Question 3080 Cooling Help

mineshotjordan

Honorable
Sep 15, 2017
Hi,

Always read posts when it comes to PC assistance but can't seem to figure out why my GPU Constantly runs hot even with an undervolt.

Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken Z3
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3080 10GB 10 GB SUPRIM X Video Card
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL 215 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Cooler Master V850 SFX 850 W 80+ Gold Certified

Cooling:
3 x 120MM Fans on the AIO Cooler which is mounted on the front of my case as Intake
2 x 120MM Fans on top of the case as Exhaust
1 x 120MM Fan as Exhaust on the back of the case

In NZXT Cam I have both the PUMP and Fan set too Performance, the other fans I'm 100% are set to exhaust air out the top and back.

Idle and Gaming Temps:

Idle: 44-46 Degrees Celsius
Full load: 80-83 Which then kicks thermal throttling in.

Summary:

Stock settings within the PC without the undervolt keep jumping to 83 then causing the thermal throttle to kick in when under load for 30 or so minutes, so I learnt how to undervolt the max I could do was .906 at 1920 MHZ Boost which then drops to 1905 MHZ.

I put in both exhaust fans earlier today on the top part of my pc to expect better thermals but it still runs hot to the touch and I have no idea why.

I have also noticed when finishing playing a game, it continues to clock at 1905 MHz and not come down from that till I restart my PC.

Last edited:
Lian Li LANCOOL 215
is this a solid front panel or mesh?
Idle: 44-46 Degrees Celsius
Full load: 80-83 Which then kicks thermal throttling in.
the RTX 3000 series is known to idle a bit warmer than most of us may have been used to but reaching 80s ingame is a bit hotter than i'd ever like to see.

if possible i would try mounting another high airflow fan directly in the bottom of the case to add some more direct cool air intake into the GPU.
you may need to remove any modular panels or drives mounted in this area.
it helped with lowering my 3080 Ti temp ~10-15°C;
from mid 40s idle / high 60s-low 70s in intensive games
to mid 30s idle / high 50s ingame.

Reactions: mineshotjordan

mineshotjordan

Honorable
Sep 15, 2017
is this a solid front panel or mesh?

the RTX 3000 series is known to idle a bit warmer than most of us may have been used to but reaching 80s ingame is a bit hotter than i'd ever like to see.

if possible i would try mounting another high airflow fan directly in the bottom of the case to add some more direct cool air intake into the GPU.
you may need to remove any modular panels or drives mounted in this area.
it helped with lowering my 3080 Ti temp ~10-15°C;
from mid 40s idle / high 60s-low 70s in intensive games
to mid 30s idle / high 50s ingame.

It's a Mesh front Panel, there is a big box at the bottom of the case, should I add a intake fan on the ventilation above this? Right below the 3080?

should I add a intake fan on the ventilation above this? Right below the 3080?
if there is an option for fan mounting on the floor of the case i would add it there(similar to the setup shown in my signature's "Spoiler: Cooling" image).
if not, try it on the PSU shroud.

if there are drive trays or other obstructions in the way you would want to remove these and mount any drives elsewhere like behind the motherboard tray if possible.

mineshotjordan

Honorable
Sep 15, 2017
if there is an option for fan mounting on the floor of the case i would add it there(similar to the setup shown in my signature's "Spoiler: Cooling" image).
if not, try it on the PSU shroud.

if there are drive trays or other obstructions in the way you would want to remove these and mount any drives elsewhere like behind the motherboard tray if possible.

Hi, removed the Hard Disk bracket, and Metal panels on the back side of the motherboard and I think it reduced total temps by 1-2 °C .

The open vent at the bottom is covered mostly by the PSU so I can't add an additional fan there as intake, Is there anything I'm missing? As you mentioned earlier about adding a fan to the PSU Shroud on top. I don't think that would work as mentioned the Vent is mostly covered by the PSU. I feel like I'm missing something entirely in terms of airflow.

Are there any configurations Im doing wrong with my setup? As the front three fans are connected to my AIO Cooler's radiator and are set to intake.

Thanks again.

open vent at the bottom is covered mostly by the PSU...

adding a fan to the PSU Shroud on top. I don't think that would work as mentioned the Vent is mostly covered by the PSU
unless your V850 is abnormally long it shouldn't cover the front bottom vents, only the rear and possibly some of the middle.
is it just cables sticking out some over the very front bottom or is the unit itself actually in the way of all available vents?

in regards to the PSU shroud the middle vent being slightly covered underneath shouldn't be a big deal anyway.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Mount the radiator to the case first, then mount the fans as intake, on the inside, on the back of the radiator.

There's 2 specs of importance with fans. Static Pressure and CFM. CFM is the volume of air moved, SP is the force behind that moved air.

Rads have a very bad habit of killing SP. Doesn't affect CFM, you'll still get the same volume of air, but with the amount of restriction a rad provides, the air coming out the back has lost enough force, SP, that it really goes nowhere. It just sort of drifts up towards the low pressure area created by the exhaust. Bypassing most of the draw from the gpu fans.

By putting the fans as Pull instead of Push orientation, the fans will pull the air through the rad instead of pushing it through. The flip side being the fan exhaust is now unrestricted and the full amount of SP is applied to shoving air at the gpu.

mineshotjordan

Honorable
Sep 15, 2017
Mount the radiator to the case first, then mount the fans as intake, on the inside, on the back of the radiator.

There's 2 specs of importance with fans. Static Pressure and CFM. CFM is the volume of air moved, SP is the force behind that moved air.

Rads have a very bad habit of killing SP. Doesn't affect CFM, you'll still get the same volume of air, but with the amount of restriction a rad provides, the air coming out the back has lost enough force, SP, that it really goes nowhere. It just sort of drifts up towards the low pressure area created by the exhaust. Bypassing most of the draw from the gpu fans.

By putting the fans as Pull instead of Push orientation, the fans will pull the air through the rad instead of pushing it through. The flip side being the fan exhaust is now unrestricted and the full amount of SP is applied to shoving air at the gpu.

Hey guys,

Idle temps are 40-45, but under full load the temps have now dropped from 80-83 too 69-72 max which is a big improvement for me and one I'm comfortable with. After looking and cleaning certain parts of the PC (As I bought this from a seller a couple weeks ago) , Unless I have the wrong case listed the Vent at the bottom only covers about 45% of the bottom of the case then is fully closed just enough to fit the PSU and maybe push in a 120MM Fan if I really try. I set an optimal fan curve and swapped around the radiator and this seems to have dropped temps for me quite a bit. Thanks again to you both!

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost