[SOLVED] 3080 Ti scored 8,415 in 3dmark, please help ╥﹏╥

Dec 17, 2021
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. ROG CROSSHAIR VIII FORMULA (3dmark.com)
Talking about video card underperforming......
My card runs on PCIEX8 4.0 and a 1200W PSU. Temperature seems fine constantly at about 68c. The card is plugged into two 8-pin power cables at 12.0 V.
The only problem seems to be the very low average clock frequency but I am not sure about how to solve it. I never really benchmarked before; I just started doing it yesterday as I noticed a lower frame than usual. But I suspect it might have been underperforming before. I reinstalled the Nvidia driver back to the October version but it didn't change anything.
I got a 13.5gb/s on the PCI Express feature test; maybe this is an issue?
Edit: I just changed it to "prefer maximum performance" in the Nvidia control pannel. The clock frequency is constantly at 1770MHz in GPU-Z, but it seems that when I actually play a game or run 3dmark, it drops down to about 600MHz and stays there.

Last edited:
Solution
Must be getting too hot then.
Gpu core is good up to ~83C, then the core starts dropping clocks harder. At 90C, it'll be looking to shut off on you.
Gpu hotspot has a limit of 110C.
Vram is good up to 95C, but throttles at 105C.

If you have hotspot problems, then I suspect gpu cooler mounting pressure has shifted(gpu sag, anyone?), or it needs a repaste - don't use just any paste though. One of these should work well:
Noctua NT-H2
Prolimatech PK-3
Gelid GC Extreme
Kingpin KPx
Cooler Master Mastergel Pro V2
Dec 17, 2021
According to GPU-Z, when I run benchmarks and GPU at 100%, the perf cap reason is the temperature limit. I will investigate that as the hotspot temp does get above 100c. Meanwhile, if anyone has any thoughts, please comment. Any help would be deeply appreciated.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Gpu core is good up to ~83C, then the core starts dropping clocks harder. At 90C, it'll be looking to shut off on you.

If you have hotspot problems, then I suspect gpu cooler mounting pressure has shifted(gpu sag, anyone?), or it needs a repaste - don't use just any paste though. One of these should work well:
Noctua NT-H2
Prolimatech PK-3
Gelid GC Extreme
Kingpin KPx

Reactions: BT0830
Solution
Dec 17, 2021

Noctua NT-H2
Prolimatech PK-3
Gelid GC Extreme
Kingpin KPx
Thanks for the help! I just bought a bunch of goodies and looking forward to replacing all the thermal pads and paste tomorrow.
Hopefully it will solve the issue.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It's not advisible to reuse thermal pads.
Once you separate the components (allow the pads to relax and change form) they should be replaced with new ones due to the potential for them to not create as good a seal against the components they are trying to cool.
Huh. Well, that's news to me. I knew if they were torn or ripped off, they'd need to be replaced.

Hopefully the OP got the right ones - if not, they're in for a trip...

Reactions: BT0830
Dec 17, 2021
Thank you guys for your help! I opened the PCB and found out that there was a very small amount of paste on the core, and the thermal pads were kinda low quality. So I replaced all of them and my score now is normal. Just in case anyone runs into the same issue with the Aorus Waterforce 3080ti, it is definitely worthwhile to try replacing the thermal compounds.

TRENDING THREADS