[SOLVED] 3080 TI waterblock yielding worse temps than stock

Jun 6, 2022
so i am fairly new to pcs and this is my first custom built pc, i knew wanted to watercool my gpu eventually but didnt have enough when i purchases the card to get one with a waterblock already installed, fine, its just swapping paste and pads later on right? wrong

i dont have a picture of it but i ran 3d mark while stock cooled and got a score of just under 18000, now 3d mark thermal throttles during the tests, i cap at about 1300 instead of the stock 1900 mhz and 3d mark gives me a score of zero because of this.

im using the alphacool eisbaer 2 AIO with a 360ml rad (can be found at this link)
Kritical pads makes precut and sized thermal pads to the manufacturers specs at a supposed 20 w/mk. and i have thermal grizzly thermal paste at 12.3 w/mk for the gpu die

im having issues showing a pic of my hwmonitor but my temps at idle are 32-35C and under any load they jump to at least 80C, and while gaming they sit steadily at 92C topping of at a max of 94.8C and a hotspot of 106.8C

these were recorded during a rainbow 6 siege session, previously i would sit around MAYBE 80C max on the stock cooler

memory temps cap at 70C and i have no issues with those, so my problem has to do with my gpu die
i used a X application and minor dot in the center for the application of the thermal paste

Solution
:unsure:
The Kritical pads are specifically for the EVGA coolers. You changed coolers - things like depth and mounting pressure are likely different with the Eiswolf.
Memory temperature is in check, but gpu die and hot spot aren't, because the Kritical pads are too firm and don't have enough give to them, thus causing uneven mating of the die to the Eiswolf's cold plate.
If the Kritical pads were too soft, you'd likely see the opposite: good gpu core and hot spot, but bad memory.

Changing memory pads is an iffy process, as it's not enough to know the thickness - to make things more complicated, they come in different degrees of hardness/softness.
The Eiswolf came with its own pads, yes? Those should've been used first.

Assuming the...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I would advise on tearing down the cooling block/GPU assembly so you can inspect the contact of said block's raised points as well as the scoring/pressure points on the thermal pads. They can tell you if there's an improper contact being made on the GPU's hotspots.

Might want to also include images of what you're seeing before and after disassembly of the block. You might also want to inspect if all the screws are tightened down in the right manner.

Lastly, how is the cooling setup with regards to your build, i.e, the orientation of the radiator in your case? An image of your build would offer some more insight.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The Kritical pads are specifically for the EVGA coolers. You changed coolers - things like depth and mounting pressure are likely different with the Eiswolf.
Memory temperature is in check, but gpu die and hot spot aren't, because the Kritical pads are too firm and don't have enough give to them, thus causing uneven mating of the die to the Eiswolf's cold plate.
If the Kritical pads were too soft, you'd likely see the opposite: good gpu core and hot spot, but bad memory.

Changing memory pads is an iffy process, as it's not enough to know the thickness - to make things more complicated, they come in different degrees of hardness/softness.

Assuming the paste is TG Kryonaut: this model seems to be susceptible to pump out on bare die applications, so this could be another factor at play.
Thicker/more viscous pastes are more adequate for bare die as they have higher resistance to pump out.

By the way, w/mk doesn't amount to anything, so don't rely on it.

Solution
Jun 6, 2022

Assuming the paste is TG Kryonaut: this model seems to be susceptible to pump out on bare die applications, so this could be another factor at play.
Thicker/more viscous pastes are more adequate for bare die as they have higher resistance to pump out.

By the way, w/mk doesn't amount to anything, so don't rely on it.
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I would advise on tearing down the cooling block/GPU assembly so you can inspect the contact of said block's raised points as well as the scoring/pressure points on the thermal pads. They can tell you if there's an improper contact being made on the GPU's hotspots.

Might want to also include images of what you're seeing before and after disassembly of the block. You might also want to inspect if all the screws are tightened down in the right manner.

Lastly, how is the cooling setup with regards to your build, i.e, the orientation of the radiator in your case? An image of your build would offer some more insight.
ok so im gonna do a breakdown again with both of these in mind
i did do a breakdown already and my first set of pads looked like they had good contact so it may be that the Kritical pads are too stiff which would mean that the thickness could be reduced to help that?
i have 1mm thickness cut to size for kritical pads and i also have the eiswolf pads which i just looked and are 1mm

which is so confusing because why would the stock cooler be marked different -_-

ill try to upload some pics too but i was having difficulty with that earlier

Jun 6, 2022
Ok so I’ve re applied thermal paste, same kind
Applied 1mm thick pads and reapplied the 3mm backplate pads as well

got into a game of icarus (honestly the best thing to test your gpu, this game puts my gpu into overdrive)

NO FPS drops/stuttering
NO gpu throttling
Gpu is at the ram temps from my previous post, and hotspot is 9C above that, exactly what I’d expect for temps with watercooling

I’ll add pics of my card as well for future reference but I was a little apprehensive about the 1mm pads, company specs have different thicknesses for the pads they reccomend and they are too thick, but as you said those are probably used for replacing the pads for the stock cooler.

Side note I still have problems adding pictures but my gpu die only had partial contact with the water block mount due to the thermal pad thickness, because I was using TG kroon auf and it is thinner i was able to see that it never made contact.

thanks guys

TRENDING THREADS