Reputable
Oct 30, 2018
Build
ASUS - ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING (Socket LGA1151) USB 3.1 Gen 1 Intel Motherboard
I7 - 9700k
RTX 3080
850W Platinum PSU
Ram 32gb 3000mhz Corsair Vengeance

I was playing overwatch with 3 other friends the other day. They asked what FPS we were getting. I look up and see 95fps. I never really paid attention to it. They all start naming off around the same FPS or even higher. I assumed I was playing on a higher setting as I was on ultra but have a better card than them. But they were on the same exact settings. One has a 2070 super, another a 1070, and the last one is using like an AMD 590 playing on "epic" settings which is higher than ultra and was getting around 10 FPS lower than me.

I'm playing on 1440p, 27 inch monitor. 3 others doing the same. So I do some google searches and people are considering "low fps" on over watch with my build like 200-250fps. I'm over here getting 95? I know there are countless things that could be the culprit here. But I was wondering if any of you smart people could give me some stuff to trouble shoot first? I have a 144hz monitor, so getting 300fps doesn't even matter. But at the same time I want to know if I have something going on that is halting the performance of this card from its full potential.

When installing the new card that was replacing my 1080ti, I completely delayed all Nvidia drivers and installed all new drivers to make sure there would be no issues with the new card as I read that could cause issues. I also read there is a place in GE Experience or NVidia control panel that might have the GPU performance maxed at 50%. I looked around and didn't see that anywhere. Is this really a thing? Any help is appreciated!

Solution
Are all the monitors the same Dell 27"? I couldn't find the manual for your specific monitor, but if DGR is similar to DG then the display port is the only one that supports the 144. Might have something to do with display cable version. Apparently 2.0 is the only type that is able to do two monitors with 144 at 4K.

The Idiot

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2013
Last edited:

wharris1985

Reputable
Oct 30, 2018
A lot of times the rate listened is only for specific display settings, which are usually under 4K. With fps games online you usually want to keep the graphic settings on low, so maybe try that to see if you get a boost in frames. You could try looking at this to see if it helps with increasing your fps https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.en...a-geforce-drivers-framerate-cap-ces-2020.html
The monitor is 144hz. Seems that should be easily doable on ultra 1440p with a 3080. Maybe I'm clueless.

The Idiot

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2013
What is the monitor brand name? What type of cable are you using to connect the gpu? Sometimes only a specific port on the monitor will let you use the higher fps, or the requirement might be an updated version of a cable type.

Last edited:

wharris1985

Reputable
Oct 30, 2018
What is the monitor brand name? What type of cable are you using to connect the gpu? Sometimes only a specific port on the monitor will let you use the higher fps, or the requirement might be an updated version of a cable type.
Dell 27" LED QHD G-Sync Monitor S2716DGR - I'm using a Display Port Cable for this monitor. I have 2 other monitors connected to the PC. I have checked the settings to make sure the monitor is set for 144hz as this is the max the monitor supports.

The Idiot

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2013
Are all the monitors the same Dell 27"? I couldn't find the manual for your specific monitor, but if DGR is similar to DG then the display port is the only one that supports the 144. Might have something to do with display cable version. Apparently 2.0 is the only type that is able to do two monitors with 144 at 4K.

Solution