is better to stay on a 1080p to have fluidity and excellent fps?
in this case which 1080p monitor and how many hz?

Solution
If you're currently on a 60Hz monitor then anything over 60 FPS is a waste. If a solid 60Hz looks good to you then you should DEFINITELY go for a good 1440p, 120/144Hz monitor.

Graphics settings usually give diminishing returns on overall quality the closer you get to the highest settings. Many times, the biggest improvement comes from going from low to med or med to high. Sometimes the difference between high and ultra high can only be seen in certain situations (e.g. the light has to be reflecting on the water at just the right angle to see a difference).

I'll take the difference in 1440p over 1080p vs. running everything at the absolute maximum graphics settings any day.
It really depends on what you can take as far as FPS. What it your 'too low' point?

I went from 1080p to 1440p several years ago and never looked back - even with the drop in FPS. Not only does the higher resolution produce 'crisper' images, but newer monitors are also brighter, have less bleed, darker darks, better color gamut, better response time, etc.

In short, I would definitely go with a 1440p, even with the loss in FPS. Of the two you listed I would go with the LG.

Reactions: Michalgnor

Michalgnor

Reputable
Sep 7, 2019
It really depends on what you can take as far as FPS. What it your 'too low' point?

I went from 1080p to 1440p several years ago and never looked back - even with the drop in FPS. Not only does the higher resolution produce 'crisper' images, but newer monitors are also brighter, have less bleed, darker darks, better color gamut, better response time, etc.

In short, I would definitely go with a 1440p, even with the loss in FPS. Of the two you listed I would go with the LG.
Oh I have no idea since it's the first time for me.
But in theory it all seemed very smooth on a 60hz monitor
so i guess i will have no problem switching to a 1440p.
I wanted to ask you if in some game high step instead of ultra to have more fps would be better?
In summary:
Is 1440p high better than 1080p ultra?

If you're currently on a 60Hz monitor then anything over 60 FPS is a waste. If a solid 60Hz looks good to you then you should DEFINITELY go for a good 1440p, 120/144Hz monitor.

Graphics settings usually give diminishing returns on overall quality the closer you get to the highest settings. Many times, the biggest improvement comes from going from low to med or med to high. Sometimes the difference between high and ultra high can only be seen in certain situations (e.g. the light has to be reflecting on the water at just the right angle to see a difference).

I'll take the difference in 1440p over 1080p vs. running everything at the absolute maximum graphics settings any day.

Last edited:
Solution
I totally agree with @alceryes . If I may also add, in case you are dissatisfied by the performance in 1440p (highly unlikely, you will love both the crispier image and the higher refresh rate), you can always use 1080p in the 1440p monitor and have the higher refresh rate as well.

I too swapped to 1440p/144hz 3 years ago and it was the best decision I made. Yes, I can't achieve 144 hz in every game, not even 100 at some, but whatever higher than 60hz for me makes a huge difference in fluidity so I never thought of going back to 60Hz. I currently have a three monitor setup and the other 2 are 1080p/60Hz. I did try using one for gaming and it looked awful, gruesome, lacking.