StGeorge991

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2013
Hi,
I just upgraded from ASRock AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT Challenger D 8G OC to Palit GeForce RTX 3080 Ti GameRock, and something that seems somewhat strange, is that I appear to have lower frame rate in most games (could be that GeForce experience needs tweaks, so leave any advices below)
Anyway my System is as follows:

AMD Ryzen 9 3900x
Palit GeForce RTX 3080 Ti GameRock
Gigabyte X570 Gaming X Rev 1.0
2x16GB of RAM G.SKILL Aegis 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16 DIMM - F4-3200C16S-16GIS
Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB
PSU 1000W Gigabyte GP-P1000GM

Since changing from 5700xt, I noticed a dip in FPS in almost all of the games (Battlefield, which I ran on High on 5700xt at steady 50-60FPS, is now averageing 30fps, sometimes going low as 25. So are there any tweaks/setting I might have missed regarding Nvidia GPUs?

Also, some benchmark scores:

Cinebench Single core 1306pts
Cinebench Multi core 17672 pts
MP ratio 13.53x

Haven Basic preset:
FPS 329.8
Score 8308
MIN FPS 43,5, MAX FPS 549,3
Render D3D9, Mode 1280X720 2xAA Windowed

Haven extreme preset:
FPS 140,9
Score 3549
MIN FPS 9,4 MAX FPS 154,5
Render D3D11, Mode 1920X1080 fullscreen, Quality Ultra, Tesselation Extreme

Superposition Score on 1080p extreme 9574 (People with similar configurations like mine get over 12000 mostly. )

Last edited:

StGeorge991

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2013
I mean, what are possible reasons for low performance? CPU shouldn't be the problem? PSU, I suppose theoretically, but it's a brand new PSU, I bought when I bought my GPU. My boot drive is on SSD not NVME but still, it was the same on my 5700xt. The only thing that seems to make sense to me is maybe the GPU is faulty in some way, or PSU is not providing maybe enough power? Should I try some settings in the afterburner? If so, what should I try?

StGeorge991

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2013
Also noticed my PSU has coil squeals. From what I've read, they are not uncommon, and shouldn't impede on GPU. But could it actually be the PSU issue?

How are your temps of CPU and GPU? Idle and while gaming please.
Run a malware scan.
Run a userbenchmark and post the link to the results here.
Make sure you have the latest chipset drivers, windows updates and BIOS.
Do you have any daisy chain from PSU to GPU or three different cables?

Reactions: RodroX

StGeorge991

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2013
How are your temps of CPU and GPU? Idle and while gaming please.
Run a malware scan.
Run a userbenchmark and post the link to the results here.
Make sure you have the latest chipset drivers, windows updates and BIOS.
Do you have any daisy chain from PSU to GPU or three different cables?
Gpu, when benchmarked with haven didn't go over 67 degrees (both basic and extreme). CPU when benchmarked on Cinebench didn't go over 72. (I don't have a link sorry)
BIOS is fully updated, windows too. GPU has two different cables for PCI-E (one is daisy chain) PSU has only two cables with two connectors each. I'll run a malware scan, but since that wasn't the issue when I had 5700xt, it shouldn't be now. Only things changed are PSU and the GPU

GPU has two different cables for PCI-E (one is daisy chain) PSU has only two cables with two connectors each.
That is concerning for a PSU of 1000w. And yeah, I just searched about it and it's under tier C in the PSU tier list.

For your particular GPU, nothing less than tier A should be in your system.
I have seen gpus underperform with psus that were not up to par, it's not common though. In any case since your GPU is highly expensive you shouldn't have any PSU that it's not as good as that GPU needs.
You should never cheap out on a PSU. It is literally what makes the system run and keeps safe all your expensive hardware.

StGeorge991

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2013
Damn. Didn't know it was that poorly rated... I thought if it has 80+Gold rating, that it was good enough. Will look into getting better PSU ASAP. I'm thinking of getting a Ryzen 5950x soon, so will do it then. Oh, and small correction, I think it has 3x2 PCIe cables. So I'll attach the third one. Maybe it'll help some.

Last edited:
Damn. Didn't know it was that poorly rated... I thought if it has 80+Gold rating, that it was good enough. Will look into getting better PSU ASAP. I'm thinking of getting a Ryzen 5950x soon, so will do it then. Oh, and small correction, I think it has 3x2 PCIe cables. So I'll attach the third one. Maybe it'll help some.
It's better to have 3 separate cables for sure but again, that PSU can not be truly trusted with such hardware, especially when you want to upgrade to a better and more power hungry CPU.

StGeorge991

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2013
It's better to have 3 separate cables for sure but again, that PSU can not be truly trusted with such hardware, especially when you want to upgrade to a better and more power hungry CPU.
Hey,
Just wanted to offer a small update, in case someone else has this issue. Haven't changed my PSU yet, but will do.
However, after a lot of googling, and stuff, I found a suggestion to fix fan curves, and it actually provided a significant boost to my FPS. Apparently, unlike my 5700x which would run up to 85-90 degrees without slowing down (and then abruptly crashing after reaching sometimes 100 :D) Nvidia actually throttles it's performance past certain temp, to keep temps down, and it would appear that temp is 60-65 degrees. Increasing my fans to work more, boosted my performance and my FPS, reaching now in Battlefield 2042 over 70 frames usually

Both AMD and Nvidia throttles GPUs when they reach very high temps. Your 5700XT (I think you meant XT because there is no 5700X) might had other issues like drivers that many 5700 and 5700XT had.

Fixing fan curve shouldn't fix your issues. You might have done something else while adjusting the fan curves which helped.

StGeorge991

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2013
Both AMD and Nvidia throttles GPUs when they reach very high temps. Your 5700XT (I think you meant XT because there is no 5700X) might had other issues like drivers that many 5700 and 5700XT had.

Fixing fan curve shouldn't fix your issues. You might have done something else while adjusting the fan curves which helped.
I think it was essentialy the fans. Since it seems, that since GPU wouldn't go over 65 degrees, and the fans weren't speeding up, so it was probably the GPU trying to maintain that temp, and then lowering the performance. I set the fans to go a bit faster, since default was 1300-1400 rpm, to 2100 rpm when it reaches around 60, it's getting better FPS. Still not what I've expected from 3080ti, or maybe I just set my expectation too high. I guess I'll see how it goes when I get 5950x.

80+ rating means nothing for PSU quality and power delivery.

Its used as a "efficiecy" metric nothign more. Most PSU makers only deliver 1 unit for each model testing, so you have to trust them they will keep using the same components on the street units and meeting the same efficiency, which is not always the case.

So yeah better look for reputabe brands and models and search forums, portals and youtube for testing and charts, for example: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...er-list-rev-14-8-final-update-jul-21.3624094/

Cheers

Reactions: dotas1
I think it was essentialy the fans. Since it seems, that since GPU wouldn't go over 65 degrees, and the fans weren't speeding up, so it was probably the GPU trying to maintain that temp, and then lowering the performance. I set the fans to go a bit faster, since default was 1300-1400 rpm, to 2100 rpm when it reaches around 60, it's getting better FPS. Still not what I've expected from 3080ti, or maybe I just set my expectation too high. I guess I'll see how it goes when I get 5950x.
What you are saying could NOT have impacted the performance so much. You either did not fix it fully, or if it was fixed, the fans had nothing to do with it.

It very well could have been just as simple as a fan setting, Nvidia GPUs need target power, voltage, and temp. If temps stay in check it will keep boosting till it hits a power limit wall.

At stock settings my card should boost to 1755MHz but actually hits 2025MHz, at full target power and voltage it will hit 2145MHz, this is without doing anything it will just boost its self to these speeds. So if his card was throttling itself at 60*c it would not hit its full potential.

It very well could have been just as simple as a fan setting, Nvidia GPUs need target power, voltage, and temp. If temps stay in check it will keep boosting till it hits a power limit wall.

At stock settings my card should boost to 1755MHz but actually hits 2025MHz, at full target power and voltage it will hit 2145MHz, this is without doing anything it will just boost its self to these speeds. So if his card was throttling itself at 60*c it would not hit its full potential.
You are correct about not reaching its full potential but we are talking about having worse performance than the previous GPU which was 5700XT, so no, his issue is NOT fan and temp related. It should have surpassed 5700XT performance easily.

StGeorge991

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2013
Additional update.
While the fan curves did fix the problem somewhat (and superpostion score was increased by around 100pts) I decided to do a few things.
First reinstalled the windows (haven't reinstalled it since 2016, which was surprise to me honestly, and I have changed a lot of stuff in my pc since 2016,, basically everything, MoBo, CPU, GPU, RAM, System drives etc)
Second I installed MSI afterburner instead of Palit's thundermaster (don't need it now, since RGB on the card is turned off), and have set memory clock to +400MHz, and Core clock to +150MHz (saw this often recommended for 3080ti), and now my superposition score is 18809pts (which is second result on 1080p extreme on leaderboards. The highest being 19096)

Additional update.
While the fan curves did fix the problem somewhat (and superpostion score was increased by around 100pts) I decided to do a few things.
First reinstalled the windows (haven't reinstalled it since 2016, which was surprise to me honestly, and I have changed a lot of stuff in my pc since 2016,, basically everything, MoBo, CPU, GPU, RAM, System drives etc)
Second I installed MSI afterburner instead of Palit's thundermaster (don't need it now, since RGB on the card is turned off), and have set memory clock to +400MHz, and Core clock to +150MHz (saw this often recommended for 3080ti), and now my superposition score is 18809pts (which is second result on 1080p extreme on leaderboards. The highest being 19096)
At least after a motherboard upgrade a clean windows installation should have been done. It leads to these kind of issues most of the time.
It actually has 3 outcomes. No difference, small to medium issues (like you) and not working at all.
The 5700Xt might also had lower performance than expected as well.

StGeorge991

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2013
At least after a motherboard upgrade a clean windows installation should have been done. It leads to these kind of issues most of the time.
It actually has 3 outcomes. No difference, small to medium issues (like you) and not working at all.
The 5700Xt might also had lower performance than expected as well.
Probably did, but I replaced it for various issues (AMD driver crashes, green screen, then crash etc, all of which are actually apparently very common for 5700xt)

TRENDING THREADS