Question 3070ti not working after one month

Oct 2, 2022
Hey there, first time poster

I've recently run into an issue where out of the two graphics cards I've put into my PC both have stopped functioning after a month. The previous card was a 3080ti and was second hand which made me think it was a dud. However my recently purchased 3070ti has now stopped working and the VGA led indicator on my motherboard is going off. I've tried using the 3070ti in another PC which seems to run GTA V fine however the fans don't function at all. I'm really stumped on this one.

Specs:
  • Gigabyte Vision 3070ti
  • Asus Prime X-570 pro
  • AMD 5900x
  • 4x Corsair Revengaence Pro DDR4 8G
  • Asus Rog 750 w PSU (secondhand)

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Asus Rog 750 w PSU (secondhand)
That might very well be your issue. You're advised to work with a 1KW or higher wattage, reliably built PSU to power an RTX3000 series card due to transient load spikes. A second hand unit will most definitely be outputting less power than advertised.

Reactions: pazanii

KyaraM

Admirable
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Asus Rog 750 w PSU (secondhand)
That might very well be your issue. You're advised to work with a 1KW or higher wattage, reliably built PSU to power an RTX3000 series card due to transient load spikes. A second hand unit will most definitely be outputting less power than advertised.
I'm sorry, but that is not correct. A quality 750W PSU is more than fine for a 3070Ti, it's not spiking that high. My system barely even uses 400W in heavy games, and as shown below, transients on a 3070Ti are nowhere bad enough to need a 1200W unit.

Great thanks for the heads up, just bought a Corsair 1200w.
I'm sorry I didn't get to you earlier. My 3070Ti works 100% fine in any and all circumstances on a BeQuiet! Straight Power 750W PSU.

https://www.igorslab.de/en/nvidia-g...st-the-whole-big-brother-of-little-hunger/10/

In this article they actually measured the transients on this card. All things considered, your system should never exceed 700W even during a transcient spike, so a new, quality 750W PSU would have been enough. 1200W are completely overblown and, frankly, too much money spent unless you know you will upgrade very soon, which it doesn't sound like you would. Your issue was likely the "second hand" part rather than the capacity part.

(Edited for spelling mistakes)

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2022
I still bought the 1200w just to stupidly future proof myself. In the end it turned out to be a dead PCIE slot. The old PSU was from someone who shorted their system. however the PSU seemed to be intact and functioning normally. I'm sort of guessing but I think the PSU led to the dead PCIE. Although rare I think that's the case as my motherboard was brand new.