[SOLVED] 3080 preordered. System suitable?

BlueDerp

Honorable
Mar 20, 2014
Power Supply: Seasonic 850W Gold Power Supply
Processor: Intel Core i7 4930K Six Core (3.4GHz, 12MB Cache overclockable upto 4.4GHz, Hyperthreading) Socket 2011
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
Graphics Card 1: Pallit nVidia GeForce GTX 780 3GB GDDR5 PCI Express Graphics Card
Memory: 32GB Corsair DDR3 1866MHz C10 Quad Channel Memory Kit (4 x 8GB)
Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition Intel X79
Hard Disk Drive One: 500GB Samsung 840 Evo SSD
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Z pci-e
Case: Fractal Define XL R2

Win 8.1
Main question is, is there any major issues that are going to stop me from even running the new card?
Or is it more bottlenecking?
If the latter, which components?
The CPU, so the motherboard would need to be replaced?
Or maybe the power supply and space isnt quite enough in the case, despite the size?
Prehaps just the connections on the PSU?

Or prehaps even just driver/software issues with the combination of components?

Look forward to hearing answers.
Im expecting not to actually get the card for quite a while. Im like 1500 in the preorder queue sigh

Solution
1)I don't see anything that stands out.

2)1080p - cpu limitation.
1440p - POSSIBLE cpu limitation in specific titles.
This is really a 4K card.

3)Yes, it does mean the motherboard and ram will need to be replaced.

4)You should've checked the dimensions before ordering... that's your responsibility.

5)I believe it's good practice to replace the psu if it's past the warranty.

6)Possible driver/software issues is your privilege as an early adopter/beta tester of a new product...

My 2 cents.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)I don't see anything that stands out.

2)1080p - cpu limitation.
1440p - POSSIBLE cpu limitation in specific titles.
This is really a 4K card.

3)Yes, it does mean the motherboard and ram will need to be replaced.

4)You should've checked the dimensions before ordering... that's your responsibility.

5)I believe it's good practice to replace the psu if it's past the warranty.

6)Possible driver/software issues is your privilege as an early adopter/beta tester of a new product...

My 2 cents.

Solution

BlueDerp

Honorable
Mar 20, 2014
Thanks for quick reply
Maybe I should have mentioned that going for Asus 3080 TUF.

Fair point about the PSU. Hadn't really thought that would need replacing yet.
As you can tell I'm not fully versed in current PC requirements.
Did alotnof research in 2013 and stupidly tunnel visioned on the graphics card being the main component holding me back.

Resolution doesn't bother me too much but would like to target a solid 1080p 120hz. Then again I do have a CS1 oculus rift in a box never used as i couldn't with a 780.
So expect I would target over 1080p on that, as 1080 looks more like 480p.

If I hadn't spent like £2500 in 2014 or had the money, I'd probably get a new system. But as been holding out so long for a new card and supposedly there being a new gen4 intel mobos still to come,. Maybe wait till then.?

johnsoner13

Respectable
He is right. You need DDR4 ram to have a 30 series card. Plus if it was a founders edition you need the new power cable. Cpu is fine for gaming. Its actually pretty modern considering the rest of your specs. 120hz is great as this card could proboly do 200 hell proboly even more. You just need DDR4 and a PCIe 4.0 compatible motherboard.
What are you even talking about. Don’t spread false information. You dont need ddr4 ram or pcie gen 4 for ampere

Reactions: RTX 2080 and Genr8

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
@BlueDerp
1080p 120? A 3080 is more than what you need for that setting.
A 3070(October), or whatever AMD is announcing in October would yield great performance for the money.
If you're just looking to splurge, well... no one can stop you from getting a 3080.

Now if you actually intend to use that Oculus... that would actually warrant a 3080. VR system demands resources that rival that of 4K systems.

I couldn't help but noticing you still have Windows 8.1. Unless you have a specific reason for not upgrading to Windows 10, I would highly recommend you migrate over (can easily be done for free).

With a RTX 3080, you'd also be doing yourself a disservice by not upgrading your monitor to at least a 1440p 144 Hz panel. The only people who should be rocking 1080p resolution with a RTX 3080 are esports guys trying to hit 240 fps or 360 fps.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The only people who should be rocking 1080p resolution with a RTX 3080 are esports guys trying to hit 240 fps or 360 fps.
A 3080 isn't needed for that. Those folks are entirely cpu and ram frequency bound.
Their priority should be the highest possible fps lows. No point in having a 500fps max(3080) when there's still dips below the monitor's refresh rate(cpu + ram).