[SOLVED] 3070 Ti + 980 Ti can't run on same MB? Too much power draw for 850W?

leroyjenkins3000

Reputable
Jan 16, 2019
Hi all, been having some weird issues that I've slowly been figuring out in trying to upgrade one of my two 980 Ti's. Perhaps I'm wrong at the start, but I thought you could mismatch GPUs in the same motherboard, so in this case a 3070 Ti and 980 Ti running side by side. I do not need them to be bridged or SLI or whatever, these are used primarily for 3D rendering and honestly can really only afford to upgrade one card at a time, hence the mismatch. So if in the case I am an idiot and you can't mismatch please correct me immediately, other wise I'll dive into it as follows.

I had a whole host of issues getting a freshly installed NEW 3070 Ti to even be detected by Windows on a Supermicro X10DAX-O Motherboard. In this case, I found a helpful tip that I'll repeat here if you're just getting a black screen and no beeps with a new 3070 Ti you just put in:

1. Reset CMOS, aka power down PC, disconnect from power, power cycle with on button, unseat and reseat CMOS battery
  2. Reboot, but go straight into BIOS settings before it goes to Windows
  3. magical step, simply SAVE BIOS and exit
  4. whaaalaa, for me this actually got Windows to recognize a 3070 for some reason, as if it was loading some BIOS preset without understanding it had a GPU to detect

Right, so once I got that figured out and drivers updated, I have the 3070 Ti successfully working in my system as a baseline. Then moving on to figure out if I really can't get the 980 to play nice in tandem (and when I say tandem I don't mean SLI or bridging, just two cards co existing). At first I thought the 3070 Ti was very picky and HAD to be in primary PCI slot 1, but found out it's fine in any slot so long as it's the only GPU on the board. I crossed checked all the PSU cables and connectors with the 3070 solo as well as my old 980 TI solo, and both work independently as expected. So no cable issues it seems.

But when I try and get both running side by side (PCI Slot 1 and 2 or vice versa), I get the black screen, 8 beeps (graphics error code?) and that's it. Cards are powered on and spinning, but motherboard seems to alert that there's a graphic problem. I have a Corsair RMx RM850X 850W Power Supply PSU, which was running dual 980 Ti's with no issue before all of this began, and correct me if I'm wrong but I really thought it could handle a 3070 Ti + 980 Ti? I've read some people even do dual 3070's with less PSU wattage than that?

My next course of action would be to get a beefier PSU...but I came here to confirm I'm not missing something very obvious. Seems weird that 850W wouldn't be enough, and the 8 beeps thing doesn't seem like a power issue but more like the two cards are fighting for priority or something? I also need to buy some Display Port adapters as I am all HDMI right now - but I did read that sometimes the 3070s act up if you don't use Display Port as primary initially. So there's that too.

Solution
Well, answer ended up being related to resetting BIOS via the CMOS battery. I had a lot of settings that got reset and Above 4G Coding or whatever was one that got disabled, just re-enabled that and now any combinations of GPUs show up in Windows and display output.

leroyjenkins3000

Reputable
Jan 16, 2019
Well, answer ended up being related to resetting BIOS via the CMOS battery. I had a lot of settings that got reset and Above 4G Coding or whatever was one that got disabled, just re-enabled that and now any combinations of GPUs show up in Windows and display output.

Solution