[SOLVED] 3080 FE UnderVolt Crash

May 2, 2020
Hi guys any experts here able to offer some advice

Background: The 3080 is my first ever GPU and I have limited knowledge around hardware, only the info I have retained from watching hours of Youtube vids.

I have attempted to undervolt my 3080 FE and had some crashes when playing Cyberpunk and Assassins Creed Valhalla. The settings I have gone with are as follows:
Dropped Core Clock (-270) on main screen
After Ctrl + J set 1905 MHz at 925 mV

Any advice on what I can do to improve stability would be greatly appreciated.

Just to add my starting frequency of the curve starts at stock 1200 MHz. Is this normal? From a video from Youtube their base clock when setting a curve was higher.

Solution
The only reasons to undervolt a gpu are if it's used for mining, in which case you can omit any need for graphics output stages of the card, and if the card has overheat issues in which case you'll also need to turn down the detail settings to compensate for the loss of power to the cores.

Other than that, everything inside a pc is designed to run stable at stock speeds. Overclocking/undervolting etc is a change from stock and kiss any guarantees of stability buh bye.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you have a gpu that needs a lot of power and then you are playing a game that needs every bit of that power. so can you see why starving it of that needed power will have negative effects?

you are much better off letting it run at stock settings and not trying to get fancy with it. especially if your only knowledge is from youtube which is not exactly known for its dedication to reality. there are plenty of places to get all kinds of knowledge and i'd put youtube about 1/4 of a step higher than facebook. they will both make you dumber the longer you spend on the platform and most of what you see is not going to be truthful or a good idea to try.

there are a hundred threads a day here that start with "i was watching a youtube video" and end with "now my pc does not work, please help"

do yourself a favor and reset it back to defaults while you learn more about it. then once you actually know what you are doing and can do it without any help from youtube, then you can try your hand at some custom config.

Last edited:
Reactions: Karadjgne
May 2, 2020
Thanks for your reply. I did think that it may be a situation where the games I was playing were in need of all of the available power, thanks for clearing that up.

Yes I take most of what I see on Youtube with a pinch of salt. The viseo I was watching was from Wccftech who I believed would be a reputable source of information.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The only reasons to undervolt a gpu are if it's used for mining, in which case you can omit any need for graphics output stages of the card, and if the card has overheat issues in which case you'll also need to turn down the detail settings to compensate for the loss of power to the cores.

Other than that, everything inside a pc is designed to run stable at stock speeds. Overclocking/undervolting etc is a change from stock and kiss any guarantees of stability buh bye.

Solution

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks for your reply. I did think that it may be a situation where the games I was playing were in need of all of the available power, thanks for clearing that up.

Yes I take most of what I see on Youtube with a pinch of salt. The viseo I was watching was from Wccftech who I believed would be a reputable source of information.

i've not seen any of their videos, but i know their "news" is less than trustworthy. they are fun to read current rumor mill type stuff but that's about it. i prefer to read rather than watch videos so i admit i am not well versed in who actually makes quality videos to watch. some others may be able to point you to some videos worth watching.