[SOLVED] 3070 Ti low usage ?

leonidasvasiliadis

Reputable
Nov 22, 2018
I replaced my 1070 ti and still working fine with 3070 ti. In battlefield V and Warzone that are CPU demanding games in the menu the card runs at 97% because they have animations but while i jump into the game the gpu usage drops to 60-70%, as i set the graphics higher performs well, if i set to medium they are unplayable. I tried other single player games like Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Tomb Rider and Metro Exodus at maximum settings and runs nice and smooth with high fps.
I have to mention that in single player of Battlefield V still the card has low gpu usage. Msi afterburner shows that the card draws 50% power. I have set all power modes in windows and nvidia panel at maximum.
Pc specs :CPU Ryzen 3600, Ram ripjaws g skill at 3200, GPU 3070 ti, MOBO MSI X470 (updated),PSU EVGA 750 G2.
Please HELP!!!!

Solution
Yes i did it with DDU. It is just a bottleneck, i realized yesterday that when i m scoping with a sniper at Battlefield V the CPU usage drops and GPU immediately goes to 90%+... So this is on CPU 100% .
So if anyone reads this DO NOT buy a 3070ti for 1080p gaming!!!! At higher resolutions works a bit better but you definitely need a better CPU.

Multiplayer games are always harder on the CPU. Its not a surprise that your CPU have to work more at 1080p competitive graphic settings.

I was able to play BTF V campaing with my old GTX 1060 (which was always around 96% usage). In MP the card was doing about the same 96% usage.

I can only imagine that your RTX 3070TI which is several times faster/much powerfull than my old GPU, and...
Hey there,

When you say you set your windows power profiles, did you enable the high performance power plan, or change an existing power plan?

Either way, try this: Open powershell, and paste this : powercfg -duplicatescheme 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c

press enter

Then select the plan, and try again. Let us know how that goes.

Reactions: Diflexster12

leonidasvasiliadis

Reputable
Nov 22, 2018
Hey there,

When you say you set your windows power profiles, did you enable the high performance power plan, or change an existing power plan?

Either way, try this: Open powershell, and paste this : powercfg -duplicatescheme 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c

press enter

Then select the plan, and try again. Let us know how that goes.
ok i did that and now keeps the power plan to high even after a restart. I noticed that the GPU usage drops when the CPU usage goes to 80-90% in game, at the menu is about 65-77% and the card is at 98%. Is it possible to be a bottleneck?

leonidasvasiliadis

Reputable
Nov 22, 2018
Did you removed the old GTX 1070TI driver, and donwloaded and installed the newest one from nvidia for the RTX 3070TI?
Yes i did it with DDU. It is just a bottleneck, i realized yesterday that when i m scoping with a sniper at Battlefield V the CPU usage drops and GPU immediately goes to 90%+... So this is on CPU 100% .
So if anyone reads this DO NOT buy a 3070ti for 1080p gaming!!!! At higher resolutions works a bit better but you definitely need a better CPU.

Multiplayer games are always harder on the CPU. Its not a surprise that your CPU have to work more at 1080p competitive graphic settings.

I was able to play BTF V campaing with my old GTX 1060 (which was always around 96% usage). In MP the card was doing about the same 96% usage.

I can only imagine that your RTX 3070TI which is several times faster/much powerfull than my old GPU, and thus it does not need to work that much to keep 1080p multiplayer gaming with a R5 3600.

In any case are you getting low FPS?, or just not as high as you would expected?

Last edited:
Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Solution
Did you removed the old GTX 1070TI driver, and donwloaded and installed the newest one from nvidia for the RTX 3070TI?
Yes, of course. In the game menu, GPU usage will be lower. In some games, even at full gaming the load, may not maintain 98-100 percent consistently.

Whilst this might be true in your case, not everyone will have such problems. But yes, the 3070ti is a 1440p behemoth. Pushing higher res will push the card more. A stronger CPU will push your card further, and possibly always peg it at 98%+ usage even at 1080p.

Reactions: leonidasvasiliadis

leonidasvasiliadis

Reputable
Nov 22, 2018

I can only imagine that your RTX 3070TI which is several times faster/much powerfull than my old GPU, and thus it does not need to work that much to keep 1080p multiplayer gaming with a R5 3600.

In any case are you getting low FPS?, or just not as high as you would expected?
I was getting more fps than 1070ti. Now i ve bought a 1440p and the 5600x and works fine. In BFV at High settings i get 140fps average,depends on the map because sometimes i have 160-170 which is quite impressive for me.

Reactions: RodroX

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
If you have just the single "CPU Usage" ticked in your OSD you should really tick the boxes for every CPU core, physical+logical. I had this same confusion with my 3080 in a few games and did not realize I was CPU bound because the CPU Usage would show only around 65% and my fancy new GPU was only at about 70%.
As it turns out with all 12 cores listed I could see that one single core would often be pegged at 100% or near it while most others were in the 30-40% usage range. So the "CPU Usage" shows the TOTAL usage of your cpu but per core might be a whole different story.
Depending on the game it my be leaning too much on one or two cores effectively bottle necking your GPU by not being able to utilize more of the cores efficiently.