[SOLVED] 3070 vs 3060 Ti

MxzsyXII

Reputable
Feb 6, 2017
The RTX 3070 and 3060 Ti both have the GA104 chip except the one in the 3060 is cut down with 1024 less Cuda cores, which is just over a 17% difference, and 8 less RT cores.

From benchmarks I've seen, the 3060 Ti is usually only 5 to 10 FPS behind the 3070. Is there any reason that warrants spending £100 more for a 3070?

And this brings me to my main question; with driver and game optimisations, will the extra 1024 CUDA cores prove to be useful in the future, ie will the gap between them increase?

Last edited:
Solution
If it was my money, I'd buy the 3070. Why? Because while the 3060 Ti might be great at 1440p right now, as games get more demanding it's performance at 1440p averaged across games will go down and I'll have to upgrade sooner than if I had bought a RTX 3070. And then there's always the outlier like Metro Exodus, Cyberpunk, and Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020, games that push your GPU hard and that having an extra 15% more frames is a big deal. $100 on the other hand is not a big deal to me.

Also, don't forget that pretty much all the available RTX 3000 series GPUs are overpriced right now, so it's not like any of them are a great value...

Just my 2 cents

MxzsyXII

Reputable
Feb 6, 2017
Well, what are your specs? What resolution are you going to play?
I've got a Ryzen 2600 right now, waiting for 5600x stock
Currently playing at 1080p but I will be moving to 1440p eventually, I feel 4k is unnecessary. But the original post is more of a general question, not really about my specs in specific

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
The RTX 3070 and 3060 Ti both have the GA104 chip except the one in the 3060 is cut down with 1024 less Cuda cores, which is just over a 17% difference, and 8 less RT cores.

From benchmarks I've seen, the 3060 Ti is usually only 5 to 10 FPS behind the 3070. Is there any reason that warrants spending £100 more for a 3070?

And this brings me to my main question; with driver and game optimisations, with the extra 1024 CUDA cores prove to be useful in the future, ie will the gap between them increase?
I would buy either one you can find for sell first if your in the market for a new card.

I've got a Ryzen 2600 right now, waiting for 5600x stock
Currently playing at 1080p but I will be moving to 1440p eventually, I feel 4k is unnecessary. But the original post is more of a general question, not really about my specs in specific
The 3060 Ti FE averaged 110 FPS @ 1440p and the 3070 FE averaged 121 FPS.

RWja8eihbHTK2RrFPL6FpK-970-80.png

If it was my money, I'd buy the 3070. Why? Because while the 3060 Ti might be great at 1440p right now, as games get more demanding it's performance at 1440p averaged across games will go down and I'll have to upgrade sooner than if I had bought a RTX 3070. And then there's always the outlier like Metro Exodus, Cyberpunk, and Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020, games that push your GPU hard and that having an extra 15% more frames is a big deal. $100 on the other hand is not a big deal to me.

Also, don't forget that pretty much all the available RTX 3000 series GPUs are overpriced right now, so it's not like any of them are a great value...

Just my 2 cents

Solution

InvalidError

Titan
If it was my money, I'd buy the 3070. Why? Because while the 3060 Ti might be great at 1440p right now, as games get more demanding it's performance at 1440p averaged across games will go down
If frame rates dip below the minimum acceptable to you, there is always the option of nudging some details down to bump frame rates up. Blanket "good enough now, not quite so later" assumes OP has a mortal fear of lowering details where necessary.

Personally, I go with whatever delivers the greatest bang per buck within my budget and if that means having to nuke details in some future games, then so be it.

If frame rates dip below the minimum acceptable to you, there is always the option of nudging some details down to bump frame rates up. Blanket "good enough now, not quite so later" assumes OP has a mortal fear of lowering details where necessary.

Personally, I go with whatever delivers the greatest bang per buck within my budget and if that means having to nuke details in some future games, then so be it.

Exactly, I dislike lowering details to accommodate slow hardware, hence my reasoning. I'm not sure how much of a priority it is for the OP, so I was just explaining how I would go about making this kind of decision. Of course, it's his choice.