[SOLVED] 3080 EVGA FTW3 Ultra Gaming card reaching 80c easily on less intensive games

TheKittenSlay3r

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2014
I got my 3080 today and for some reference so far the only two games I've played on it are classic wow and minecraft with a ray traced 4k pack (which would only run at 1fps don't know why) However when playing wow I noticed my GPU was climing to 80c in classic wow, a game from 2005 and the temperature would continue to climb. With my investigation I found my airflow from my previous 1080 wasn't cutting it here so I changed up my airflow and got it to idle at around 28-32 C outside of games. When playing a game the load really starts pumping up to the point where I have to use GPU tweaker to crank the fans up to 60-90% to get my operating temps back down to 70c, is this normal and if so what's the optimal/average temperatures I should be at?

Juffbox

Reputable
Apr 4, 2020
I got my 3080 today and for some reference so far the only two games I've played on it are classic wow and minecraft with a ray traced 4k pack (which would only run at 1fps don't know why) However when playing wow I noticed my GPU was climing to 80c in classic wow, a game from 2005 and the temperature would continue to climb. With my investigation I found my airflow from my previous 1080 wasn't cutting it here so I changed up my airflow and got it to idle at around 28-32 C outside of games. When playing a game the load really starts pumping up to the point where I have to use GPU tweaker to crank the fans up to 60-90% to get my operating temps back down to 70c, is this normal and if so what's the optimal/average temperatures I should be at?

I had a similar problem when I was using an NZXT H510 case. The heat was getting trapped inside the case and the exhaust fans were too slow to eject it. After I switched to an airflow focused case, temps have gone down significantly, from 80C down to 72C. You could be facing a situation similar to what I had.