Nov 20, 2022
Noticed my 3080ti was only drawing about 60% power usage during gaming and benchmarks. I've had an issue with this gigabyte 3080ti OC 12G running BF2042 for awhile and couldn't figure out why it was only getting 60-70% GPU utilization. Tried all the nvidia and windows power settings to max performance. When i run at 1080p I get around 60ish % and when i run at 1440p I get around 80is%. I just took it as a poorly optimized game. Today I ran Time Spy and noticed thru GPU z that I was only getting 60% TDP and the performance cap reason was "pwr". Also Time Spy score was around 13000, 500 points below same spec systems. Tried switching the bios switch to "silent" nothing and then back to the default "OC" bios. Same result. Tried different Vga ports on the PSU. Another thing I noticed on GPU-z was the 2nd 8 pin was at 0W during gaming or benchmarking. Not sure if thats normal. I'm at a loss. I've already RMA'd this card before for another issue with gigabyte and not sure what else to do.

side note: popped in my 3070 and everything worked fine. full power and utilization.

Specs:
ryzen 5900x
32GB ram @ 3600mhz (4x8GB)
gigabyte OC 3080ti
evga 80+ gold 850W psu
1tb sabrent rocket SSD
2tb crucial sata SSD

Any help is appreciated!

Motherboard model?

Exact "EVGA Gold 850w" model?

The rest, I just have no idea what you are talking about so you'll need to clarify and be a little more clear on the specifics because "Tried different VGA ports on the PSU" makes no sense, because PSUs don't have VGA ports. Graphics cards do. And "switching the BIOS switch to silent and back to "OC"", also, no sense. There are no "switches" for different modes on the BIOS. In fact, I've never even heard of a "silent" mode for the BIOS aside from fan speed profiles.

Honestly, it sounds a lot like you have a faulty graphics card. If your 3070 works fine in the same machine and you've already had to RMA a card once before, you probably got a "refurbished" card or something because they don't "fix" them, so if what they sent you back wasn't brand new then it was either the same card or a refurbished replacement that likely had it's own problems.

Nov 20, 2022
Motherboard model?

Exact "EVGA Gold 850w" model?

The rest, I just have no idea what you are talking about so you'll need to clarify and be a little more clear on the specifics because "Tried different VGA ports on the PSU" makes no sense, because PSUs don't have VGA ports. Graphics cards do. And "switching the BIOS switch to silent and back to "OC"", also, no sense. There are no "switches" for different modes on the BIOS. In fact, I've never even heard of a "silent" mode for the BIOS aside from fan speed profiles.

Honestly, it sounds a lot like you have a faulty graphics card. If your 3070 works fine in the same machine and you've already had to RMA a card once before, you probably got a "refurbished" card or something because they don't "fix" them, so if what they sent you back wasn't brand new then it was either the same card or a refurbished replacement that likely had it's own problems.
Thanks for the response. PSU is Supernova 850 G+. mobo is MSI B550 Tomahawk Max wifi. I know PSUs don't have VGA ports. I meant the 8 pin ports that are labeled "VGA" on the PSU. I tried different POWER SUPPLY ports to see if maybe that was the issue. The card has a physical toggle switch on the pcb of the card that allows you to switch between "OC" bios and "Silent" bios. I have the same thing on the 3070 and on the 2070 super i had before. Never really messed with them though. As for the RMA, yeah i was afraid of that being the case. I guess I should just avoid gigabyte in the future?

LOL, see, now it makes more sense. It was rather confusing the way it was stated and you'd be surprised how many non-English speakers or just clueless folks we get here sometimes so it's always best to make sure everybody is on the same page before making any assumptions. :)

Ok, you are talking about the BIOS on the graphics card, not the BIOS for the motherboard. Again, being clear is key here, and since you made no mention of "graphics card" in reference to the BIOS you were talking about, I had no idea.

Well, the G+ isn't terrible. It isn't great either, but it's decent. Considering the 3070 works fine and doesn't have this problem to any degree, and since that PSU is more than adequate for the card, hard to be anything other than the card.

Might just make sure you have the latest stable motherboard BIOS version installed first though.

Nov 20, 2022
LOL, see, now it makes more sense. It was rather confusing the way it was stated and you'd be surprised how many non-English speakers or just clueless folks we get here sometimes so it's always best to make sure everybody is on the same page before making any assumptions. :)

Ok, you are talking about the BIOS on the graphics card, not the BIOS for the motherboard. Again, being clear is key here, and since you made no mention of "graphics card" in reference to the BIOS you were talking about, I had no idea.

Well, the G+ isn't terrible. It isn't great either, but it's decent. Considering the 3070 works fine and doesn't have this problem to any degree, and since that PSU is more than adequate for the card, hard to be anything other than the card.

Might just make sure you have the latest stable motherboard BIOS version installed first though.
would flashing the VBIOS on the gpu work possibly? maybe to a different gigabyte model?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Can you post of pic of the card in your case? I'm wondering if it's a tight fit around the auxiliary power connectors.
How to: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/image-posting-via-imgur.3773266/

Can you try the gpu in another PC? Well, probably not anytime soon; holiday and whatnot. I'll be out of the house myself before long.

Also Time Spy score was around 13000, 500 points below same spec systems.
You were looking at the 'average graphics score' only, and not the 'average overall score', right?
I had an idea, but 500pts below the average graphics score is far from terrible. I would've expected a much worse result from a lack of power.

Nov 20, 2022
Can you post of pic of the card in your case? I'm wondering if it's a tight fit around the auxiliary power connectors.
How to: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/image-posting-via-imgur.3773266/

Can you try the gpu in another PC? Well, probably not anytime soon; holiday and whatnot. I'll be out of the house myself before long.

You were looking at the 'average graphics score' only, and not the 'average overall score', right?
I had an idea, but 500pts below the average graphics score is far from terrible. I would've expected a much worse result from a lack of power.
I put GPU in a completely new system with fresh windows install. same result. And I meant to say it was 5000 pts below the average graphics score. GPU z has my board power draw at like max 220W while running time spy. My second 8 pin power is at zero as well. its the same issue on two completely different systems.