Sep 4, 2018
SPECS -
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 5800x 3.8GHz
GPU : AORUS Master RtX 3080 10GB
RAM : G.Skill TridentZ 3200Mhz CL16 32GB (2 x 16) XMP Profile on
MOBO : X570 Aorus Elite
PSU : Corsair HX1000W

PROBLEM -
While I have my RTX 3080 in my computer, I will randomly lose display to both of my monitors at the same time which will require me to turn the whole system off by holding the button then turning it back on again. On the rare occasion I will get a black screen with artifacts at the bottom and it will never even boot up.
8uqWaON.jpg

These loses of display happen most often when I am trying to play a game. It doesn't matter how graphic intensive they are as I experience them in anything I play from Warzon 2 to Skyrim. I've also had multiple instances of no display while just browsing the internet or watching movies with VLC and even times where my computer is practically idle.
Each time this happens I often see multiple instances of "nvlddmkm Event ID 14" and "Application Error Faulting application name: dwm.exe".

WHAT I HAVE DONE -
  • Checked for Windows updates.
  • Ran the SFC /scannow command and found no integrity violations.
  • Ran the DISM /Online /Cleanip-Image /CheckHealth command and found no component store corruption.
  • Reinstalled Windows entirely.
  • Installed the latested BIOS and CPU Chipset versions.
  • Ran the CHKDSK command and found no problems.
  • Used CrystalDiskInfo to check drives. My 250GB Windows drive Health Status: Good 94% and my 1TB SSD Health Status: Good 95%.
  • Ran Memtest86+. Completed 11 Passes with 0 Errors.
  • Ran Aida64 for 2 hours.
  • Installed the latest Graphics Driver.
  • Downgraded to the previous Graphics Driver.
  • Tested 5 other Graphics Driver versions.
  • Used DDU to remove the Graphics Drivers entirely and repeat the previous 3 things.
  • Bought a new PSU (the HX1000W mentioned, the previous was a 850W from Corsair as well).
  • Bought new Displayports and HDMI cables.
  • Tried different Monitors to have the same problem.
  • Ran 3DMARK Benchmark twice.
  • Ran 3DMARK GPU Stress Tests Speedway, Timespy and Port Royal for 20 loops each, back to back.
  • I've played some games while monitoring MSI Afterburner alongside it and didn't see anything in particular.
I've also sent my GPU in for an RMA which had it sent to Gigabyte to test. After 1 month of waiting I got the same GPU back with a "No Fault Found Report" slip which stated they tested the GPU in 3DMARK for 2 hours. A lot of these tests I did both before and after I sent my GPU in to them. During the month that they had my 3080, I was using my old 1060 and never had a single problem, even playing the same games, though not at the same settings except for Skyrim.

I just ran FURMARK and lost display after about 16mins into the stress test. This time I got no "nvlddmkm Event ID 14" but I did still get the "Application Error Faulting application name: dwm.exe" and additionally "NVIDIA OpenGL Driver A TDR has been detected".
I was running GPU-Z alongside FURMARK and here are some logs for that stress test:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/mif3fw5bpcpq43m/GPU-Z_Sensor_Log.txt/file
Not really sure how to upload the logs, let me know if there's a better way, thanks.

deathshound7007

Reputable
Sep 4, 2018
If you haven't done it, try wiping the Nvidia drivers from the system using DDU and install the latest Nvidia drivers.
Yeah I've tried that. I also used DDU when trying older drivers as well

It seems you did a lot of troubleshooting already.

I will ask you one question, but Im afraid this may be an issue with your GPU.

Was GTX 1060 plug into the PC and your monitor, using the same cable than the one for the RTX 3080?
Yup used the same cables for the 1060 as the ones that were plugged into the 3080
I believe it's my GPU as well, I'm just trying absolutely everything I can think of as well as seeing if there's anything I have missed so that I can send Gigabyte a big fat list before they chuck on 3DMARK again and call it a day and send it back saying it's fine. (Luckily it's covered by warrenty still)

Reactions: RodroX