[SOLVED] 3080 in a PCI-e Gen 3 slot?

Jul 11, 2020
I just noticed the new Nvidia 30 series are PCI-e Gen 4, wondering if anyone knows how they would perform in a gen 3 motherboard?

Solution
I just noticed the new Nvidia 30 series are PCI-e Gen 4, wondering if anyone knows how they would perform in a gen 3 motherboard?
Did you also notice the new tech that allows huge amounts of data to be transferred directly from disk to vram?using much less CPU power to boot?

The whole argument about pcie x is about getting stuff to the card as fast as possible, that's the only thing that might change some performance metric and now it's pretty much obsolete,if the direct storage API/nvidia's counterpart can move more data to Vram faster than pcie 4 without it ever possibly could than pci gen will be irrelevant.

Except for scientific or workstation or whatever other workloads,although I guess they would use it there as well.
It’s a hotly discussed topic with opinions ranging from it will make zero difference to it will be significant. Ultimately we won’t know until the benchmarks are in. Given Intel don’t have a 4.0 platform yet it will be interesting if there is a difference.

Jul 11, 2020
It’s a hotly discussed topic with opinions ranging from it will make zero difference to it will be significant. Ultimately we won’t know until the benchmarks are in. Given Intel don’t have a 4.0 platform yet it will be interesting if there is a difference.
So if you look here:

Under performance you notice they tested this on a system with these specs:
Highest Game Settings, 4K , i9-10900K, 64GB RAM, Win 10 X64. RTX ON is RT + DLSS. (10 Series is RT only, not capable of DLSS).

Can a 10900K be run with PCI-e Gen 4??

So if you look here:

Under performance you notice they tested this on a system with these specs:
Highest Game Settings, 4K , i9-10900K, 64GB RAM, Win 10 X64. RTX ON is RT + DLSS. (10 Series is RT only, not capable of DLSS).

Can a 10900K be run with PCI-e Gen 4??
Very good point, it’s pcie 3.0

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Were you wondering about performance or compatibility? If was regarding compatibility, the 5700XT is a pcie4 card and is running on pcie3 motherboards.

9900k will have no issue running 3000 series, probably the following gen as well.

Did you also notice the new tech that allows huge amounts of data to be transferred directly from disk to vram?using much less CPU power to boot?

The whole argument about pcie x is about getting stuff to the card as fast as possible, that's the only thing that might change some performance metric and now it's pretty much obsolete,if the direct storage API/nvidia's counterpart can move more data to Vram faster than pcie 4 without it ever possibly could than pci gen will be irrelevant.

Except for scientific or workstation or whatever other workloads,although I guess they would use it there as well.

Solution