[SOLVED] 3070 or the 6800

Deathstrike1987

Prominent
Apr 10, 2019
hi im looking at getting one of the next gen cards is the 6800 worth the extra £100 or should i go for the rtx 3070? ill mainly be playing open world games and AAA titles my cpu is a 2600x so i shouldnt have a bottleneck and my psu is a corsair 1.2kw (yes you can ask why)

Solution
Well look at the video. I think all the games in that video have better average fps and no it's not a big difference but the 3070 is higher priced.

It will all come down to if you like AMD GPU's or Nvidia. Some people wouldn't care about the difference and buy a RTX 3070. Some people would not care about losing some more performance and they would go for a 3060TI which is cheaper than a 3070.

Deathstrike1987

Prominent
Apr 10, 2019
Hi Deathstrike.

If you don't mind not using Ray Tracing on a RX 6800 it is better at 4K than a RTX 3070.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBEzQ0HZKpg
hi thanks for the reply i dont mind about ray tracing i dont see much difference from ultra in some games to ray tracing but in the video you linked i only see a small difference in average is it the lows that are different and better fps in some parts?

Well look at the video. I think all the games in that video have better average fps and no it's not a big difference but the 3070 is higher priced.

It will all come down to if you like AMD GPU's or Nvidia. Some people wouldn't care about the difference and buy a RTX 3070. Some people would not care about losing some more performance and they would go for a 3060TI which is cheaper than a 3070.

Solution

Deathstrike1987

Prominent
Apr 10, 2019

sorry i just didnt notice a big difference it was mainly forza and fortnite that had a major difference otherwise it was a 1-5 fps difference the 6800 is a higher priced card so the 3070 is the better buy?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
RX 6800:
+Stronger rasterization performance
+More power efficient than Ampere is; this could boil down to the card pairing well with a greater variety of power supplies
+Larger Vram buffer could come in handy compared to the 3070's 8GB, depending on what you run
=RT performance is weak, but it is their first implementation of it after all
=Certain features aren't as user-friendly, but that's even if you have use of anything beyond just simple plug n play
-No DLSS alternative available... YET
-RT supported roster is limited

RTX 3070:
+Stronger RT performance
+DLSS 2.0
=Nvidia Reflex, Broadcast, Ansel, Nvenc Encoder have an edge over their AMD counterparts, but that's even if you have use of anything beyond just simple plug n play
-Weaker rasterization performance
-Power efficiency worse than Navi 21
-8GB Vram buffer likely to be lacking at 4K
-RT and DLSS supported roster is limited

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Deathstrike1987

Prominent
Apr 10, 2019
RX 6800:
+Stronger rasterization performance
+More power efficient than Ampere is; this could boil down to the card pairing well with a greater variety of power supplies
+Larger Vram buffer could come in handy compared to the 3070's 8GB, depending on what you run
=RT performance is weak, but it is their first implementation of it after all
=Certain features aren't as user-friendly, but that's even if you have use of anything beyond just simple plug n play
-No DLSS alternative available... YET
-RT supported roster is limited

RTX 3070:
+Stronger RT performance
+DLSS 2.0
=Nvidia Reflex, Broadcast, Ansel, Nvenc Encoder have an edge over their AMD counterparts, but that's even if you have use of anything beyond just simple plug n play
-Weaker rasterization performance
-Power efficiency worse than Navi 21
-8GB Vram buffer likely to be lacking at 4K
-RT and DLSS supported roster is limited

Hope this helps.
thanks so much also is amd implementing there version of DLSS i havnt heard much about it ?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
thanks would it be worth it to invest more money for the 6800 or wait to see what this fidelity fx is like ?
That's something only you can determine - I can't pick it for you.
The purpose of DLSS is more performance at the cost of image quality. The AI takes things - like shadows and edges - that players are less likely to notice during game play, and scales them down.
Basically, use it in titles where performance takes a dive. With the 3070, both RT and DLSS can be run together; they pretty much cover each other's backs... but that only applies in supported titles.

I'm looking at the RX 6800XT - RTX 3080, with favor towards the former:
-I don't care for RT in its current state; the performance hit is still too much, IMO.
-DLSS can offset that hit, but none of the games I currently play even support that feature anyway. A whole lot of good that does me...
-Even if I did play games that support it(RT), I see myself trying it out once or twice, and not bothering with it again. It's just not there yet with rasterization.
But alas, my favor for the RX 6800XT is dashed by AMD suffering from even worse supply woes than Nvidia. I have better odds of getting a 3080...
Well, it's not too terrible, since those 2 cards are very close in performance - that's not the case for you, as the RX 6800 does have a nice edge up over the 3070, as far as rasterization goes, at least.

Reactions: Deathstrike1987
D

Deleted member 2720853

Very happy with my 3070, but that's because I care about RT, DLSS and especially NVENC. And because my Zotac 2070 died leaving my PC unusable, leaving me no choice.

Also, I don't want to touch AMD GPUs yet because the drivers are still abysmal. They have yet to win me over. Maybe next time, AMD.

Choose AMD if you care about traditional performance, and NVIDIA if you care about RT, DLSS, good drivers, or the superior encoder at all.

Anyhoo, my next upgrade will probably be RTX 4000. Not going to bother with any other Ampere card. Hopefully they will have more than 8 GB of VRAM on high-end cards this time. 3060 having more VRAM than 3060 Ti is laughable...

Last edited by a moderator:

Deathstrike1987

Prominent
Apr 10, 2019
That's something only you can determine - I can't pick it for you.
The purpose of DLSS is more performance at the cost of image quality. The AI takes things - like shadows and edges - that players are less likely to notice during game play, and scales them down.
Basically, use it in titles where performance takes a dive. With the 3070, both RT and DLSS can be run together; they pretty much cover each other's backs... but that only applies in supported titles.

I'm looking at the RX 6800XT - RTX 3080, with favor towards the former:
-I don't care for RT in its current state; the performance hit is still too much, IMO.
-DLSS can offset that hit, but none of the games I currently play even support that feature anyway. A whole lot of good that does me...
-Even if I did play games that support it(RT), I see myself trying it out once or twice, and not bothering with it again. It's just not there yet with rasterization.
But alas, my favor for the RX 6800XT is dashed by AMD suffering from even worse supply woes than Nvidia. I have better odds of getting a 3080...
Well, it's not too terrible, since those 2 cards are very close in performance - that's not the case for you, as the RX 6800 does have a nice edge up over the 3070, as far as rasterization goes, at least.
Thanks alot I'm gonna go for the 6800 because I don't really care about dlss and RT my 4k makes up for it and 4k high settings with RT and dlss sounds like a FPS nightmare and with the larger vram I shouldn't be limited in 4k and my open world titles that are renown for sitting at 8gb of vram should have room to breath thanks so much for your help

Deathstrike1987

Prominent
Apr 10, 2019
Very happy with my 3070, but that's because I care about RT, DLSS and especially NVENC. And because my Zotac 2070 died leaving my PC unusable, leaving me no choice.

Also, I don't want to touch AMD GPUs yet because the drivers are still abysmal. They have yet to win me over. Maybe next time, AMD.

Choose AMD if you care about traditional performance, and NVIDIA if you care about RT, DLSS, good drivers, or the superior encoder at all.

Anyhoo, my next upgrade will probably be RTX 4000. Not going to bother with any other Ampere card. Hopefully they will have more than 8 GB of VRAM on high-end cards this time. 3060 having more VRAM than 3060 Ti is laughable...
I don't really care about dlss and RT not many of my games even support it the vram is a big problem so I'm gonna see what they do with the drivers and then get the 6800 thanks for your info

D

Deleted member 2720853

I don't really care about dlss and RT not many of my games even support it the vram is a big problem so I'm gonna see what they do with the drivers and then get the 6800 thanks for your info
Then get RX 6800.

I'd say they will do jack with the drivers, as usual.

Hope you have a good experience with them.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
3060 having more VRAM than 3060 Ti is laughable...
It's a straight up gimmick. The applications that extra 4GB would be even remotely useful for are niche, plus that card falls short(performance) because it's xx60.

dlss sounds like a FPS nightmare
It's not a nightmare. It yields more performance in titles that support it, but sacrifices minor visual details.

hi im looking at getting one of the next gen cards is the 6800 worth the extra £100 or should i go for the rtx 3070? ill mainly be playing open world games and AAA titles my cpu is a 2600x so i shouldnt have a bottleneck and my psu is a corsair 1.2kw (yes you can ask why)
I would just buy whichever one you can find in stock. Good luck.

Thanks alot I'm gonna go for the 6800 because I don't really care about dlss and RT my 4k makes up for it and 4k high settings with RT and dlss sounds like a FPS nightmare and with the larger vram I shouldn't be limited in 4k and my open world titles that are renown for sitting at 8gb of vram should have room to breath thanks so much for your help
Whether you made your final decision or not, I thought I'd share the video that got my excited for the possibilities of DLSS for future titles. This is half the reason I've decided to stick with Nvidia for my next GPU purchase, the other being far better Ray Tracing performance together with DLSS 2.0. It's still has a ways to go for graphics quality, but DLSS may play a more important roll in the future with more games getting support.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gQ202CFKzA

TRENDING THREADS