[SOLVED] 3070 TI running out of VRAM?

ricoex

Honorable
Mar 24, 2016
I have a RTX 3070 TI founders edition.
I gaming at 3840x2160(4K) with low settings ingame.

recently my PC slowed down to where the mouse was barely moveable,i closed all games and OBS and restarted PC.2nd time this happened before i could restart i got a blue screen.

I was streaming for 2hour first time and 5hours 30minutes second time. First time it happened i was playing Squad,2nd time i was playing Tarkov.

I use NVENC for OBS settings and im feeling like i may be running out of VRAM and this is causing this issue? anyone else game with current cards at 4K and have things like this happening? could it be a bug with OBS or maybe windows 11?

OBS settings were NVENC simple,1920x1080 30fps output 6000 bitrate.

all very low settings in both games.

Ive never had issues with streaming and gaming ever on my system,its recently i got this GPU and started 4K gaming.

i find it weird that i could stream for 5 and a half hours before an issue happened aswell.

Solution
That's not what VRAM is for. VRAM will be filled with textures and objects for the game you are currently running. When it runs out, the game just unloads something it isn't using and frees up space. A Founder's Edition has 8GB VRAM so will not be struggling for space for textures, even at 4K.

Gaming at 4K then down-sampling the resolution to 1080p for streaming must be very hard work for your poor PC.

At a guess, OBS gets itself into a doom loop trying to down-sample 4K video and sucks up all available resource before crashing your PC. You might be running out of regular RAM, but that's a symptom of the issue not the cause.

I would switch down to 1080p for gaming. At that resolution you could put graphics settings up to Max on...

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
That's not what VRAM is for. VRAM will be filled with textures and objects for the game you are currently running. When it runs out, the game just unloads something it isn't using and frees up space. A Founder's Edition has 8GB VRAM so will not be struggling for space for textures, even at 4K.

Gaming at 4K then down-sampling the resolution to 1080p for streaming must be very hard work for your poor PC.

At a guess, OBS gets itself into a doom loop trying to down-sample 4K video and sucks up all available resource before crashing your PC. You might be running out of regular RAM, but that's a symptom of the issue not the cause.

I would switch down to 1080p for gaming. At that resolution you could put graphics settings up to Max on that card, which would look much better than 4K at Low settings, and that resolution would require much less work for OBS to stream.

It's unclear if you're already using the StreamLabs verison of OBS (SLOBS), which is more stable than vanilla OBS. You try SLOBS or Wirecast as more stable software packages.

Solution

ricoex

Honorable
Mar 24, 2016
yeah ive been using my 1080p monitor for a few days now and no issues at all.Should i output scale to 720p while gaming at 1080p? not worried about visual quality more about whats gonna be less of a resource hog.going off what u said about dowscaling from 4K im just wondering whats better at 1080p.

just for info sakes here is my system specs
Ryzen 5 2600
16GBRAM
3070ti
SSD and HDD,OBS is on HDD

i also read somewhere that when GPU "runs out" of VRAM it offloads it to RAM and can cause something like this.Thanks for your help btw makes sense.

ricoex

Honorable
Mar 24, 2016
I only stream to get random clips of cool stuff that happens for me and my friends.Would using the instant replay function of GeForceExperiance be a better option for me? like would it be less of a chance my RAM or VRAM overflows etc? ive stayed away from it because i feel like its bad for my SSD to have this funtion on but could you explain the pros/cons of this feature.i just dont want my system to crash or flood my RAM etc.

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
The instant replay function is pretty great, it records a constant stream of your gameplay and if it detects that you died or got a kill or whatever it auto-saves a clip, you can also assign a button to save a clip.

since it saves an HD video stream the whole time it’s active, it does write to your SSD, yes, and most of those writes are thrown away since the stream isn’t saved.

this drives the “I mustn’t hurt my poor SSD” crowd absolutely WILD with rage. They truly believe that writing to your SSD is edging it ever closer to death, so they absolutely hate the idea of something recording video the whole time you’re playing a game. So yeah, I’m not surprised you’ve read negative stuff about using it on SSD.

Whereas in fact, SSD is the best place for your GeForce instant replay cache. It writes rapidly and can create the clips super fast, you don’t even notice it’s running most of the time.

And no, it doesn’t hurt your SSD at all.

if the only reason you’re streaming is so you can save cool clips, then try it out, it’s way less demanding than OBS or whatever, and the automatic clipping works really well in a lot of games.

InvalidError

Titan
this drives the “I mustn’t hurt my poor SSD” crowd absolutely WILD with rage. They truly believe that writing to your SSD is edging it ever closer to death
And it really does since SSD do have finite endurance, though it'll take ~80 000 hours to burn through 250TBW at 6Mbps. Chances are that the whole computer including the SSD(s) will be upgraded long before that even if streaming 24/7.