Question 3080 Ti drawing power from only one connector ?

MarcusD

Honorable
Jan 21, 2017
Hello everyone, I've got a weird issue with my Gigabyte 3080 Ti GAMING OC which I bought second hand and is not under warranty.

GPUz says it is only drawing power from one of the two 8-pin power connectors, and it is overheating easily even with low power limits (reaches 80c+ with a 30% power limit). It clearly has a power delivery issue but... its a zombie card which can run demanding AAA games with slightly higher framerates than my 3070. Of course, it overheats doing this but doesn't go past 85c, so otherwise it's functioning just fine. I took it to a repair guy and he found a fairly hot MOSFET, which he replaced, but the replacement was getting hot too, so it seems that part of the VRM is just under heavy load.

Here are the things I've tried: I am using two separate power connectors and I have plugged it into 3 functioning power supplies, and it has been in multiple computers and testing rigs so setup is not the problem. I have flashed the vbios to see if it is a firmware issue, and apparently it is not.

I have access to good oscilloscopes, multimeters, and soldering equipment at my university, and unless I find someone else who can repair it for a reasonable price in the MN twin-cities areas, I'm not sure I shouldn't give it a try myself, or at least try to diagnose it and send it back the the same person for him to do the replacement.

So, if anyone knows some good repair places in MN, let me know, otherwise, I need some pointers in how to diagnose and repair a graphics card with this type of power delivery issue. Thanks in advance for the help.

Lutfij

Titan
Gigabyte 3080 Ti GAMING OC which I bought second hand and is not under warranty.
That doesn't sit well with this thread and your predicament.

Highly likely that the GPU was used for mining and was sold off when it wasn't able to meet said mining demands or that a fault was spotted.

Might it be possible to parse the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

3 functioning power supplies
Include the make and models as well as their age.

MarcusD

Honorable
Jan 21, 2017
Gigabyte 3080 Ti GAMING OC which I bought second hand and is not under warranty.
That doesn't sit well with this thread and your predicament.

Highly likely that the GPU was used for mining and was sold off when it wasn't able to meet said mining demands or that a fault was spotted.

Might it be possible to parse the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

3 functioning power supplies
Include the make and models as well as their age.

The whole purpose of the thread is that I cannot rma the card and need unofficial repair resources. It's a power delivery issue, these are the most likely to be fixable.

Please keep in mind that these specs don't matter, I intentionally left them out since I didn't want useless replies trying to target which component is the issue: the issue is somewhere in the VRM on the graphics card.

CPU: Ryzen 5600x
Motherboard: ASUS TUF GAMING X570
Ram: ddr4 cl16 3600mhz
SSD/HDD: many, im too busy to list them.
GPU: RTX 3070 FE, Gigabyte RTX 3080ti gaming oc
PSU: corsair RM1000X
Chassis: Phanteks p400
Monitor: LG 27GP850B

Other power supplies tested: corsair RM750X, Corsair CX650M, multiple at the repair shop.