[SOLVED] 3080 Strix OC White 10GB vs 3080 Ventus 3x 12GB

Dec 31, 2021
Hello.

I was browsing for some GPUs and came across a gorgeous 3080 STRIX OC White (10Gig) and later found a MSI Ventus 3x Plus OC (12Gig) for almost 100$ less.

Is the Ventus a much better deal? Thanks in advance.

Solution
I know the obvious. What I don't know if the Strix can keep up with the boosted 12gb version by MSI? Will the extra two gigs of VRAM make a difference in the long run? Technical factors like that.

Maybe the extra juice in the Strix 10GB makes it equal to the lower quality built Ventus.
This is a comparison between the 10GB and the 12GB versions:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5yxzkeEDY4

Their difference is not only the VRAM. CUDA cores, memory bus, tensor cores, RT cores are some among them.

The STRIX is on the top of the line of 3080 10GB while the Ventus is on the bottom of the line of 3080...
Hello.

I was browsing for some GPUs and came across a gorgeous 3080 STRIX OC White (10Gig) and later found a MSI Ventus 3x Plus OC (12Gig) for almost 100$ less.

Is the Ventus a much better deal? Thanks in advance.
What do you expect as an answer? The obvious?
Of course the ventus is a much better deal but that's only if you care about the price you pay. If you consider cooling solutions, aesthetics, ability to OC, size of the card, power delivery, etc.. then you get a completely different outcome.
The white cards are almost always more expensive than the default color cards.

Dec 31, 2021
What do you expect as an answer? The obvious?
Of course the ventus is a much better deal but that's only if you care about the price you pay. If you consider cooling solutions, aesthetics, ability to OC, size of the card, power delivery, etc.. then you get a completely different outcome.
The white cards are almost always more expensive than the default color cards.

I know the obvious. What I don't know if the Strix can keep up with the boosted 12gb version by MSI? Will the extra two gigs of VRAM make a difference in the long run? Technical factors like that.

Maybe the extra juice in the Strix 10GB makes it equal to the lower quality built Ventus.

Their difference is not only the VRAM. CUDA cores, memory bus, tensor cores, RT cores are some among them.

The STRIX is on the top of the line of 3080 10GB while the Ventus is on the bottom of the line of 3080 12GB. They will perform almost the same and even when they don't you won't notice the difference.

In the end, if the price does not concern you, buy the STRIX 10GB and with it many good things (especially cooling and aesthetics). If it does, buy the VENTUS 12GB.

Solution
Dec 31, 2021

The STRIX is on the top of the line of 3080 10GB while the Ventus is on the bottom of the line of 3080 12GB. They will perform almost the same and even when they don't you won't notice the difference.

In the end, if the price does not concern you, buy the STRIX 10GB and with it many good things (especially cooling and aesthetics). If it does, buy the VENTUS 12GB.

👍

What's your view on the 10gigs of VRAM in the long run? 3440x1440

👍

What's your view on the 10gigs of VRAM in the long run? 3440x1440
Depends what you mean by long run. If it's for the next 3 years, it should be fine. If it's for 5+ years then it's a bit stretchy.

Of course you can always tone down 1-2 settings that consume a lot of VRAM and don't care about it.

For most people the GPU will be replaced around the 5 year point, if not sooner, so the new RTXXX 7080 by then will have around 32GB by then...