Question 3080 low clock speeds/VBios and power limit concern

Jan 8, 2021
I resorted to trying my luck asking this here since I've had no response in another forum: I just got a 3080 eagle OC by gigabyte, which has a 340W power limit bios. I'm fairly disappointed in the clock speeds I'm getting, and it seems like flashing it to a FE bios, or whatever other 370W bios, would be worthwhile. My only concern is, can the board take it? Afaik, there doesn't seem to be any issues with letting the gpu draw more until you hit a thermal barrier, and since there's a lot of thermal headroom on this one, it seems worth a shot. Can the power delivery sustain the increased limit without damage? Or should I just stick to stock and not risk it?

Update: My clocks seem pretty disappointing even comparing to other eagle models at stock. I considered trying to change the thermal paste since I've had weird, almost similar issues with my previous card where it didn't boost and reported lower temps, but when I disassembled it, the amount of thermal paste applied out of the box was awful, and it was resolved after reapplying. What I worry about is losing the warranty days after purchase. If it's not the case, is there any information on whether or not the power delivery on this particular board can handle a higher tdp? Any input is highly appreciated!

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2021
what speeds are you getting. modifying your card or messing will ruin your chance of an RMA if applicablee
Well, I took a look at it and there isn't any seal on any of the screws. So, if it's necessary, I could try it out, there's little to no risk to changing a paste application. As far as flashing a new bios, I've done it a few times before without any issues, but I haven't looked for any compatible vbios for this card yet, since I still have this concern. It's hovering in the mid to high 1800s, which is theoretically within spec, but, again, highly disappointing. I've seen people say theirs reach up to 2GHz at stock. Steve from GN deemed a card of the same model disappointing when it was reaching mid to high 1900s constantly. I'd appreciate it if anyone could further comment on the power delivery system's capabilities of handling a higher power limit, should it be possible to flash a compatible vbios. It's very likely that could solve it.