Question 3080 Ti and only 40 fps?!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 5, 2021
I recently upgraded my GPU from an evga 1080 FTW to a ROG STRIK Geforce RTX 3080 Ti OC edition 12GB GDDr6x .

Specs: CPU: intel i9 9900k cpu 3.6 GHZ. Z390 Aorus Ultra Mobo, 32 GB of ram running at 4266.

I ran this benchmark under the benchmark in the game Borderlands 3 and the results were disappointing, with all settings set to max or ultra.

My cpu is water cooled Corsair H100l RGB Pro XT. While running the bench i ran the software also and saw that my cpu usage was 23%, Cpu temp was 48 C and GPU was 77.31 C!

is my 3080 <Mod Edit>?! Why am i getting such a low framerate? I would think my 3080 Ti could be chewing on this game pretty easy, not breaking out in a sweat at 77.31C!

I also have the benchmark program in steam 3D mark if you want me to post some stuff from there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Well dang! My card is WAY underperforming compared to yours. I didnt mess with any settings or attempt to overclock anything. i just ran it as is out of the box.
No. This has nothing to do with the gpu. This is all on the cpu. Your cpu score of 5k when average is 10k only supports that. The gpu can only render whatever the cpu gives it, detail settings don't matter.

So what is hitting the cpu? Hair works or Ray Tracing? Other pre affects? Bios? Motherboard drivers? There's something sucking down the cpu, go find it.

Dec 5, 2021
No. This has nothing to do with the gpu. This is all on the cpu. Your cpu score of 5k when average is 10k only supports that. The gpu can only render whatever the cpu gives it, detail settings don't matter.

So what is hitting the cpu? Hair works or Ray Tracing? Other pre affects? Bios? Motherboard drivers? There's something sucking down the cpu, go find it.

how do i find whats dragging the cpu down?

noidis

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
It's strange your temps were okay as to me this really seems like a heat issue (77 isn't bad for a GPU under idle and your CPU is fine too).

What software were you using to monitor the temps?

Dec 5, 2021
sorry, no one asked and i didnt think it was relevant.

my psu is corsair RM 850x and to be honest i havent really checked performances in other games yet. I got this gpu 2 weeks ago and im just now getting into how it performs.

I will check out HWinfo or RTSS

Dec 5, 2021
huh... intereting.. HWinfo has my highest temp running the borderlands 3 benchmark at 71 C but my ICue software recorded my highest temp at 83C. Why the difference? why is HWinfo mor reliable?

Dec 5, 2021
DDR4-4400 is almost certainly running gear-2. I'd try running 3800 in gear-1, see if reduced memory controller latency will help.
DDR4-4400 is almost certainly running gear-2. I'd try running 3800 in gear-1, see if reduced memory controller latency will help.
what do you mean gear 2? if you mean did i turn on XMP, yes i did because otherwise my ram would run at 2666 or something like that i cant remember the actual number

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
😕
. but, still, 89 is kinda low isnt it? especially for a 3080 ti?
What does the gpu have to do with it? At best, a gpu is nothing more than an fps limiter, to the fps you see on screen.

For instance, if the cpu can only send 30fps to the gpu, it'd not make a difference if you had a 3060 or 3090's in SLI, you'll only get 30fps on screen.

If the cpu can send 200fps to the gpu, but you've got the settings and affects so jacked you are only getting 89fps, your gpu is limiting the output. A 3060 would be seeing 40's, a 3090 @ 90fps.

With a TimeSpy score of 5k when averages were 10k, the cpu is only sending limited fps to the gpu. Having a 3080ti means nothing there, only that it's not being used to its potential, because the cpu is not sending enough. The gpu cannot add fps, does not set max fps, only limits what you can see according to detail settings and resolution.

If you have it set to run a 4k DSR, that's going to kill fps. If you have max amounts of stupid settings set, by using ultra pre-select, that kills fps you can see. But with such low usage, that's not happening.

Mismatched, corrupted, or out of date drivers are the most likely culprit.

Dec 5, 2021
😕

What does the gpu have to do with it? At best, a gpu is nothing more than an fps limiter, to the fps you see on screen.

For instance, if the cpu can only send 30fps to the gpu, it'd not make a difference if you had a 3060 or 3090's in SLI, you'll only get 30fps on screen.

If the cpu can send 200fps to the gpu, but you've got the settings and affects so jacked you are only getting 89fps, your gpu is limiting the output. A 3060 would be seeing 40's, a 3090 @ 90fps.

With a TimeSpy score of 5k when averages were 10k, the cpu is only sending limited fps to the gpu. Having a 3080ti means nothing there, only that it's not being used to its potential, because the cpu is not sending enough. The gpu cannot add fps, does not set max fps, only limits what you can see according to detail settings and resolution.

If you have it set to run a 4k DSR, that's going to kill fps. If you have max amounts of stupid settings set, by using ultra pre-select, that kills fps you can see. But with such low usage, that's not happening.

Mismatched, corrupted, or out of date drivers are the most likely culprit.
i was was under the impression that GPU strictly controlled anything graphics related.
So the issue is my CPU is what you are saying. I should try reinstalling the drivers for my cpu?

I did a clean install of windows before installing this gpu. by clean i mean i formatted my SSD and installed clean windows. after that i installed all necessary drivers for my mobo from the motherboard manufacturer site. then my gpu drivers. Then windows did its own update <Mod Edit>.

Last edited by a moderator:

InvalidError

Titan
what do you mean gear 2? if you mean did i turn on XMP, yes i did because otherwise my ram would run at 2666 or something like that i cant remember the actual number
Actually, the "gear" nomenclature is new to 11th-gen and up. In older CPUs, it will be called something like "memory clock ratio" when present and does fundamentally the same thing: lets the memory controller operate at some fraction of the memory bus frequency. It may not be a thing on the 9000-series, forget what I wrote in that case..

Dec 5, 2021
Wonder why the 980 is so slow.
Perhaps check with samsung about the firmware level for that disk.
i downloaded samsung magician and updated my firmware from there. re ran the userbench and im still getting the same result. I saw a notice in the samsung magician that stated recommend connecting to pcie gen 4 for optimal speed. I have a z390 Aorus ultra mobo so i think that may be why its underperforming because i cannot find what generation the pcie i am using that my 980 is connected to and the manual isnt helping me find that information

found some info on the motherboard online. its pcie gen 3x4 so im assuming its gen 3. not gen 4

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
i was was under the impression that GPU strictly controlled anything graphics related.
So the issue is my CPU is what you are saying. I should try reinstalling the drivers for my cpu?
Cpu starts the ball rolling. It takes all the graphics code from storage-ram, all the objects, dimensions, assigns locations according to your point of view, distances, Ai, npcs, scripts, all that and more and makes a frame package that gets sent to the gpu. The gpu makes a wire frame model from all that info and then adds colors and affects such as shadows and shading. The gpu might 'deal' with the graphics, but the cpu 'defines' what the graphics are. If the cpu takes a full second to define all that into a frame package, the gpu is going to get 1 frame per second to render into a picture.

As pointed out, the storage is slower than it should be, that can be an issue. Could be a conflict with ram amounts, could be driver conflicts especially with audio or Lan, check device manager, clear out temp files, check for malware or Trojans, there's many things that can make a cpu glitch or run in circles and slow its outputs.

Dec 5, 2021
Cpu starts the ball rolling. It takes all the graphics code from storage-ram, all the objects, dimensions, assigns locations according to your point of view, distances, Ai, npcs, scripts, all that and more and makes a frame package that gets sent to the gpu. The gpu makes a wire frame model from all that info and then adds colors and affects such as shadows and shading. The gpu might 'deal' with the graphics, but the cpu 'defines' what the graphics are. If the cpu takes a full second to define all that into a frame package, the gpu is going to get 1 frame per second to render into a picture.

As pointed out, the storage is slower than it should be, that can be an issue. Could be a conflict with ram amounts, could be driver conflicts especially with audio or Lan, check device manager, clear out temp files, check for malware or Trojans, there's many things that can make a cpu glitch or run in circles and slow its outputs.
Thanks for this info. I will start looking into this avenue of approach. Unfortunately, my one day off is quickly running out and i wont be able to really dig into it again until next weekend. But at least you've helped me narrow the problem down.