[SOLVED] 3080 or 6900xt ?

Apr 21, 2021
Please don't spam the forum, keep it to 1 thread.
Seeing how the prices are right now the 6900xt and the 3080 are at the same price in my region

so i have a couple questions -
My build plan initially had a 3080 , but i always hear the 6900xt being compared to a 3090 So,

1)which is better in you're opinion(data aside) ?

2)Ray tracing and dlls are better in 3080(at-least in the videos I've seen) so is the 3080 better for future ?

3) are ray tracing and dlls worth or is it still new tech ?

4)I want to be able to max out settings on any game ate 1440p ray-tracing(if available) or not for the next 3-4 years before upgrading, so keeping that i mind which is better ?

Thanks in advance

Solution
1)If the 2 really can be had for the same price: 6900XT.

2)It might be, it might not. Look at what happened to G-Sync.
It came along, bringing a price premium, pigeon-holed users into Nvidia gpus - some might argue whether that's a bad thing - but then along came FreeSync and its derivatives...
Proprietary tech can bite you later.

3)Ray tracing, not at all. DLSS is more interesting.
I don't like how both are more or less limited to AAA titles - I'm not a big time player of AAA.
AMD's implementation of both may not ever get better than Nvidia's, but it's still something I can work with.

4)Uhh, that's probably a tie. RT performance hit HURTS, and it only gets worse the higher the resolution.
Even with DLSS or the alternative on next to...
Apr 21, 2021
Seeing how the prices are right now the 6900xt and the 3080 are at the same price in my region

so i have a couple questions -
My build plan initially had a 3080 , but i always hear the 6900xt being compared to a 3090 So,

2)Ray tracing and dlls are better in 3080(at-least in the videos I've seen) so is the 3080 better for future ?

4)I want to be able to max out settings on any game ate 1440p ray-tracing(if available) or not for the next 3-4 years before upgrading, so keeping that i mind which is better ?

Prices are the same , no need to worry about it I just need an opinion
If curious, this is my build
Ryzen 7 5900x
MPG Gaming Carbon b550
Noctua 14s
Corsair RM850 Gold
Fractal Design Meshify 2
Aorus 1tb gen 4
2x16 (3600Mhz) G skill
3080 or 6900x(purpose of question)

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
1| We'd need to know what the prices for both (in your region) are, then the games you want to play on the GPU and the make and model of the PSU(+age) before suggesting which one to get. Yes both are hot headed but one is a little less than the other, not to mention how some game are better optimized.

2| Future might be better or none thereof. It depends if the game devs are backed, financially, by GPU makers to push the boundaries and help get Ray Tracing gain momentum.

3| Yes and no, it's already one generation old, considering RTX 2000's started the trend of ray tracing on GPU's.

4| See point 1.

Apr 21, 2021
1| We'd need to know what the prices for both (in your region) are, then the games you want to play on the GPU and the make and model of the PSU(+age) before suggesting which one to get. Yes both are hot headed but one is a little less than the other, not to mention how some game are better optimized.

2| Future might be better or none thereof. It depends if the game devs are backed, financially, by GPU makers to push the boundaries and help get Ray Tracing gain momentum.

3| Yes and no, it's already one generation old, considering RTX 2000's started the trend of ray tracing on GPU's.

4| See point 1.
1)no need to worry about price,etc just want an opinion, all the AAA games at highest setting 1440p
2)what do yo u think about that ?
3)Hmm, i see

If it were me, the RTX 3080 because it checks off more boxes for me than the 6900XT does.

I would argue yes. It's better at ray tracing and given that AMD's FSR tech works on any GPU, you have the option of both FSR and DLSS.

That depends on if you care more about visual quality or frame rates. At 1440p, ray tracing, even with DLSS, won't let you get say 144+ FPS.

If we're talking just ray-tracing performance, the 3080 handily wins over the 6900XT.

ZieQv7XSChomaz2FeBuutJ-970-80.png.webp

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)If the 2 really can be had for the same price: 6900XT.

2)It might be, it might not. Look at what happened to G-Sync.
It came along, bringing a price premium, pigeon-holed users into Nvidia gpus - some might argue whether that's a bad thing - but then along came FreeSync and its derivatives...
Proprietary tech can bite you later.

3)Ray tracing, not at all. DLSS is more interesting.
I don't like how both are more or less limited to AAA titles - I'm not a big time player of AAA.
AMD's implementation of both may not ever get better than Nvidia's, but it's still something I can work with.

4)Uhh, that's probably a tie. RT performance hit HURTS, and it only gets worse the higher the resolution.
Even with DLSS or the alternative on next to it, you still wouldn't see 144fps in some titles.

Last edited:
Solution

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
In a normal market i would say 3080 with my eyes closed. Ray tracing more mature, dlss and 300 Eu/dollars less for 10/15% less performance in rasterization. In the current market the line thins out and myself ended up going for a 6900xt paying it less than what a 3080 goes for nowadays (i bought mine for 1300 Eu).

That said, You should ask yourself: do i care for Ray tracing and am i a content creator/video editor.

If those two questions got a yes answer, go 3080. If those two are a no, go 6900xt. Brute force wise and dps wise the 6900xt is a better card, more efficient in power too and generally cooler.
The 3000 serie have ray tracing and all the suite Nvidia brings to the table if you're a content creator/video editor.

EDIT Scrap what i said about straming/content creation/editing video. I've been told by a couple of friends that do so themselves and told me they're pretty much the same as the nvidia cards now. Huh figures.

Last edited:
I have a 3080 and game at 1440p and 4K, mostly 1440p. I’d say forget about about Ray Tracing, it adds very little and generally you cannot see a difference unless you look very hard and it still gives a big performance hit. Linus did a video recently and from his team it was a minority that could actually tell the difference between RT on or off.

However DLSS2.0 is very impressive and I would say worth a premium. Is it enough to pick a 3080 over a 6900xt is going to be a personal choice. I do have 2 doubt and that is if AMD have upped their game with driver support especially for newly released games.