[SOLVED] 3080 Afterburner Overclock Question

haydenr34

Prominent
Jan 9, 2021
So I wanted to try and overclock my 3080 gpu to see if I could get some more performance, having never touched any kind of overclocking before. I have zero experience and am a total noob.

https://www.msi.com/blog/get-a-free-performance-boost-with-afterburner-oc-scanner - I was following the guide on this website and did everything it said, however my scanner page looks entirely different to the screenshots attached on the guide at the bottom.

As you can see, compare the two. Mine has no information basically, what am I doing wrong or is something wrong with my card?

GADrWb5.png

Solution
In the non-OC mode my 3080Ti is settling between 1950 and 1965Mhz. Plenty fast, given all the instability issues people have over 2000Mhz. My old GTX1080 I believe I had added a ~120Mhz overclock and added only something like 200 Mhz to the memory (from 5000)

Overclocking kind of lost its appeal. I just buy a waterblock, spend a few minutes with the settings, and call it good. CPUs the same way, even bought a locked processor. Still boosts to 5.2 Ghz. Old CPU had a high overclock on it, up to 5Ghz...These last few generations from Intel and AMD, you just turn off power limits or turn on PBO and pretty much as good as it gets.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I suppose it depends on what the maximum boost clock the GPU was already getting to. RTX 30 series cards have difficulties going above 2000Mhz, memory is basically already overclocked, so not surprising there isn't much wiggle room. 3090 only has 500MT/s over the 3080 class cards. Now if they mean 200Mhz, then that likely means 400MT/s gain, which is close to that 19500 mark.

Also noting that you are running into a power limit. If you have, then the card is just limited to that maximum power output. More would be needed to keep it stable at higher frequencies.

Reactions: haydenr34

haydenr34

Prominent
Jan 9, 2021
I suppose it depends on what the maximum boost clock the GPU was already getting to. RTX 30 series cards have difficulties going above 2000Mhz, memory is basically already overclocked, so not surprising there isn't much wiggle room. 3090 only has 500MT/s over the 3080 class cards. Now if they mean 200Mhz, then that likely means 400MT/s gain, which is close to that 19500 mark.

Also noting that you are running into a power limit. If you have, then the card is just limited to that maximum power output. More would be needed to keep it stable at higher frequencies.

This is my full build if it helps provide any more information or insight?

Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64bit OEM DVD
Intel Core i9 10900K Processor
MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X 10GB
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz CL18 DDR4
NZXT Kraken Z63 280mm AIO Liquid CPU Cooler
Seagate Barracuda 2TB ST2000DM008 3.5in Hard Drive
NZXT Aer RGB 2 Fan 120mm
Phanteks Revolt Pro Full Modular Gold 850W Power Supply
Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe SSD 1TB
MSI MAG Z490 Tomahawk Motherboard
Samsung 870 QVO 2.5in SATA SSD 2TB
NZXT H510 Elite RGB Mid Tower Case Matte Black/Black

The RTX line basically overclocks itself, as long as it has the power and stays cool it will boost as fast as it can. Unless your trying to get high scores on bench marks there's not any real reason to push the card any more.

I can OC my 2080 Ti +125 on the core and +1700 on the memory, it looks good on benchmarks but cant really tell the difference in games. The the little FPS counter in the corner shows its doing more FPS but for me i cant tell.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
In the non-OC mode my 3080Ti is settling between 1950 and 1965Mhz. Plenty fast, given all the instability issues people have over 2000Mhz. My old GTX1080 I believe I had added a ~120Mhz overclock and added only something like 200 Mhz to the memory (from 5000)

Overclocking kind of lost its appeal. I just buy a waterblock, spend a few minutes with the settings, and call it good. CPUs the same way, even bought a locked processor. Still boosts to 5.2 Ghz. Old CPU had a high overclock on it, up to 5Ghz...These last few generations from Intel and AMD, you just turn off power limits or turn on PBO and pretty much as good as it gets.

Solution