Question 3080 severely underperforming and crashing

dnnk

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2012
Hi there

I bought a 3080 in Dec 2020 and throughout it's life it's always been underperforming. I used to be able to run a bunch of twitch streams open on my 1080 and play games. I primarily play valorant on low res, all low settings and I never really put a thought to it. However, when it came to newer games, I struggle.

Hogwards Legacy I crashed to the point where i didn't bother playing anymore. I was only really able to play on low
Dirt 2 would crash right when the tutorial race started
More recently Diablo 4 crashes instantly unless I put the game on low/medium. On my brothers computer who's on a 3070 i was able to run the game on ultra with no problem.

My specs are:

AMD 3800x
MSI 3080 Trio X
Corsair 32gb 3600mhz
MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
Cooler Master V2 750w Gold
1440p

Occasionally on my task manager, I notice the GPU Graph spikes to max for half a second and i'm not too sure why.

Did I get a dud when i first bought my 3080?

Hi there

I bought a 3080 in Dec 2020 and throughout it's life it's always been underperforming. I used to be able to run a bunch of twitch streams open on my 1080 and play games. I primarily play valorant on low res, all low settings and I never really put a thought to it. However, when it came to newer games, I struggle.

Hogwards Legacy I crashed to the point where i didn't bother playing anymore. I was only really able to play on low
More recently Diablo 4 crashes instantly unless I put the game on low/medium. On my brothers computer who's on a 3070 i was able to run the game on ultra with no problem.

My specs are:

AMD 3800x
MSI 3080 Trio X
Corsair 32gb 3600mhz
MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
1440p

Occasionally on my task manager, I notice the GPU Graph spikes to max for half a second and i'm not too sure why.

Consider replacing the psu with a quality 850w or bigger unit.

Jul 7, 2022
Hi there

My specs are:

AMD 3800x
MSI 3080 Trio X
Corsair 32gb 3600mhz
MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
1440p

You might have gotten one of those early 3080’s with the wrong capacitors on the back of the card opposite the die.

It's entirely possible that you do have a problematic 3080 which should have been RMA'd (might still be under warranty). While your PSU seems pretty decent 750W is the edge of what you should really be running for a 3080. One thing I'd suggest is making sure all of the power connectors on the GPU are single runs from the PSU so there aren't any shared connectors. It's pretty clear from your description that it's only crashing when under load and the spike you're seeing could be a power related crash.

Edit - If you aren't aware this was the potential issue: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/m...force-rtx-3080-design-amid-stability-concerns

Reactions: dnnk
Jul 7, 2022
It's entirely possible that you do have a problematic 3080 which should have been RMA'd (might still be under warranty). While your PSU seems pretty decent 750W is the edge of what you should really be running for a 3080. One thing I'd suggest is making sure all of the power connectors on the GPU are single runs from the PSU so there aren't any shared connectors. It's pretty clear from your description that it's only crashing when under load and the spike you're seeing could be a power related crash.

Edit - If you aren't aware this was the potential issue: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/m...force-rtx-3080-design-amid-stability-concerns
+ 1 on this actually…idk why I didn’t put 2 and 2 together. I gave my dad a new 3080 but his PSU was a 750 watt no name from sky lake gen. I had to put the power target down to 54% for the computer to stop freezing and black screening at random times.

Reactions: dnnk

dnnk

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2012
Thanks everyone - I don't really have the budget to upgrade my psu however i did an AMD chipset driver update, and it appears to have worked. I read in another thread that some B450 boards had an issue with the PCI slot not delivering enough power. I dont know how true that is, but so far so good :)

EDIT: It's definitely been an improvement with the chipset driver update, i was able to go from low to ultra on D4 with no problems. Prior to the update, i would insta-crash on Ultra D4. However, i was still monitoring powerspikes and i ultimately decided to upgrade to a 1000w FSP Hydro G Pro PSU since there was a decent bundle sale. I still get occasional memory crashes. I also increased my pagefile from 0 to system control on my C:/ and 5gb-120gb max on a spare SSD. Hopefully it's all good from here.

Hogwarts Legacy still crashes randomly though

Last edited: